Help me! Cat pee!

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats. One is aggressive, and started attacking the others. He;s on Prozac now, I have another on amitriptyline. Someone started peeing in the hallway right in front of the closet door. Everyone has been vet checked, no UTI's this is all stress related. Well, the pee seeped into the wooden door. Now the bottom of the door is swollen and the door smells like pee. The carpet smell I can take care of, but how in the heck do I get pee out of the door? Is it doomed? Am I going to have to replace my door?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

Now the bottom of the door is swollen and the door smells like pee. The carpet smell I can take care of, but how in the heck do I get pee out of the door? Is it doomed? Am I going to have to replace my door?
If the door is deformed I think it needs to be replaced. Sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well it's not deformed, per say, you can just tell that it;s rubbing at the bottom, and it never did that before. Which is why I'd like to save the door, because it still LOOKS normal, and is only rubbing a little. But, if the cats can still smell the pee, then they're going to keep peeing there. I just need to know if there's anyway to penetrate the door to get the smell out and still save the door.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try but if it is soaked through I am not hopeful that the door can be saved. Enough pee to buckle it is a lot of pee. You may want to cut your losses.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scrub it down the best you can with all the deodorizing stuff you can find, and then take a hairdryer to it (for a long time). It sounds like the moisture got into the door and caused the wood to expand. It may be too late, but you can try. If that doesn't work, find someone who can sand down the part of the door that's rubbing. After that, I do recommend painting it with some kind of sealant to prevent this from happening again.

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if the door is damaged you need to replace it, but I also think you can maybe try to put your cat on a training program if he is that aggressive.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that will seal in the odor and stop it is Kiltz (used to cover walls before painting). I'm not sure if you can use it on a wood door. You are probably looking at having to replace the door.

Once pee gets into wood, its next to impossible to remove.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by danits_24

I think if the door is damaged you need to replace it, but I also think you can maybe try to put your cat on a training program if he is that aggressive.
Not sure what you mean. He is on Prozac, which was our last resort.

As far as the door, if you look at it, it looks totally normal, but rubs a tiny bit on the bottom. My boyfriend can sand it so it doesn't rub anymore, but I don't really care of it rubs. I just wanted to try and save the door, because its an old door and if I replace it, I'm going to have to replace all the doors, trim, etc, so it will all match. BUT, the good news is that no one has peed there in 2 days, so we might be in business.