Geez... talk about the loaves and fishes.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I decided to make chicken and dumplings as a nice Sunday meal for my husband and a few friends. Please keep in mind the recipe said "Serves Six". We knew we'd have some left overs, but we didn't realize it will fill the freezer!

I keep asking myself who the six people were that ate all of it. Were they football players? Pro wrestlers? Ultimate Fighting guys?

Anyone for chicken and dumplings?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

So I decided to make chicken and dumplings as a nice Sunday meal for my husband and a few friends. Please keep in mind the recipe said "Serves Six". We knew we'd have some left overs, but we didn't realize it will fill the freezer!

I keep asking myself who the six people were that ate all of it. Were they football players? Pro wrestlers? Ultimate Fighting guys?

Anyone for chicken and dumplings?
Did you use self-raising flour for the dumplings? I remember getting a frantic call from a German colleague while we were living in the U.S., who wondered why her dumplings were growing/mushrooming. She didn't know that some flours already contain yeast or baking soda, and picked up the wrong kind.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't made any in a while... and it never last more than two days even when I make a huge pot of it.

If there's too much left take some containers of it to your friends or family.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I love C/D - but my dumplings tend to fall apart and break down. What's the secret?
More eggs than the recipe calls for. Seriously - if the recipe calls for 4 eggs to a pound of flour, I use 6 EXL or 8 L.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I love C/D - but my dumplings tend to fall apart and break down. What's the secret?
I boil mine, so they cook in the broth. My chicken and dumplings is more of a soup than the way it's traditionally made. I use the recipe in The Whole Foods Market Cookbook. Click here to see what I'm talking about.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That recipe looks soooooo good!

I usually boil the chicken and seasoning and after that is done, in the same broth drop pinched off canned biscuits that make perfect dumplings every time.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried making chicken & dumplings once....it looked like cat vomit.

It was about then I quit bothering to make much, just the basics for me now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Oooh, that recipe looks so good, did it turn out well? (Aside from the super size portions, lol)
Oh yeah! It was really yummy!

catlover02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Did you use self-raising flour for the dumplings? I remember getting a frantic call from a German colleague while we were living in the U.S., who wondered why her dumplings were growing/mushrooming. She didn't know that some flours already contain yeast or baking soda, and picked up the wrong kind.
That's funny!
Anyway, I personally love chicken and dumplings.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHAT !!!! you made chicken and dumplings, and you did not invite your TCS friends(err mostley just me)