chronic loose stool

paddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ragdoll kitten (13 weeks old) that developed loose stool about a week and a half after bringing him home. He also started sneezing and has one eye that tears a lot (all started several days after bringing him home). He seems in good health otherwise (e.g., lots of energy and eating/drinking fine). We had another ragdoll kitten that had the same issues. After going through various trials of medication and trying bland food the breeder allowed us to return the kitten and get a new one. After several days with the breeder that kitten no longer had loose stool. We thought it was something specific to that kitten. However, the same pattern is now emerging with the new kitten. The vet doesn't seem to know what could be going on. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he has two common but separate issues. An URI that needs meds for the sneezing and eye issue, and a fecal exam for the stool which could be a) parasites b) worms or c) or the result in a change of diet.

He needs to see a vet. Bring a stool sample when you go.

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is your water source? Same as the Breeder, or do you have well water? This just rang a bell with me as I had a similar issue in the past and it came from the water, the loose stool anyway. The other question would be how long between the other kitten and this kitten? Some things like parasites, coccidia hang around. Are you using the same litter pan as the other kitten? If so was it sterilized before hand. Some things that effect kittens/cats stay in our environment for awhile. One other thing is that Coccidia sometimes comes back when a kitten is stressed even after treatment is complete and they seem fine. Did these kittens ever have Coccidia before you got them? Hoping some of this may help you solve the mystery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about the water source. I was wondering if that is the issue so I started using bottled water a couple of days ago. no changes yet.
there was over a month between the other kitten and this kitten. everything from the other kitten was thrown out as a preventive measure. the other kitten didn't have worms, parasites or anything like that. Everything was tested.
As for diet, I am using exactly the same food as the breeder used with the kitten.
I'm very open to hearing any other hypotheses folks might have.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since this is a purebred, I suspect it may be Tritrichomonas Foetus. I'm in the process of testing my kitten for this now. One study showed about 31% of purebred cats had the parasite. The primary symptom is chronic loose stool and otherwise the cat appears completely healthy. Strange that the kitten returned to normal when it was returned to the breeder though. You should ask if she's ever tested her cats for this. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is tritrichomminus foetus treated?