Advice about kitten (had accident) needed asap please...

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We have 3 kittens who are 7 weeks old and yesterday morning we came downstairs to discover 1 of them had hurt one of her front legs - she was holding it up and limping. She just wasn't her normal self and didn't eat anything all day and slept most of it.

Today she has still not eaten anything and doesn't even want to feed from mum, so its been 2 whole days with her not having anything inside her. Her leg seems better, she is putting weight on it now and attempted to play a little earlier on, but she is still sleeping quite a bit.

Just wondering if/when we should take her to the vets and if there is anything else we can do to help her, she does seem to be getting better when it comes to her leg but concerns her that she doesn't want to even feed!

We will of course take her to the vets if this goes on much longer, but don't want to do this unnecessarily.

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

chanceofrayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont know alot about cats(my mom does) but i would take her to the vet.she needs to eat.

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes take her to the vet ASAP. Cats cannot go without food... by as early as the third day their livers can start shutting down. (and im not sure about such young kittens but hopefully not sooner for them!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i'd take her to the vet, too. i took Cable after i stepped on her paw when she was a kitten. it was only bruised, but i felt more at ease after taking her in. & she was eating just fine, but limping.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She probably sprained it playing. If it was just a slight limp, you could just watch it, but the not eating is very concerning, and definitely should be a trip to the vet.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I follow the old better safe than sorry rule. If I have any question that my cat is ill or injured I call the vet and get them in. I would rather them tell me there was nothing wrong than to find out later that they now have something serious wrong because I waited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was all ready to take her to the vets that morning but there was a drastic improvement, she was playing, eating food and feeding from mum - back to her normal self! So pleased! It's very worrying when they dont want to eat or play or do anything...

Thanks again x

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nicochick

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was all ready to take her to the vets that morning but there was a drastic improvement, she was playing, eating food and feeding from mum - back to her normal self! So pleased! It's very worrying when they dont want to eat or play or do anything...

Thanks again x
It's good that whatever it is seems to have cleared up, but I would still take her in for just a checkup to make sure.

heidi2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there
i just had the same problem with my kitties try to give her can food and see if she will eat it. If she is not drinking anything she has to go to the vet they will give her some fluid's. but try can food first!
With the foot is fine if she is putting weight on it there might just be a soft tissue damage and the will heal by it self!!!!!
I would say within 3 days it should be all much much better!
Believe me i had it on 4 kitties now they just play to hard!!!!!
I hope i could help u a lil
good lick

heidi2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Heidi2001

Hey there
i just had the same problem with my kitties try to give her can food and see if she will eat it. If she is not drinking anything she has to go to the vet they will give her some fluid's. but try can food first!
With the foot is fine if she is putting weight on it there might just be a soft tissue damage and the will heal by it self!!!!!
I would say within 3 days it should be all much much better!
Believe me i had it on 4 kitties now they just play to hard!!!!!
I hope i could help u a lil
good lick
Im sorry i just saw ur last post!

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

It's good that whatever it is seems to have cleared up, but I would still take her in for just a checkup to make sure.
I agree... I would also take her in just in case.

at least shes improving and eating though!

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she was in a light shock, wouldn't be surprised if she was eating some, but when you weren't around. Keep an eye on her potty and make sure there isn't any blood showing up. she might have had a little internal bleeding if she ran into something. The vet is always a good idea, if the kittens are old enough 4-6 wks it is a perfect time to take them all in for their first kitty visit. Alot of vets will charge a litter rate for shots and stuff, much cheaper and he can double check the one that got hurt while you're there.