1 of my cat's bought a...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...baby wild bird into the lounge!
well, they bought in two, we picked up one this morning, unfortunately it was dead!
the one am on about now, they just recently bought in, & it's alive! i have no idea what to do with it, as we can't locate it's nest!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Awww! Poor birdie! I hope you can save it but I don't know what to do for it.
well, in the end, i decided to put it back in a tree, halfway up. i just hope the mother bird find's it quickly!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's rather young. Sadly, at that age I don't think there's a lot of hope but those who have raised baby birds should know more. (has anyone on here raised them from that young?)

I do know you'll need some sort of gruel/slurry sort of mix for it. Maybe they make this for parrots but a wild bird would need insects... so that would probably mean you'd need to get some feeder insects from a pet store and mush them up in a food processor - there's other stuff that would need to be added so maybe your best bet is a quick search for a bird forum?
Also, you must keep it warm.

EDIT: Glad to see you found the nest.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wow, that's rather young. Sadly, at that age I don't think there's a lot of hope but those who have raised baby birds should know more. (has anyone on here raised them from that young?)

I do know you'll need some sort of gruel/slurry sort of mix for it. Maybe they make this for parrots but a wild bird would need insects... so that would probably mean you'd need to get some feeder insects from a pet store and mush them up in a food processor - there's other stuff that would need to be added so maybe your best bet is a quick search for a bird forum?
Also, you must keep it warm.

EDIT: Glad to see you found the nest.
yeh, i joined a bird forum & posted on there. however, someone said on there that, most hand-raised bird's will die. ohhh, i never found the nest, i thought it'd be better off out there, in case the mother bird came back. i wouldn't be able to save it, it's 2.30am here.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The baby bird has your scent on it and the mother will not accept it back, I have tried several time to raise birds from that age, and can tell you that its fighting a losing battle most of the time... Its very young, and will definatly die out there alone in the cold! Im sorry!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

The baby bird has your scent on it and the mother will not accept it back, I have tried several time to raise birds from that age, and can tell you that its fighting a losing battle most of the time... Its very young, and will definatly die out there alone in the cold! Im sorry!
ohhh, i did the wrong thing then?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually some mother birds will accept their babys back even with human scent on them. Mom and I found a nest with babies that young. We were cleaning a brush pile and knocked them out of their nest. Sadly one of them didnt make it but the other two did we put them back in their nest in the branches and the mom did take them back they just recently flew off.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is an old wive's tale, birds have a very, very poor sense of smell, they rely purely on sight.

As for putting it in the tree, that was absolutely the best thing to do.

Unfortunately, cat saliva in a puncture wound, or even ingested, can kill a bird with a pasturella infection in about 24 hours.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...enges/orphaned

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think putting it back in the tree was the wrong thing to do! Ive never personally ever seen a bird take one back, I think that one may have fell out of the nest or something, because I dont know if your kitty would go climbing a tree to get it! Which would mean it would cross the bridge either way! It should be with mother nature to let her do whats best for him! My cat brought me 8 baby bunnies once, we found the mom dead next door with a large tumour prodruding out of her head, they were covered in fleas and only days old! We almost had one live and it probably would have had my brother not stepped on him! He was left to roam in his room and cuddled up in his jacket that was on the floor! You can't feel bad about putting it in a tree, because on any other day thats where it would have been and normally when they fall out of the tree you find a poor little dead birdy on the sidewalk! Its sad, they look so sweet! He almost looked still egg shape! Have you peeked in the tree to see how he's doing??

Im sorry if my wording of my previous post was mean in anyway, I didn't intend it to be!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I dont think putting it back in the tree was the wrong thing to do! Ive never personally ever seen a bird take one back, I think that one may have fell out of the nest or something, because I dont know if your kitty would go climbing a tree to get it! Which would mean it would cross the bridge either way! It should be with mother nature to let her do whats best for him! My cat brought me 8 baby bunnies once, we found the mom dead next door with a large tumour prodruding out of her head, they were covered in fleas and only days old! We almost had one live and it probably would have had my brother not stepped on him! He was left to roam in his room and cuddled up in his jacket that was on the floor! You can't feel bad about putting it in a tree, because on any other day thats where it would have been and normally when they fall out of the tree you find a poor little dead birdy on the sidewalk! Its sad, they look so sweet! He almost looked still egg shape! Have you peeked in the tree to see how he's doing??

Im sorry if my wording of my previous post was mean in anyway, I didn't intend it to be!
i just asked my partner to go & have a look, i'll let you know what's happened once i know.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if you want a drive you can try bringing it too me?
ive bought up a baby pigeon before!

i got some syringes... worms and stuff aint hard too find either

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jasonjuicer

how sad! I wish I could be there to help find the nest
aww thank's!

Originally Posted by pixietina

if you want a drive you can try bringing it too me?
ive bought up a baby pigeon before!

i got some syringes... worms and stuff aint hard too find either
well, we can't see the baby anywhere. my guess is it's either dead, or the mother bird's took it back to the nest.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is not true. Birds do not have a good sense of smell except for scavengers most notably turkey vultures. A mother will always take a baby back if it is the nest. If the baby is injured, another little one in the nest may eat it, but that is another story.

Here is the link to our local wildlife rescue museum:

http://www.wildlife-museum.org/hospi.../songbirds.php

If you kitty brings in a bird, you may have to assess the damage. If there is blood or a significant loss of feathers, chances are the bird will die. The cat's saliva has a great deal to do with that.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question...3102922AALoxBO

At 2:30 am, the bird should be sleeping. Like the expert links say, keep it in a box or a paper bag, (easier) give it a towel to make it softer and for warmth, and DO NOT give it food or water.

I hope this helps. I am currently waiting to call the Lindsay museum hospital to find out if the CA Towhee that Butzie brought in to me will survive.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope mommy found it!! I didn't know bird had a lousy sence of smell, thats news to me! I guess I shouldn't listen to every old wives tale I hear huh! Ive never had any luck with the baby bird thing, there is one in my yard now but its bigger than yours, its hopping around and such so it must be older!

Anyone know if birds can carry other birds?? *trying to learn something new everyday*

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's not in that same spot it's dead. sorry to say but birds can't move their babies around like cats can move kittens. It didn't look very good in those pictures baby birds don't usually lay on their backs unless something is seriously wrong with them. Sorry about it but you tried your best. Also it is definalty an old wives tale that birds will smell human scent and abandon their babies. Birds can smell about as good as people so there is no way they would even know if their baby was touched unless the saw it. There was a little cardinal that fell out of the nest here and I put it back and all was well with mom and dad.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope the mother found it... If bird can't smell she probably would have gone looking for it!
yeh, i hope so!