Shots and Petco! Anyone done this??

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, at least once a month, Petco offers vaccinations for a cheaper rate than a vet visit....and with gas being $4 here in MI on top of everything else that is crappy around this state, we are a little strapped on money. Therefore, I thought I see if anyone knows anything about this program Petco has.

Is it a good thing? Do they do routine shots? And anyone know how much they run? I was told a package of shots is cheaper than individual ones, but have no idea what the cost is running.

Anyone know?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
at least here they are done by a local vet and actually are the reg price - the office call

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the area what they run. Here, the petco is an hour away. The shots average $5-10 more than what they cost at my local vet, because I'm in a rural town.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Petco in California does have good prices, but the vet I go to has a clinic and you don't have to pay office visit. It runs about $7-14 per vaccine at the vet office.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only gets Shots at the Vets. Lucy almost died from a shot from a clinic so I have not gone to one since. She never was te same after that and I lost her at age 11.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My in-laws did that one year, only because they forgot to get their cat's rabies shot (required by law here) and had to get the license ASAP (also required). I don't think it was that much cheaper than the regular vet. They just couldn't get in to the regular vet in time.

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes i did this a few years back and they are the same shots that the vet would give your dog and it is a vet that is giving them they are cheaper but like i said its been a couple of years since i did this so if you need them i would do it again i know that you should go early because you do have to wait your turn in line it is first come first serve good luck

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brought Brady to Petco for a shot. He was already vet checked one month earlier so I got the shot for $17.00. It is administered by a vet and you don't pay a vet visit charge. That's the difference. The company here that goes to Petco is called luvmypet( it looks like they are in 23 states) so you can go to their site for prices.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Buster to the mobile vet clinic at a Pet store and it was a huge mistake. He developed an allergic reaction and itched so hard. Within a matter of hours, his fur came off, which left three bald spots at the injection sites. Plus, the skin turned black at those places from irritation. He also vomited and behaved in a lethargic manner.

I thought I could save a lot of money but in the end I spent more money because I had to take Buster to the regular vet in order to assure he was healthy. Fortunately, he recovered in a few days and the fur grew back.

Buster has been receiving shots since I found him in 2000 This marks the first time he developed a reaction. I'll just take him to the vet this year for his shots.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blast Off that is like what happened to Lucy. She would have died then if the Er vet did save her. I wonder if it was the same company. This was in South San Francisco.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Around here, the clinic prices aren't much better than a vet visit with vaccinations. I prefer having my pet checked by the vet as well as just getting shots.

Plus, in addition to the problem of a possible reaction, it can help to have a good relationship with your vet. Say two people call up and have an urgent problem, and there's one time slot open... who do you think is going to get that appointment, the person who brings their pets regularly for checkups, or the person they only see once every few years when there's a problem?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I swiped one of our Petco's flyers on prices when I was in there cleaning cat cages.

Rabies $21
FVRCP $21
Leukemia/FIV test $34
Leukemia Vaccination $21
Fecal Test $18
Microchip $48

From my vet:
Rabies $15
FVRCP $12
Leukamia/FIV test $25
Leukamie Vaccination $16
Fecal test $10
Microchip.... ??

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, the microchipping is outragous I think! most vets here are around $20-30 at most

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With a vet, though, is the office visit on TOP of the vacs? See, I think an office visit here is around $50..and honestly, $21 is a lot better than paying the $50 for the office visit and then an additional for any shots. No, I don't want reactions ,but I don't understand what the difference is between getting the shots at Petco or at a vet? I mean, they use the same stuff, right?

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I swiped one of our Petco's flyers on prices when I was in there cleaning cat cages.

Rabies $21
FVRCP $21
Leukemia/FIV test $34
Leukemia Vaccination $21
Fecal Test $18
Microchip $48

From my vet:
Rabies $15
FVRCP $12
Leukamia/FIV test $25
Leukamie Vaccination $16
Fecal test $10
Microchip.... ??

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I only gets Shots at the Vets. Lucy almost died from a shot from a clinic so I have not gone to one since. She never was te same after that and I lost her at age 11.
My incident occurred in Oakland. There is a mobile vet clinic called V.I.P., which is based in Santa Rosa, and travels to all the Pet Food Express chain stores in the Bay Area. I'm not sure what company Petco uses.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

With a vet, though, is the office visit on TOP of the vacs? See, I think an office visit here is around $50..and honestly, $21 is a lot better than paying the $50 for the office visit and then an additional for any shots. No, I don't want reactions ,but I don't understand what the difference is between getting the shots at Petco or at a vet? I mean, they use the same stuff, right?
Well, I want to take my cats for their annual check-up just to make sure everything is fine. I don't mind paying for the annual exams. The shots are just an added expense. I figured that I wouldn't cut corners for my own health, so why should my cats also receive substandard care?

I'm pretty sure the vets and mobile pet clinics use the same vaccinations. However, I can't understand why Buster suffered such a negative reaction then.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet doesn't charge an office visit on top of vaccinations, unless you request an exam.

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My vet doesn't charge an office visit on top of vaccinations, unless you request an exam.
Mine doesn't either

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know who V.I.P is and we didnt like them either. I have not used a Clinic in years I went to V.I.P when I lived in South San Francisco and my Cat got Sick. I rather pay more at the Vets. Not as bad as Lucy but she still ended up at the Vet. The Dogs never had a problem though.