Bread and it's plastic bag

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok heres the thing. Loki my male 7mth kitten is driving me round the twist with his obbsession with getting into the bread. When we come home with the shopping he is in the bags and when you go and put the bread away the bag is ripped and he's eaten at least a slice before we even get to use it. We try to close the door to the kitchen but sometimes we're not quick enough.

He also ate a bagel and the remminants were all over the floor with the eaten plastic bag.

Is he lacking in something that the bread gives him? or does he just have a massive appitite? Our 2 females are nowhere near as big as him and their both older. They all get 3 pouches of food a day.

help! Pls suggestions really appreciated

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Easiest solution is to just get a bread box and always make sure to put breads away. You can get some very nice looking wooden ones or have someone make one for you, if you wish.
Add a latch and it's cat proofed. Your other option is to put it in a cabinet with a baby lock or very strong magnet to keep him from opening the door.

I don't think it's so much that he needs anything specific from the bread, just that it smells good and is very easy to get into. Sometimes the simplest answer sums it up, in this case - he does this because he can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol yeah thats true but there is 6 people in the house 3 cats 1 snake a rabbit a hamster! i do have a bread bin but we eat alot of bread!..lol. I'll percivere..we still love him. cheers

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who does the same thing. I don't have any better advice than above: cat-proof the place the bread goes.

I keep some things in the refrigerator that really don't need to be there (like dry cat food) because the fridge is completely cat-proof.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forrest is my "bread boy". He'll try to eat waffles, bagels, bread...anything carbohydrate. I try to keep bread items away from him since it's not a good cat food but sometimes I'll give him a small taste as he really fanatically tries to get to the desired item.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow - and here I had just thought that Mr Fuzzy (yeah we ran out of names at my parents' place a few years ago) was just a freak -- he would do the same thing - eat through ANYTHING that he could just to get to the bread. None of our other cats ever cared about bread in the slightest.

We just put the bread way up on a high shelf atop the wood stove, where none of the cats would think of going.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Farley is my bread boy, he doesn't eat it just enjoys carrying the bread around

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Spot loved bread, and cookies, and french fries. With the bread, I think it could be a yeast thing--I've had a couple of cats who went crazy for the brewer's yeast I bought. Zek is more of a bag kitty--they must all be hidden in closed bins or drawers or he will find and chew on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hurrah I'm not the only one. Loki does also love just playing in plastic bags in fact so does Mogget but Magrat is too much of a lady to play with such things or even thinkabout stealing the bread...lol.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

My Spot loved bread, and cookies, and french fries. With the bread, I think it could be a yeast thing--I've had a couple of cats who went crazy for the brewer's yeast I bought. Zek is more of a bag kitty--they must all be hidden in closed bins or drawers or he will find and chew on them.
*laughs* You know, I'd never even thought about the yeast -- which is funny because we use Red Star nutritional yeast flakes as a treat for the cats, because they like it so much! (Literally they will LICK it off their kibbles...)