Kitten to cat food - When to switch?

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious as to when it's "OK" to switch form kitten food (wet) to adult cat food (wet)?

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Technically most foods and vets say a yr... some on here say 5-6 months others 18-24 months ... depends IMHO on kittys size and activity level ... Zoey at age 4 still eats some kitten wet she is very active with a high metabolism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the reply but that doesn't really answer my question. I take it that, in general, if the kitten is over 6 months and is willing to take adult wet food, that I can go ahead and switch?

Thanks for the replies. They're appreciated.

Originally Posted by sharky

Technically most foods and vets say a yr... some on here say 5-6 months others 18-24 months ... depends IMHO on kittys size and activity level ... Zoey at age 4 still eats some kitten wet she is very active with a high metabolism

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest going all stage.. see I have a six month old who is a slight 9 .3 lbs , his vet says likely 13lb when grown .. all stage meets growth and adult requirements ...

what brands are you feeding??

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not feeding yet (meaning I don't have the kittens yet and when I get them in two weeks, they will be 12 weeks old), but plan to give Wellness kitten a try. Just ordered a case of 24.

I would suggest going all stage.. see I have a six month old who is a slight 9 .3 lbs , his vet says likely 13lb when grown .. all stage meets growth and adult requirements ...

what brands are you feeding??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah alternateing adult and kitten at over 6 months should be fine... check the can I think wellness has a all stage

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input.

yeah alternateing adult and kitten at over 6 months should be fine... check the can I think wellness has a all stage

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
personally, i didn't feed kitten to any of my last three [not after Firefox got to a healthy weight]. i had adult cats in the house, i'm gone all day at work - just wasn't feasible. Java, height/length wise, is as large as Pixel - just not as cobby [more oriental body type]. Cable's a bit smaller, but cobbier. Firefox is still the smallest, but she's only a year old - i expect her to put on a little more size. but she was so ill her 1st few months of life that she may always be a smaller cat.
i felt as long as i was feeding a high quality dry & good quality wet, [with supplements for Firefox for a while] that they'd probably do ok... & they did!

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have three kittens and we started feeding them adult food at around 8 months. They also get dry food, and they had been getting adult food in that form from about 6 months (our local shops didn't stock any quality kitten dry, so they were stuck with adult).

It really does depend on your cats - some people are very rigid about the 12 month thing, but our vet told us to go ahead and do the changeover.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried to keep them on it for the 12 month's but it didn't work. Rosie and Sophie stopped at 10 months. Jack wasn't really fussed on kitten kibbles at all and prefered the adult ones instead, but i'd sneak some in his wet food

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 months for me. My kittens eat the Wellness and are crazy for it. They are gaining weight nicely and I am happy with the results so far.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a normal, healthy, medium size cat, you can switch them to adult foods around 5-6 months old. My rexes (which only weighed 5-7 lbs when grown) were on adult foods at 4 months old. A larger breed cat like a Maine coon could stay on kitten food for 10-12 months.