If we get the House what kind of Plants should we get?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The House has a big yard. I have all my Fruit Trees in Pots here. I have two types of Orange Trees,1 dead Coconut
The Winter killed it. 1 Kumquat Tree and 1 Grapefruit Tree. I have a Cana and a Bird of Paradise also. What else should I get? I am leaving those in Pots.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not much help for planting in California...I finally figured out what I can grow in my little shady Chicago garden. Good luck!

GailC's a landscaper, so I'm sure she can answer some of your questions. Then again, she lives in Green Bay, WI...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
flowers!

Try plum trees, apricot trees and lemon trees, i think it would adapt well to the californian climate... maybe? It did in our backyard in Australia...

I dont know about leaving them in pots though.

When i get a house, i am definetely planting a lemon tree, orange tree, fig tree, plum tree, peach tree ect. I wont have to go to the supermarket anymore!
And ill make yummy jams and pies and oo lala delicious fruit!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well yes I'm not really familiar what grows best in your climate. Check out this website ucanr.org as they will have information what grows best in your climate.

It also depends on the level of work you want to do in your yard. If water requirements are a concern I would check out Xeriscaping plants.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in MN, so probably not a lot of help in picking out trees in California. I suggest you tour the neighborhood and see what others have and if you don't know, then knock on their door - make a friend - and get advice on what grows the best in the area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
Almost anything grows here. The new Trees will be planted in the ground.
GailC thanks for the Webite. Its going to be hard to decide. I know I want some kind of Nut Tree but not sure what kind.
fwan everything you mentioned will grow here.
Everyone has Citrus Trees here.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ornamental prickly pear, century plant, really, any agave species, some of the larger aloe species, jasmine, hibiscus, gardenia, and maybe a papaya (they grow funny
)
Are you in zone 8 or 9?

If you are in zone 8 try Butternut, American hazelnut, Chinese chestnut, and English walnut, if you are in zone 9 (as is most of CA) , try almonds

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what zone I am in but Almonds are our number 1 Crop here. We grow 90% of the Almonds in the World here. We have a Almond Tree right outside my window. The other one almost came through the Window last Month. These belong to the Apartment Complex. I live on a old Almond Orchard. Is century plant that one that blooms once in 100 years then stincks when it blooms? I forgot to say I have a barrel cactus.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you're probably in zone 9.
I'm in a very tiny area of CA that is zone 10, opens up a huge list of possibilities, but lack of water means no citrus for me.
We have tons of eucalyptus though and of course oleander and lots of cactus.

I'd suggest oleander if you want a beautiful flowering hedge bush, but oleander looks very sickly in anything under 90 degree weather.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty soon it will be over 90 everyday. We already had four days over 100. The highest was 107. I will not get eucalyptus those make me sneeze non stop. We have alot of Trees here that have these Blue Colored Berries on them. We have no idea what they are. There are also Trees with very sticky stuff on them thats in bunches.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a magnolia? If they can handle the heat here then they should be fine out there.

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to add that to the list of things to plant when DH and I get a house!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a plant called ceaonthus(spelling is wrong I'm sure)-called California lilac by some-the flowers are spectacular!! I grow hazelnuts and just bought a purple leaved cultivar last year but the squirrels usually get the nuts!! Agave as mentioned above I have grown in a pot and have many,many babies-its winters in the house but there is a cactus that is native to Wisconsin and yes I have that too!! YOu might want to check out Phormiuns (spelling again) also called New Zeeland Flax-again I use in containers and overwinter in the house-its a cool plant!!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks,
Almost anything grows here. The new Trees will be planted in the ground.
GailC thanks for the Webite. Its going to be hard to decide. I know I want some kind of Nut Tree but not sure what kind.
fwan everything you mentioned will grow here.
Everyone has Citrus Trees here.
I had walnut and papershell pecan trees growing up here so they grow well in California. I also had pomegranite, apricot and fig trees. Also grapes. Strawberries grow well here also.

I would love to go to the apricot tree and just pluck a ripe one from the branch and enjoy. The same with the pomegranites. We would wait until they split open and then eat the seeds before the birds and bees did. My dad would climb to the top of the nut trees and shake the ripe nuts down. We would pick them up and sometimes sell the excess. There is nothing like fresh fruit and nuts directly from the tree!