Remember the family that let Dorothy run loose?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may recall Dorothy, a beautiful Siamese mix who belonged to a family four doors down from me. They left her to run loose all day long -- even though the poor kitty was declawed!
Long story short, I made a safe(r) place for Dorothy in our fenced yard, fed her and played with her... and when she'd chosen to stay there for a month, I finally just got her rehomed. She now lives in a fabulous downtown condo with a wealthy middle-aged woman and an orange tabby named Murray.

Anyway, that same family also had a small white dog who ran loose as well. I nearly ran over him in the street once, and my mom had to drive right into our fence one day to keep from hitting him in our driveway. I went over and told them about it, but it didn't seem to faze them. They just don't get it about being responsible with their animals. Several months later, the little white dog disappeared, and of course I fear the worst... though I'd like to think somebody took him in, the way I did Dorothy.

Well, that family just got a new dog: a Rottweiler. Now before you castigate me for being afraid of Rottweilers, let me say that I do understand how bad owners create dangerous dogs through cruelty or through deliberate training. I recognize that a Rottweiler can be a perfectly lovely animal.

But dogs (and cats as well) can "turn" for no apparent reason, and they can get confused or frightened and react in unpredictable ways. When a Chihuahua suddenly has a vicious moment, nobody's life is in danger -- but in that same moment, a Rottweiler can kill a person.

We've all heard stories about vicious dog attacks. Around here, hardly a week goes by without such an incident. And the scariest example I know of happened right in front of a friend of our family: he carried something in from the car for an older woman in his neighborhood, and when they walked in the front door, her Rottweiler just leaped up and ripped her throat out. Her own dog! She bled to death before help even got there.

It's just plain foolish not to be extremely cautious with Rottweilers and other dogs who are capable of killing so quickly. That's not prejudice -- it's just common sense.

So back to these neighbors: the dog has scared me silly twice now with threatening behaviors, ignoring his family's efforts to control him, chasing after me, growling while shoving his face against the backs of my legs as I was walking away. (It was all I could do not to break and run, but I knew that would be a mistake. When I got inside the house, I sat and shook for ten minutes.)

I've been doing so well with walking every day, getting so much stronger and losing weight... but now I'm afraid to go out! Even if I go the opposite way and stay off of my own street, it's still not safe, because the dog runs all over the neighborhood, with and without his people.

We've been very fortunate here: other people in this neighborhood consistently keep their dogs behind fences or on leashes at all times. And it doesn't have to be a hardship for the dogs, because there's a huge fenced dog park just a mile or so down the walking trail behind our house. If they want to let their dog off the leash, that's the place to do it!

So I'm torn between two courses of action:

1. Write the family a friendly letter explaining about the city's animal ordinance and how it's for the dog's safety as well, telling them about the dog park in case they aren't aware of it, etc.

2. Call Animal Control and see if they'll go have a talk with the family.

Which approach would be less likely to make them angry? Which approach would be more likely to get them to comply with the ordinance?

Even if I remain anonymous, they're going to suspect it was me, after these two scary incidents. I really don't want to upset them!

Any suggestions?

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i would try the letter see how they react and then if no avail get the animal control...
like youve said if a rotty doesnt have the right control or owners then it will turn bad...
good luck carol!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about this. You are doing so well on the exercise.

First I would contact the Animal Control people to understand what exactly they and you can do.

Do you think the neighbors would be receptive to working with you? Can you get some support from your other neighbors so you don't have to go it alone?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would take the animal control route. A nice letter won't impact people like this, besides are you sure they can read!!? After all they are behaving like ignoramuses!!!!

Hey, you're worried about ticking off these people? Well, they're not terribly concerned about your welfare or the welfare of their neighbors in general if they're letting this big,strong dog run loose. So, maybe if they're told the next time we will take the dog or write a citation... and that will cost them the animal and/or money... that might take with them.

What if there little kids in the neighborhood... and that dog goes after one of them... I mean, really.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call Animal Control. They know how to deal with these situations and if something happens where the dog does get more aggresive then its good to have a call on record.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should call animal control first, also. The only rottweilers I've ever been around were some of the nicest dogs I've ever seen, but I was still careful.. they do make me feel a little nervous.

I can only imagine what would happen if that dog got ahold of a little kid.. years ago, a rottweiler got ahold of a kid and killed him while he was waiting for the school bus.. somewhere close to us I think, and it was all over our news. Surely I'm not the only one who knows this story.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call animal control.

Also if the dog is acting like that invest in some direct stop. its basically doggy mace. It doesnt hurt the dog, it is just uncomfortable for them. Then just carry it with you when you walk. I believe they sell the stuff at petsmart but it isnt cheap.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that you should call animal control. They are obviously ignoring the leash laws in your town. You have every right to be able to take a walk and not feel threatened by an unrestrained dog. I would also invest in some mace. This would be helpful regardless what type of assailant (human or canine) threatened you! Good luck!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have contacted them about their previous dog and they did nothing. I would call animal control. The dog has threatened you. If he was growling and shuffing his face against the back of your legs, that is a threat. the dog needs to be taken away from this family.

Like others have said, the dog could attack a child. The child wouldn't know not to run and then the dog would charge.

CALL ANIMAL CONTROL NOW BEFORE ANYONE GETS HURT OR KILLED!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect that your city has an ordinance about free roaming dogs and what they are doing is illegal. Call the city to verify the ordinance then call animal control. The best that can happen is that they find the dog a proper home. The worst is that they will euthanize for aggression. And I know you well enough that you would feel forever guilty if they did that, but you really can't allow an aggressive dog to run loose without proper supervision.

My DH is the ultimate dog lover and even he used to carry sticks and rocks when he would run the rural areas to throw at the dogs that would follow him and attack him. The only dog that ever bit him was a poodle. He hated to do it, but we didn't have leash laws in our area and he was training for a marathon and had to run. He told me that nothing stopped a dog quicker than a small rock bouncing off them.

Ask Animal Control to talk to the neighbors and if its possible fine them to make a stronger statement to them. Irresponsible people hate to be hit in the wallet and that might get their attention.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, animal control is your best bet. Talking to them didn't help before, and I doubt a letter would help now. You may, however, what to write a letter for animal control's records and contact the rest of the people in the neighborhood and have them sign it. If the dog is bothing you, I'm sure that there are other that are just as bothered and that way it will be on record that you aren't the only one with a complaint.

Our best friends have a Rottie, and he is a big teddy bear BUT he is also well trained (better trained than my dogs!) and his owners don't let him get away with anything. But I agree, ANY big dog that isn't trained and runs basically wild is a hazard. Like you said, if a little dog attacks, you get bites on your ankles; if a big dog attacks you can be killed.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm gonna go w/the rest - call Animal Control. obviously, these people aren't going to listen to you - they didn't in the past, did they?
i'd also get the Direct Stop, as well.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another vote for animal control and some kind of self defense spray. They obviously don't care to be responsible with their pets. That dog could hurt anyone including you. I would want to have my warning call on file should he hurt another neighbor or (heaven forbid) a child.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I suspect that your city has an ordinance about free roaming dogs and what they are doing is illegal. Call the city to verify the ordinance then call animal control.
I would also write a letter to the mayor's office, and send a copy to the local newspaper if you don't get a response, to ensure that something is really done about the matter.

A large dog can do a lot of damage. We had a nearby family that let their German Short-haired Pointer (a breed not known for aggression) run loose. He attacked other dogs, and the people wouldn't listen to pleas/complaints. Nothing was done until the dog badly injured a teenage girl who was trying to protect her little mutt.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call Animal Control. IMO you've already had talks with them on responsibility in the past. Seems they don't want to listen. And when you call AC, tell them about their past animals and the fact they do NOT control the dogs but allow them to run loose and terrorize the neighborhood. Too late when a child or elderly person gets attacked and hurt or killed cause of them!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, as you know, the magic words in our area are "my attorney" or "my lawyer." Sad but true. Use them.

If you can call before June 4th, use "school children at risk" if you are close to the elementary school or a park.

Plano is pretty good about animal control.

It's not the dog's fault, but they do have to control it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I personally would take the animal control route. A nice letter won't impact people like this, besides are you sure they can read!!? After all they are behaving like ignoramuses!!!!

Hey, you're worried about ticking off these people? Well, they're not terribly concerned about your welfare or the welfare of their neighbors in general if they're letting this big,strong dog run loose. So, maybe if they're told the next time we will take the dog or write a citation... and that will cost them the animal and/or money... that might take with them.

What if there little kids in the neighborhood... and that dog goes after one of them... I mean, really.
I agree totally. Definitely go the animal control route.