I set that lizard free for what?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie, the lizard catcher par excelance brought me her usual lizard or 3 today. I always tell her what a good lizard catcher she is and thanks for bringing them to me. Then I pick up the lizard and put it outside and just keep thanking her (better than live mice).
Today, I come in, find Butzie with a lizard in the living room. It is missing part of its tail. I go to pick it up. The rest of it's tail is right there - Still moving!

I put the lizard outside on the front lawn.

I was just looking now outside my window at the front yard. A Stellar's Jay is bopping on the lawn looking for bugs. Suddenly, it picks up a lizard. Same lizard! I could tell by the tail.

That lizard was doomed.

x-vegancandy-x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a gecko maybe?
They will lose their tail (grows back...not that that poor lizards will ...
i love lizards...heh) but it still moves after to distract predators so they can escape.

& Awws? Mice.I had over 40 pet ones one time! I miss the little stinky buggers

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Losing their tail is part of the defence mechanism for a gecko. Ellie keeps catching them here and plays with the tails for ages because they keep moving after the animal has lost it. She ate one the other day! Quite revolting.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
eeeeew

Be thankful its not mice. One of my cats is quite the mouser, and always brings the family lots of presents-dead and alive

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other types of lizards than geckos, and many that lose and regrow tails.

She could have caused internal injuries - which is why it didn't run. In the future though, if you want them to possibly survive, release them under a bush, thick plant growth, or near a pile of rocks so they can have some form of cover. And if you know she's eating any of these lizards, make sure to have her checked for worms and flukes regularly as lizards can carry both.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like lizards and they are good for insects around your home and cute to see so that story makes me sad. 3 every single day? That means she kills over 1,000 (1,059 to be exact) lizards each year alone!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy mine are indoor cats!
My first cat was a birder....would bring these lovely pretty birds to the stoop...dead
Very sad.

I don't know if I could handle it on a regualr basis.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, those of you with the lizard hunters, have you seen the May page of this year's Gary Patterson Cats calendar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by x-VeganCandy-x

a gecko maybe?
They will lose their tail (grows back...not that that poor lizards will ...
i love lizards...heh) but it still moves after to distract predators so they can escape.

& Awws? Mice.I had over 40 pet ones one time! I miss the little stinky buggers
Not a Gecko. I looked them up before and posted this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...+costa+lizards

Originally Posted by theimp98

just more proof that some days,
your much better off just staying in bed.

You crack me up Bruce! You're right, that lizard was having a bad hair - err, scale day!

Originally Posted by jennyranson

Losing their tail is part of the defence mechanism for a gecko. Ellie keeps catching them here and plays with the tails for ages because they keep moving after the animal has lost it. She ate one the other day! Quite revolting.
Had one of those moving tails the other day! Yuck!

Haven't seen Butzie eat any lizard or tail.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

So, those of you with the lizard hunters, have you seen the May page of this year's Gary Patterson Cats calendar?
Nope, does it show other fierce lizard hunters?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It shows a fierce lizard hunter giving his just-awakened owner a morning surprise.

If you go to this web site:

http://www.calendars.com/product.asp..._Wall_Calendar

Click under the photo for "other views," then click "back cover." It's the painting in the upper right corner.
I can't really see the detail of the picture because I cannot zoom in on them. But I think that I get it - "I hunted all night just to bring you a lizard for breakfast!"