Pet Carriers

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get a carrier before I pick up my little kittens in a few weeks. Since they will still be fairly small, I am planning on just getting one carrier and then getting another one in a few months so that they will both have enough room.

What sort of carriers do you folks have and which ones do you recommend? I'm looking for a combination of quality and affordability, if possible. My budget isn't very large, namely because I must pay for the rest of the cost of the kittens when I pick them up.

Thanks!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hard plastic carriers tend to be very inexpensive. They tend to be in the $15-$40 range. And I prefer them... my cat freaked out in fabric carriers and could rip through them and escape. In a hard carrier he seems to feel safer, and knows he can't get out.

In terms of individual brands, I think you just want to look for a sturdy one with a design you like. And I'd make sure the handle is big, sturdy and comfortable to hold... I've seen some carriers made with narrow wire handles, which is a bad idea when you're toting a cat's weight.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree completely with emmylou's suggestions. Another thing to look for is either seat belt tabs or a handle big enough to thread a seat belt through, to keep the carrier secure in a car.

I use some soft-sided carriers for my cats, but only began using them after my cats matured and had proven to be calm on trips. I like the soft-sided ones because I can sling the strap over my shoulders and carry multiple carriers at the same time. But I still use a hard-sided carrier for my one cat who is easily startled, and I still have enough hard plastic carriers for all my cats just in case I need them.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree... and you need to make sure (unless you want to upgrade later) that one carrier will comfortable hold an adult cat. Or you could get an over sized carrier and just crate them together, even as adults. It might be more comforting to them to be together. Not my cats though... I didn't want the hard ones as we live in a small apartment and don't have a lot of extra room so I invested in two soft carriers that I can collapse then under the couch when not in use.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the hard sided medium carriers from Petco/Petsmart. They are pretty reasonable in price. While kittens are small, you need to think about how big they might get. I had a smaller carrier for my rexes - worked with Charlie up to him being a year old - then I had to go buy a new/larger one

I also have a soft-sided carrier that will fit small to medium cats that I can use on the plane if necessary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for being helpful so quickly! You folks are so nice.

So your recommendations seem to be to purchase one medium sized hard plastic carrier that will easily hold an adult cat, and use it to bring both the kittens home and take them to their first visit to my vet.

Then, before they get too large, purchase a second medium sized carrier.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I don't have a Petsmart or Petco in my area, but I have some other stores. I just wanted some advice, I guess! Thank you.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to soft sided carriers. When we moved to Iowa, one of our plastic carriers had a handle snap off and the carrier with a cat in it went tumbling. He was ok, but I was terrified he would get out--and it was a busy parking lot. Since then we've replaced our hard sided carriers with 2 soft sided ones like this. I also have 1 Rubbermaid Pets carrier that was designed by Graco. I don't think they sell them anymore.

My cats do not dig to get out of the carriers or panic, etc. So it's not a problem at all for us. Nabu really the soft-sided kind. He's a burrower when he travels.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I switched to soft sided carriers.
i have 4 soft ones & one hard plastic one. one of the soft ones i got at dollar general - it was only $14! it's a bit small - Chip wouldn't fit in it.
the other 3 soft ones are shaped like littelravens, but have a cat print tapestry outside instead of the black.
i've kept the plastic one, because i need to have a carrier per cat, just in case... but i rarely take more than one cat somewhere at a time, & even then, it's never been more than 2.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually wanted a soft sided carrier, but most of the soft sided carriers that I have seen are 40 or 50 dollars. I was surprised to see the carrier in Littleraven's link was only $19.99! I wonder if I could order it and it would get here in time...

I will definitely visit Dollar General and see if they have any, though. I would never have thought to look there for pet stuff!

Thanks for all the advice. I will at least get a basic plastic carrier that is large enough for one of them as an adult.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I will definitely visit Dollar General and see if they have any, though. I would never have thought to look there for pet stuff!
i just happened to see it there last spring [probably not there anymore, y'know]. they also had blue ones, for boys. it was labeled as a dog carrier, but it would have to be for a toy breed, if so.
i looked for a pic of it - i know i took some, 'cause Java loved it & laid in it a lot... but i didn't see it on my photobucket. probably never uploaded it to the account. i did find a pic that looks like the other 3 soft-sided ones. they're pretty roomy - Chip fits in them.

the one from Dollar General is triangular - comes to a point at the top.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I've ever actually bought a cat carrier from a store!
Most of my cat carriers have been either from ebay, classified ads/sales or they came with one of my pets (mostly the ferrets...)
The best ones as far as holding up well and being inexpensive are the Vari-kennel plastic type. However most of my cats really dislike being in those. I have several sizes and I would recommend not buying the smallest size. I also have a few plastic carriers on wheels, those are nice when you have heavy cats but they are not quite as sturdy as the Vari-kennel type. I also have a Sherpa Bag which I got for about $5 (brand new) at a shelter's silent auction/sale and my cats seem to like that one better than the plastic type. My favorite carrier though is the stroller/carrier I bought on Ebay for $40. It's made by Pet Gear and it converts from a stroller to a carrier to a car seat. Very useful!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two soft-sided carriers, different styles. They stay out out year round and the girls sleep in them or on top of them all the time.
I've used them for long car trips and not had any issues.

One of my Old English Sheepdogs decided she wanted out of her softsided crate and destoyed it in 5 minutes - 150 dollars wasted!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

One of my Old English Sheepdogs decided she wanted out of her softsided crate and destoyed it in 5 minutes - 150 dollars wasted!
I had one of my dogs' soft-sided crate wrecked twice...the other once. The first time was my fault. I had my terrier in it when he was recovering from surgery and I accidentally left the double zipper down low instead of zipping it up near the top. My terrier decided he wanted out and started working at the zipper to open the crate, and ended up tearing a hole in the door by the zipper. I was able to sew it back together, but then a few years ago I had my Golden in it at dog camp. Well, she apparently chose that time to get sudden separate anxiety and she ripped the door to shreds! I am still hoping I can patch it up with some paw-proof screening I have...
The other soft dog crate I had was destroyed by a feral rescue cat. I had him in it for quite a while as I tried to tame him, and he was fine in it... Then I had to goaway for about a week and had a relative feeding him while I was gone. Well, he suddenly decided to rip a big hole in it and get loose in my bedroom while I was away. The person who was watching him could not figure out how to catch him again (I warned them not to try picking him up-- luckily I'd had the cat tested/vaccinated!) and he also took that time to ruin my favorite bedspread by using my bed as a litterbox.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB Damita, who was blind, could eat her way out of any soft sided carrier. As a result, I am leery of them.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I actually wanted a soft sided carrier, but most of the soft sided carriers that I have seen are 40 or 50 dollars. I was surprised to see the carrier in Littleraven's link was only $19.99! I wonder if I could order it and it would get here in time...

Thanks for all the advice. I will at least get a basic plastic carrier that is large enough for one of them as an adult.
Don't forget Big Lots if you have one nearby too. I got one of our nice soft side carriers from Big Lots for $20. I had also seen one like our Rubbermaid soft sided carrier for that or less at Big Lots.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Don't forget Big Lots if you have one nearby too. I got one of our nice soft side carriers from Big Lots for $20. I had also seen one like our Rubbermaid soft sided carrier for that or less at Big Lots.
BigLots is a great place!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a Big Lots, but it closed last year.
Too bad, I would have loved to go there to see if they had any pet carriers!

I will have to be careful not to look at too many different stores, trying to find the best deal. With gas prices the way they are, I will waste more money driving around town than I would just buying one that was $5 more.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the plastic PetMate carrier with front and top doors, which is somewhere in the $30 range depending on what size you get. Having the top door makes it easier to get Wally into the carrier, as well as get him out at the vet's office. I've thought about getting soft carriers, but I just feel the hard carriers offer better protection, especially in the car. Good luck!