How High is Too High

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got Kat Wallks for my babies - they are three. I am wondering if I put them up 7 feet high and they fall will they get hurt. I always feel insane asking these type of questions - I just worry they could get hurt.

Thanks!!!

P.S. The reason I ask about falling is they do chase each other around and am afraid one will mistep in fear.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can get hurt from falling. So many people think they will always land on their feet, when that is just not the case all of the time. I would make that judgement based on your cats. I know I would feel totally safe with 3 of mine at heights like that, but two of mine would totally be rambunctous, so I wouldnt allow them on something that high.

I do have some really tall cat trees, but they are multi layered.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the floor carpetted or hard? Is there anything hittable between the walks and the floor?

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's only a myth that cats can fall of high places and not get hurt... You can put a blanket or a pillow so you won't have to worry something will happen to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The floor is carpeted and I can keep the area clear underneath. It is going to be in the spare bedroom so I can put more padding under. I think to be on the safe side - I am going take them down if I have to go out of town for two nights.

They are still young and I want them to stay active but not at the risk of their health - I guess that is why they are indoors kitties.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by danits_24

It's only a myth that cats can fall of high places and not get hurt....
....but can survive:
when given prompt medical attention, cats which sustain a fall from two to thirty-two stories have a 90% survival rate!
from this article:http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=709 and others with corroborating info.

What's interesting is that the survival rate is higher above two stories. A cat has the best chance if there's enough of a fall to right itself. So a short fall is actually more dangerous than a higher fall. Somewhere on youtube there's a video of a cat falling out of a tree from about 30 feet up, bouncing off a branch, then landing on its feet and running away. Cats are quite incredible survivors.