Please help cat recovering from urethral obstruction

tagta3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I noticed this past Wednesday that my cat (only 1 and a half years old) pooped out of the litter box and had began hiding himself. I took him to the vet and they said he had a urethral blockage so they took a needle and emptied his bladder temporarily until we decided what to do. I took him the same day to a 24hr hospital and they checked his bladder, as they were checking it, a mucus plug came out of his urethra and he started to pee and was slightly red due to some blood in his urine. They said the blockage had cleared, they gave him some electrolytes and gave us some pain medication for him (buprenex .3mg). He doesn't eat or drink, so we have been giving him lots of water through a syringe and 2 cranberry capsules (for cats) a day to prevent urinary infection, the blood is gone, which is good, he does not eat canned food, and he only eats a couple morsels of dry food, but he

1) Urinates on himself or if you touch him down there he starts urinating, sometimes when he walks he starts urinating, but there is no blood.
2) Still does not eat or drink on his own and turns his head when we try to feed him anything
3) Still remains lethargic/tired and stays hiding in one spot all day/night
4) He does NOT meow or strain I don't believe when he pees.

What is going on, does he just need more time to heal? Anyone please help!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you call the vet's office? I know it's a weekend but usually they have an emergency phone number. That is who you really need to call. I'm also going to have someone move this to the health thread where you might get some advice from others that have had experience with this.

Originally Posted by tagta3

Hi I noticed this past Wednesday that my cat (only 1 and a half years old) pooped out of the litter box and had began hiding himself. I took him to the vet and they said he had a urethral blockage so they took a needle and emptied his bladder temporarily until we decided what to do. I took him the same day to a 24hr hospital and they checked his bladder, as they were checking it, a mucus plug came out of his urethra and he started to pee and was slightly red due to some blood in his urine. They said the blockage had cleared, they gave him some electrolytes and gave us some pain medication for him (buprenex .3mg). He doesn't eat or drink, so we have been giving him lots of water through a syringe and 2 cranberry capsules (for cats) a day to prevent urinary infection, the blood is gone, which is good, he does not eat canned food, and he only eats a couple morsels of dry food, but he

1) Urinates on himself or if you touch him down there he starts urinating, sometimes when he walks he starts urinating, but there is no blood.
2) Still does not eat or drink on his own and turns his head when we try to feed him anything
3) Still remains lethargic/tired and stays hiding in one spot all day/night
4) He does NOT meow or strain I don't believe when he pees.

What is going on, does he just need more time to heal? Anyone please help!

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call the emergency vet immediately. He isnt eating, and that in itsself is a major concern. could they maybe keep him over night and watch him to see how he does? thats what I would ask of them...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the Er Vet. I had to take Coco at almost 2am last Monday because she was in the pan screaming and squating. The good thing she is a girl and will not block. They did see crystals in her pee. Your Cat needs to see the Vet he might have a Infection. She has Antibiotics and is ok right now. My Sisters Male gets Antibiotics everytime he has problems like your Cat. Can you have a Ultrasound done to see if his Bladder is ok? Coco gets another Urine test this week. Can someone put this in Health so more people will see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tagta3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has an appointment with the vet on Tuesday for a urinalysis to see if there is infection. In the meantime I put running water onto a small plate since I know cats like running water and miraculously he got up and drank lots of water a couple of times today. I'm hoping this will trigger his hunger. I have blended some wet cat food and chicken broth and given him the food through a syringe. He still pees on himself when moving or sitting down, I'm hoping he flushes out any infections if any with those cranberry pills I've been giving him. My vet wants $800-1000 to keep him overnight plus 130 for the emergency visit and I can't afford that. I really hope he gets better by his appointment on Tuesday. Thanks for everyones help. I'll keep you posted.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We payed 134 for the Er Vet last Mon.
Urined Test was 40.60
Cefa Drops 35
She finished teh Meds tonight so she hads to get a Urine Test at my Vet this week.
I hope your Cat feels better.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet wants $800-1000 to keep him overnight plus 130 for the emergency visit and I can't afford that. I really hope he gets better by his appointment on Tuesday. Thanks for everyones help. I'll keep you posted.
That is really expensive. I didn't pay that much when Mary had to stay a week in the ER per night. That is completely outrageous to me. I would encourage you to look for another vet in the meantime. Someone who will work with you and your budget. Money should never be an impediment to a pet's well being.

It is good he drinking water and helping to flush himself out. I would spoon feed him or syringe feed him a little. A cat not eating is not a good sign. He could be in some pain from an infection and therefore not eating. Poor guy. I hope he gets well soon.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your poor kitty any better? I know you must be worried sick. At least he has pain meds so he is not in pain. When we took Fluffy for her spay, she did not eat much at all when she was on them. I hope that is why he is not eating well.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...I'm hoping he flushes out any infections if any with those cranberry pills I've been giving him...
I would suggest some caution in the use of the cranberry...it may be a "trendy" and allegedly holistic treatment, but, what you need to realize is that this will acidify his urine. An urine pH either side of the "magic line" can cause crystals of different kinds. An urinanalysis really needs to be done te determine just where that's at. And frankly, if you're using good quality wet foods, I think you'll find that his urine pH will self-regulate.

I'd also offer that, IMO, the use of cranberry in a cat is totally inappropriate.

And, more frankly, I think the cause of all this is to be found here
...he does not eat canned food...
If you were interested in changing his diet to a majority of wet, you'll find some help here.

Recently, this site has a guest expert, an holistic Veterinarian host a forum. You can hear the same message from her here.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told not to give Craberry to my Cat. It can cause Oxide Stones. The only way to get rid of that kind is Surgery. 800 is way to much just for over night.. I payed over 1000 for Er for 2 night but the Cat got a Blood Transfusion too. How come they want to charge so much for a overnight stay. My Vet is high and they do not charge that much. they are the number one Vet here too.

tagta3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally agree that the cause of the blockage was eating dry food, I have stopped the feline cranberry pills. We have been feeding him through a syringe as much as we can using canned food for urinary support with a mixture of chicken broth. He has lost so much weight and can barely support himself, he's going to the vet 9am tomorrow. I'm so shocked how a once happy playful cat turned into this overnight. I've been research the past week for solutions. I will keep everyone posted. To know that he is only alive today from the water intake makes me so upset and depressed. I hope a solution will be found at the vet.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your kitty. I have recently gone through something similar with mine. I watered down a/d canned food enough to syringe feed several times per day. I had to wrap my cat like a burrito in a towel, and gently put my hand over the top of his head, squeeze his cheeks to get his mouth open, and syringe the food off to the back and side of his mouth. Don't try to squirt it down the middle or it could cause choking or aspiration. I did this (with the support of people on this site) and I know that I saved his life. He hated it, and I thought he'd end up hating me, but he's better now, and he still loves me. I also had to do this with 3 different meds including antibiotics. The meds were not that expensive.
I hope your vet can do some tests and isolate the problem. Keep us posted on progress.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

...We have been feeding him through a syringe as much as we can using canned food for urinary support with a mixture of chicken broth. He has lost so much weight and can barely support himself...To know that he is only alive today from the water intake makes me so upset and depressed...
Just hang in there. You're doing all the right things now. I feel confident that he will bounce back - continue to get some of the soupy food and broth into him with the syringe...even small amounts, periodically.

tagta3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm starting to wonder if maybe he had partially unblocked and not fully, because he is always dripping, so could it be that his bladder is full and his urethra is partially blocked so the pressure keeps him leaking all the time? I felt for his bladder and I didn't feel anything abnormally large, at least I don't think. Can a UTI cause a cat to keep leaking on its own like this, by walking or moving or getting up from laying down?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Kinda of like when people get UTIs. It could be a partial blockage or it could be that peeing hurts so he tried to hold it but can't.
I would really consider only canned foods for awhile.