Soft Claws

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I know this subject has been talked about over and over but I have two specific questions. I FINALLY got Soft Claws put on my crew. Question one is has anyone who uses them for their kitties had a cat that had two different sizes needed? I was putting medium size on Jazz and about three or four of the claws are too small for the medium. Now I have to run out and get some small to do on those.
The other question is just my being a worry wart, has anyone had a cat swallow one? Everything is fine right now, just was curious.

Thanks!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never used them. I just clip the nails. It seems that my younger cat's nails grow much faster than the older cat's nails.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you can easily trim the soft paws to make them a bit shorter, so that they'll fit her smaller claws. they're easy to cut w/scissors... just do a little bit at a time, from the open end.

dkperez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, this HAS to be some kind of cruel joke!!!! I got a set of Soft Claws for Skye. They're the kitten size since she's very small for 6 months.... And she's very good natured, letting me trim her claws with no problem...

So, I figured putting these things on would be a snap! HAH! The process went something like:

Put kitten on lap.
Get tube of glue away from kitten.
Remove baggie of claws from kitten.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Put tip on glue.
Find out no glue will come out.
Cut glue tube and put tip back on.
Go FIND kitten who has escaped.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Grab first soft claw. Remove baggie of spare tips from kitten.
Get baggie of soft claws away from kitten.
Hold kitten with one hand, claw with another hand, and apply glue with another hand (yes, I know I need three hands for this!)
Extend paw to expose claw.
Find claw where it's fallen on the floor.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Hold kitten with one hand, extend claw with one hand, and handle claw with third hand.
FINALLY push soft claw on kitten's claw...............
Find claw on floor where kitten shook it off.
Repeat process of getting kitten, claw, and glue back in soft claw.
Repeat process of getting soft claw back on kitten........
Hold kitten so she can't get rid of soft claw...
Kitten can't bite soft claw 'cause I'm holding her, can't shake claw loose 'cause I'm holding paw.... So INSTEAD, she take her OTHER paw, the one I don't have enough hands to hold and PUSHES the claw off.......

Release kitten, close glue, put soft claws back in baggie, put entire thing back in package, watch kitten having a great time playing, and suggest that WIFE (who has been laughing so hard tears are running down her face) get back off the floor where she's collapsed!

I think the problem is that the soft claws, even the "tiny" kitten ones, are about 3 times bigger than her claws... While Skye is a lot of fun, as you can see she's full of energy and really likes attention... I'm going to have to try trimming the soft claws and try again, but I think I'll wait until Skye is sleepy and my wife isn't home!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I never really had any trouble applying the softclaws to Darcy, she would commence to chewing on them them moment I released her after the glue was dry. I am sure she ended up swallowing bits of them but it never seemed to negatively affect her. I was just always disappointed in how quickly she managed to chew them all off.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dkperez

OK, this HAS to be some kind of cruel joke!!!! I got a set of Soft Claws for Skye. They're the kitten size since she's very small for 6 months.... And she's very good natured, letting me trim her claws with no problem...

etc!
The Soft Paws are definatley a two person job. We also bribed her with a treat after every claw.
With mine, I guess she was just in the transistional stage between growths because she grew to the point where a couple wouldn't come off. I was so afraid they were painful and they literally took 3 months to fall off. That glue sure is sticky becasue I couldn't remove them myself.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The soft paws website says they are safe if swallowed, so you can rest easy on that account, anyway.

I hope you have better luck in the future.

dkperez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmph! Would'a been a LOT easier if my wife hadn't found the whole process so hilarious!

As I type, the beastie in question is sitting on my leg watching the screen! And, on the inside, I KNOW she's laughing!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious. If your kitten is letting you trim her nails without any problems then why bother with Soft Claws ?

Love that name Skye for your kitten, very pretty.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, here's what i do... seems to make the process go more smoothly.
i get out 10 claws, lay them out, then put glue in each one. then i get the cat, & apply the claws.
i then hold the cat for 2-3 minutes, then test the claws to make sure they're adhered well. if not, i reglue any that need it.
if they're still on after 3-4 weeks, i cut off the tip [like i'm clipping the claw] & the rest usually slides off.
Cable's stay on the longest - Java's seem to come off the quickest [i think she chews them more].

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I don't have a problem with Oliver and the soft paws but I can offer some suggestions:

I put Oliver in his harness or a pet t-shirt because it makes him "slinky" and he won't bolt away - I leave him in said torture device after application for about 10 minutes to make sure the glue dries

I also do not use the glue that comes in the pack since I find it does not work well at all and/or ends up being all dried up (who knows how long the packs sit around in warehouses) I buy regular super glue or nail glue for human glue-on fake nails... just like with the included glue, use common sense and don't put too much in each cap

I used to cap Oliver's "thumbs" too and I'd clip the caps so they would fit, but I did find no matter what glue I used, those caps fell off very quickly, so I just stopped capping them - they don't really do any damage

dkperez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why try the soft claws? Well, if I can keep her claws trimmed, and she continues being such a good cat and not scratch, I'm happy. The soft paws were just an idea to make sure she can't damage anything 'cause I really hate the idea of declawing......

I figure I"m not done trying... Lessee, 300 lb human with opposable thumbs versus 4 lb kitten.... Yeah, seems like I should be able to stick some simple plastic caps on her claws!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dkperez

So, I figured putting these things on would be a snap! HAH! The process went something like:

Put kitten on lap.
Get tube of glue away from kitten.
Remove baggie of claws from kitten.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Put tip on glue.
Find out no glue will come out.
Cut glue tube and put tip back on.
Go FIND kitten who has escaped.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Grab first soft claw. Remove baggie of spare tips from kitten.
Get baggie of soft claws away from kitten.
Hold kitten with one hand, claw with another hand, and apply glue with another hand (yes, I know I need three hands for this!)
Extend paw to expose claw.
Find claw where it's fallen on the floor.
Put kitten BACK on lap.
Hold kitten with one hand, extend claw with one hand, and handle claw with third hand.
FINALLY push soft claw on kitten's claw...............
Find claw on floor where kitten shook it off.
Repeat process of getting kitten, claw, and glue back in soft claw.
Repeat process of getting soft claw back on kitten........
Hold kitten so she can't get rid of soft claw...
Kitten can't bite soft claw 'cause I'm holding her, can't shake claw loose 'cause I'm holding paw.... So INSTEAD, she take her OTHER paw, the one I don't have enough hands to hold and PUSHES the claw off.......

Release kitten, close glue, put soft claws back in baggie, put entire thing back in package, watch kitten having a great time playing, and suggest that WIFE (who has been laughing so hard tears are running down her face) get back off the floor where she's collapsed!

I think the problem is that the soft claws, even the "tiny" kitten ones, are about 3 times bigger than her claws... While Skye is a lot of fun, as you can see she's full of energy and really likes attention... I'm going to have to try trimming the soft claws and try again, but I think I'll wait until Skye is sleepy and my wife isn't home!
I think I just about laughed myself to tears just reading that! LOL!

Next time have your wife tape it for all of us to see,

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, I have tears in my eyes over all the laughing on that one!

It is a 2 person job for sure.

I chose to not declaw either of my 2 cats. I keep their claws trimmed, but when I rent a vacation home that has leather furniture, I use the soft claws. My mother has a leather couch, but I just put a slip cover on.

Mine like to run through the house and sometimes vault over the backs of the couch, so I feel safer this way. They are well trained to their scratchers, but I'd hate to have a hole punched in a leather couch on that one time either of them was attracted to something else.