please help. Semi urgent

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't breathe. Both of my nostrils are plugged from sinus stuff and allergies. I've taken zyrtec. And a claritin two benadryl and a mucinex. I just want to breathe I haven't been able to breathe for about twenty four hours and I'm tired and want to go to bed. I'm crying my head hurts and I'm whining

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry.
Try some Nyquil, I know you said it's from allergies but it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to look and we don't have any

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Vicks Sinex nasal spray? It always helps when I have a stuffy nose - at least temporarily so that I can get some much needed rest. My husband and I both have a lot of sinus and allergy issues and it has been a lifesaver for us. It's kinda stingy, but it does help.

I hope you feel better soon!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was going to the say, try the spray also.
or go stick your head in something with lots of steam. to loosen it up.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a sinus infection?

I wouldn't keep mixing all those over the counter medicines. I had a really bad sinus infection once that was caused from allergies and I was so stuffed up and my head was slamming. Nothing would clear me up and I almost OD'ed myself on sinus meds. You may want to call your DR asap.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
for temporary relief, you can use the long-acting [24 hour] sprays w/oxymetazoline HCL - they work WONDERS!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I just went to look and we don't have any
Do you have anyone willing to go get some nyquil? Or if you have vicks vapor rub you can put some in boiling water with some sage and inhale it for a while. I did that once when I had a head cold and that totally cleared my sinuses up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all I defintitely don't want to OD on meds I did find some nyquil and asked dh what he thought as he used to work in pharmeceuticals he said I could only take one and as its memorial weekend I only want to go to the dr unless its really really bad. I can't believe how bad this is right now

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zyrtec, Claritan and benadryl should not be taken at the same time. Two of those three can make you jittery by themselves and the combination is not good. They can also raise your blood pressure and make the headache worse.

Take a hot shower, staying in the bathroom for 20 minutes or so. the steam will help open your head up.
Get a heating pad and lay it on your pillow. Lay face down, with the heating pad covering the cheeks and forehead - make it so you can breathe.
Saltwater nasal spray - used as often as possible.
Afrin Original Formula, one spray in each nostril every 12 hrs, for a maximum of 6 times. If you use it longer, it will cause rebound pressure and that hurts worse than what you are going through.

Stand upright and then bend over so your upper body is parallel to the floor. If the pain increases, you need to see the doctor. Honestly, if you are feelign the need to take all of thise meds, you should go n anyway.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to go to a Urgent care clinic to get some good stuff. You could have an infection and that can't be cured by OTC meds.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest salt water/saline spray also. But, if your headache gets worse when you lean over, you have an infection and need antibiotic. Do the test that Mom of 4 recommended. If it's a sinus infection nothing you take will really help, unless it's antibiotics.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Afrin nasal spray and a nasal rinse! I've been battling a cold this week and I swear by them!!! The nasal rinse is a kit I got from the drug store... it's a bottle and packets of powdery stuff... you put the powder in the bottle then fill with warm water and it feels weird but it works, you put the bottle top in one nostril, open your mouth and squeeze half the solution through then switch nostrils... I swear, it's awesome! I do it like twice a day plus allegra, vitamin C, and Motrin and yeah I've had the cold since Tuesday, but I KNOW it's almost gone by right now... I even went out to the bar for like 6 hours with my cousin tonight haha good luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Zyrtec, Claritan and benadryl should not be taken at the same time. Two of those three can make you jittery by themselves and the combination is not good. They can also raise your blood pressure and make the headache worse.

Take a hot shower, staying in the bathroom for 20 minutes or so. the steam will help open your head up.
Get a heating pad and lay it on your pillow. Lay face down, with the heating pad covering the cheeks and forehead - make it so you can breathe.
Saltwater nasal spray - used as often as possible.
Afrin Original Formula, one spray in each nostril every 12 hrs, for a maximum of 6 times. If you use it longer, it will cause rebound pressure and that hurts worse than what you are going through.

Stand upright and then bend over so your upper body is parallel to the floor. If the pain increases, you need to see the doctor. Honestly, if you are feelign the need to take all of thise meds, you should go n anyway.
Fewer meds, more steam. Plain saline nasal spray. Hot decaf tea. Doctor if you can possibly swing it.

I know how miserable it is to feel the way you're feeling... hang in there, hon.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Afrin nasal spray and a nasal rinse! I've been battling a cold this week and I swear by them!!! The nasal rinse is a kit I got from the drug store... it's a bottle and packets of powdery stuff... you put the powder in the bottle then fill with warm water and it feels weird but it works, you put the bottle top in one nostril, open your mouth and squeeze half the solution through then switch nostrils...
I agree with the Afrin. I can't take any allergy meds, but my nasal passages have been literally swollen shut. Afrin works instantly! No side effects and it isn't systemic. I use the 12 hour formula, once in the morning and once before bed.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've had some great advice...I'll just add that for me, to drain my sinuses and clear out my nose some, I make a chicken soup (or just broth) and make sure it has onions, garlic with a good dash of tabasco..the hot sauce gets everything draining, the onions/garlic have vitamin c and other good properties (I'm all for garlic for humans!)

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had lots of sinus infections and colds, so I feel for you! A hot shower, lots of sleep, and liquid Tylenol nightime (its blue), spicy foods, and of course lots of water and more water. Hate to be gross, but if your snot is not rust colored, it might not need antibiotics. If youre not at least a little better after the weekend, go see a doc cause sinus infections aren't something to mess with. If it is allergies, Claritin works way better than Zyrtec, for me anyway. I hope you feel better soon!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Fewer meds, more steam. Plain saline nasal spray. Hot decaf tea. Doctor if you can possibly swing it.

I know how miserable it is to feel the way you're feeling... hang in there, hon.
Absolutely agree. You're already on too many meds right now and if you take more, you will OD yourself. Trust me, you don't want a bad drug reaction. My 2 personal remedies: hot compress over your forehead, eyes and nose, and very hot salsa to cause your sinuses to drain.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My 2 personal remedies: hot compress over your forehead, eyes and nose, and very hot salsa to cause your sinuses to drain.
You say very hot salsa, I say tabasco
It sure does help me get things draining

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You sound like me lol. You need to lose the many different allergy meds, they are working against each other. Musinex (sp) will help you drain. The sinus rinse is good. A steaming shower will help your sinus relax. I found that a neck massage helps loosen my sinuses and drain my ears. Spicy foods are good if your stomach is not too upset. Peppermint tea works great too and will settle your stomach (from all the meds). I also find that a heating pad over my face for 20 mins., laying on stacked up pillows, followed by an ice pack for 20 mins, then nothing for 20 mins. and repeat helps the best. The hot to cold seems to loosen and bring down swelling. Most importantly, close your eyes and try to relax. Warm mist humidifiers will help the air in the house and if you don't have that, boil some water it will help humidify the house. Remember to check it occasionally so I doesn't boil off. Good luck