She says she loves cats but doesn't want the responsibility

nikiway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cousin and I are always talking about how people dump animals, don't spay/neuter, never go to the vets, etc.
She's the one person who's always said that cats deserve better and when she sees a family that doesn't treat it right, she mentions beating them up and taking the cat for herself.
I guess that was all a show so she could feel more like me?
I would take every cat in need if my mom would let me! But 5 is her limit

Okay, well to the story.
Yesterday my cousin made me go grocery shopping with her at a store I don't go to, but I decided it was fine. As we were leaving she was like "OMG THERE'S A KITTEN!" I'm like, crap who does that! So She picks her up and says we're going to take it to her house, I agree because there are way to many cars around and noone seems to care that she's there!
So I hold her til we get to my cousin's house and she eats, drinks, and sleeps.
We called her mom and she was like "Uh huh, yeah, I'm all for it, we'll have to talk to your dad, we'll have to get her checked out before she sees our other two cats"
My cousin's all excited and she drives me home and promises to keep me updated.
I didn't get any messages from her til this morning when I texted her.
She told me that her mom likes Lilly, her dad said maybe, but now she doesn't know if she wants "it" because she doesn't think she can love her enough. (she mentioned Little Bear [her cat] stopping his love for her if she keeps Lilly)

I don't understand how she can talk about keeping her forever then the next day not know if she has enough love.
I know when our friend found Panda and Mylo (my two kittens) my cousin told me that she didn't think me taking them was a good idea, even though if I didn't, they would end up being given away to a family that would never take them to a vet because our friend thinks of cats as independent creatures that can fend for themselves.

Sorry that was long, I'm just upset about it because Lilly is sweetest little girl I've ever found! If my mom would let me, I'd open my heart for her and I know my Stinkey would love me just the same! I just don't understand how she thinks her cat would love her less.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an excuse to me. The cat and kitten should be ok if the kit is quarantined until given a clean bill of health from the vet, and gets appropriate shots, etc. And they should be properly introduced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikiway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I don't know. I guess I just had to vent lol.
I haven't talked to my cousin today. I think she's avoiding me because she knows what I feel. Oh well, I just hope she gives Lilly the life she deserves.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your outrage is warranted and a good vent helps sometimes.
Maybe you could pop by her house to see how Lilly is getting on? Perhaps you can tell your mother and if she is anything like most of us here she may just say,"Yes." She sounds like a cat lover with 5 already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikiway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Your outrage is warranted and a good vent helps sometimes.
Maybe you could pop by her house to see how Lilly is getting on? Perhaps you can tell your mother and if she is anything like most of us here she may just say,"Yes." She sounds like a cat lover with 5 already.
haha, we told my mom about Lily first and the first thing she said was "don't bring her to our house." (she says she can't afford the time and money for any more cats and that I'm lucky she's said yes to my two boys in September)
I spent the day at my cousin's house yesterday, and they're planning on keeping her.
They took her to the vet to get her shots and see about spaying, but the vet wants to wait a few weeks to make sure she's not pregnant. I hope she isn't!

Lily hisses and freaks out when she sees another cat. She doesn't like to be alone, but when their two cats are upstairs she has to stay down. That's the one thing my cousin said might be the reason they cannot keep her. My cousin's two cats just stand there while Lily runs to them hissing and scratching. I hope she gets over this!

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I can never leave a stray animal. I have four cats and 3 dogs. My house is like a zoo. My boyfriend has 2 cats he got from the local animal shelter and his house backs up to creek there are always tons of stray cats that come to the house for food. He also has a couple of sheds and we have blankets and stuff out there for them because they are totally feral and there is no way we could even attempt to bring them into the house. I understand your frustration. I am glad that your cousin decided to keep the cat and you did a good thing rescuing her!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html

There's a lot of information on the internet on introducing a new cat into the household. Don't let your cousin give up on Lily. The above is a link to some right here on thecatsite.

I'm glad you and your cousin were kind enough to rescue little Lily and that her mother was so receptive to keeping her. Good luck with her.