The people in this house are so ridiculous!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we're in my room and my mom and stepdad are in here and they got the kittens out for a while and my stepdad starts saying about how "we need to set a date to get Callie spayed and her and Clover both declawed".. um, they never do anything bad in the house with their claws!

We haven't used soft paws for a while because Clover had them on and got her claw stuck in the strings in the blinds one time, but luckily I was home to help her get out of it. Besides, Clover is spayed and spends more time outdoors than inside. Plus, she's my cat, and she's coming with me when I'm not living here anymore.

Can anyone find and post links here about why declawing is so bad so I can show them to mom and maybe she won't let them get declawed? She didn't even say anything when it was brought up, and that makes me so mad! I've talked to her about it before, so she knows I don't want them declawed.

Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that is totally wrong and should be illigal in all
places..poor cats

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO anyone that declaws their cats should be declawed, too. I wonder how they would like having their fingers chopped off at the knuckle.
I hope you can keep them from maiming your cats. Many and prayers that you can convince them.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

IMHO anyone that declaws their cats should be declawed, too. I wonder how they would like having their fingers chopped off at the knuckle.
I hope you can keep them from maiming your cats. Many and prayers that you can convince them.
I had my mom read the information on declawing.com.. now hopefully when it's brought up again, she'll say no. I told her we should go get a scratching post, and she was looking at some online.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whilst i realise that with ignorance some people are unaware of the stress, pain and ongoing issues both mental and physical that declawing brings, i would challenge any right minded person to look at pictures of a declawing procedure and the aftermath and still think it is ok.

good luck with educating your family, sounds like your mum is getting the right idea!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

whilst i realise that with ignorance some people are unaware of the stress, pain and ongoing issues both mental and physical that declawing brings, i would challenge any right minded person to look at pictures of a declawing procedure and the aftermath and still think it is ok.

good luck with educating your family, sounds like your mum is getting the right idea!
I looked at pictures of a kitty being declawed..
My fingers hurt so bad just thinking about it. I offered to show my mom pictures after she read the article, and she said she didn't want to see it, so maybe she's getting my point.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of a small scratching post, you should build or buy a treehouse. The cat will use it more then the post. It needs to be a minimum of 4 feet high. And learn to trim nails and keep them short. I'm not sure if you've tried the Soft Paws nails caps.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Instead of a small scratching post, you should build or buy a treehouse. The cat will use it more then the post. It needs to be a minimum of 4 feet high. And learn to trim nails and keep them short. I'm not sure if you've tried the Soft Paws nails caps.
I'll have to mention that.. anything that they'll use for scratching that isn't our furniture is good enough for me.
Also, I did mention trying Soft Paws, but we haven't for a while.

Originally Posted by h~chan

We haven't used soft paws for a while because Clover had them on and got her claw stuck in the strings in the blinds one time, but luckily I was home to help her get out of it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have them read the story about Bea and all her problems caused by declawing (and having to do a 2nd surgery - another declaw cause the first one got messed up)! If anything will stop a declaw from happening that story should.

WhiteCatLover is the current owner of poor little Bea. Do a PM to her and ask for the link

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have them read the story about Bea and all her problems caused by declawing (and having to do a 2nd surgery - another declaw cause the first one got messed up)! If anything will stop a declaw from happening that story should.

WhiteCatLover is the current owner of poor little Bea. Do a PM to her and ask for the link
I haven't read about that, so I may have to see about sending a PM. Thanks.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Golden is right, trim their nails once a week and they won't hArm anything, even when they do scratch.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

Golden is right, trim their nails once a week and they won't hArm anything, even when they do scratch.
We've actually never tried trimming their nails.. so I'm a little embarrassed to ask.. is there a special kind of nail trimmer I should get to trim their nails with?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I use trimmers like this which I got from PetsMart. Some people use regular nail trimmers for people. Some sites that show how to:

http://files.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/..._cat_claws.pdf
http://cats.about.com/cs/declawing/ht/trimclaws.htm
http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

I started out very conservative, just trimming the very tip more frequently like once a week. As I grew more confident, I now take more off in a session.
Ohhh, thanks! I think I'd rather try using those than regular nail clippers that I use myself. I'll definitely look for some when I'm at Petsmart next. The how-to links will be put to good use, too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I use trimmers like this which I got from PetsMart.
that's what i use, too. i used people clippers on Cable when she was really little, because the other 2 cats were declawed & i'd never needed clippers before. then, when i got some, i got the guillotine type - but i find them hard to use, especially on a squirmy cat [i.e. one that isn't being cooperative], so i got the scissor type. they're much easier to use, IMO.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that's what i use, too. i used people clippers on Cable when she was really little, because the other 2 cats were declawed & i'd never needed clippers before. then, when i got some, i got the guillotine type - but i find them hard to use, especially on a squirmy cat [i.e. one that isn't being cooperative], so i got the scissor type. they're much easier to use, IMO.
I tried the guillotine type and felt like I was always too close to the quick. The scissor types are easier to maneuver.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the scissor ones. On very young kittens I use a normal fingernail clipper till they are older. If you've never done it before, either get your vet tech to show you or a friend who has experience.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use regular people clippers. I keep a separate pair just for cats. I have tried the scissors type, but for some reason it didn't work well on my cat - I found that it shredded the claw instead of making a clean cut.