TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Don't let the bed cats bite.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't let the bed cats bite.

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I woke up this morning at about 4:00 am to go to the bathroom. I got back in bed and Zane jumped up with me. I was just drifting off to sleep. I wasn't touching him or doing anything when he bit me on the arm.

This isn't the first time he has done things like this. Most of the time he's a sweet loving cat, but now and again some short-circuit happens in his feline equivalent of a brain and he does this.

I just don't understand it. I feed him, I water him, I brush him, I clean his litter box, play with him, I pet him, I take him to the vet, in short I do everything I can think of to keep him a happy, healthy cat and he attacks me without provocation. If I could figure out what behaviors on my part trigger these attacks, I at least could avoid them, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
post #2 of 13
Good luck is all I can offer.

I am in the same situation--except mine is worse--the biting happens all the time.

I woke up this morning at 8 am and Jack was biting my chin and trying his hardest to get to my arms--which I have now learned to keep completely under the covers.

Unfortunately, Jack has no idea he is hurting us--he's just playing.

Leslie
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
The vet tried putting him on Prozac. First, the effort to get the pills into him was pretty traumatic for both of us; second, the only change I noticed was that he started "Hoovering" his food and if his dinner was late he'd get frantic. That's when I got the automatic feeder, so that if I stayed late at work or something he'd still get fed on time. He's off the Prozac now, and seems to have stopped Hoovering.

But why does he bite me? It hurts! I've never mistreated him, I've always done everything for him; even before Father died I took over most of his care. He's a sweet, loving cat, but sometimes he gets these turns. I can't have him doing this not only to me but to other people. If any of his bites get infected and I tell the doc it was from a at bite, he'll be oblidged by law to call animal control and they'll have him put down as a vicious animal, and he isn't, at least not most of the time.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal View Post
If any of his bites get infected and I tell the doc it was from a at bite, he'll be obliged by law to call animal control and they'll have him put down as a vicious animal, and he isn't, at least not most of the time.
OMG, this thread mentioned such law. I thought it was only in Texas.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
He did it again last night. I was half asleep and when I felt the bite before I realized what was happening I my arm had come around and swept him off the bed. When I heard the 'thump', I realized what happened and sat up, wide awake. I turned on the light and saw him slumped by the dresser with an expression of "What happened?" He got up and didn't seem to be hurt so I said, "That's what you get for biting!", turned out the light and pulled the covers over my head.

The next morning he was in bed with me, so I guess no hard feelings.
post #6 of 13
How old is he? Billy didn't outgrow his nipping until he was two. Like yours, it was totally random. He got me once bad enough that I had to go to the doctor's for antibiotics, and yeah, they had to quarantine him for 10 days to test for rabies, though thankfully we did it at my house.

Anyhow, Billy's four now and doesn't bite or nip at all anymore unless he's overstimulated, and that's easy to avoid. If I remember correctly, Zane is still a young cat, so it might just be a phase he'll outgrow.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
How old is he?
I'm not sure. He came to us as a full-grown cat. I'd guess he's between 8 and 10.
post #8 of 13
Is he the only cat?

Is he young?

Our male cats were both fairly aggressive when they were young, under a year. To fix Enzo's problem we got him a playmate. He was the only cat and was taking out his aggression/energy on us.

Good luck!
post #9 of 13
if I get good answers, I'll be glad to share, as I can relate.
MG is about 5 or so, came from SPCA a few months ago. he's neutered (don't know at what age, but was that way when brought in). he was subdued the first week then out of the blue bit me on the arm and it's been a ride ever since with unprovoked attacks of scratching & biting. he actually lunges at me with a vicious expression, ears go back. for no reason-I could just be sitting there not doing a thing. he has his own bedroom and at night he has to stay there and other times he's behind closed doors in my room-can't allow access to rest of house due to other furry family whom he can't be trusted around, despite slow, and planned introduction attempts. forget it, I stopped trying on that one-it's a lost cause. trying homeopathic aggression medication, but he persists. I am a lifelong animal lover who is caring, doting, loving and kind to my furry family members. I can relate to the bewilderment of wondering WHY THE HECK HE ATTACKS when he is treated so nicely.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagushe View Post
if I get good answers, I'll be glad to share, as I can relate.
MG is about 5 or so, came from SPCA a few months ago. he's neutered (don't know at what age, but was that way when brought in). he was subdued the first week then out of the blue bit me on the arm and it's been a ride ever since with unprovoked attacks of scratching & biting. he actually lunges at me with a vicious expression, ears go back. for no reason-I could just be sitting there not doing a thing. he has his own bedroom and at night he has to stay there and other times he's behind closed doors in my room-can't allow access to rest of house due to other furry family whom he can't be trusted around, despite slow, and planned introduction attempts. forget it, I stopped trying on that one-it's a lost cause. trying homeopathic aggression medication, but he persists. I am a lifelong animal lover who is caring, doting, loving and kind to my furry family members. I can relate to the bewilderment of wondering WHY THE HECK HE ATTACKS when he is treated so nicely.
I suppose I should be grateful that Zane the Insane, the Cat of Tiny Brain, AKA the Tubby Tiger, the Plump Panther, the Ovoid Ocelot, the Pudgy Puma, the Lumpy Lynx, the Lardbutted Leopard, the Lazy Lion, or the Chubby Cheetah, isn't nearly that bad.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Is he the only cat?
Yes. He hates other cats. When my late father acquired him, he already had another cat, and it was like the Cats of Kilkenney.

Quote:
Is he young?
Middle aged for a cat, I think.
post #12 of 13
I would just lie if you have to go to the vet about a bite. Say it was a stray cat that bit you.

Leslie
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal View Post
I suppose I should be grateful that Zane the Insane, the Cat of Tiny Brain, AKA the Tubby Tiger, the Plump Panther, the Ovoid Ocelot, the Pudgy Puma, the Lumpy Lynx, the Lardbutted Leopard, the Lazy Lion, or the Chubby Cheetah, isn't nearly that bad.
Yeah, well, even though Zane isn't quite as "vicious" it's still no picnic for you!
LOL at all his aliases! I tell MG that he's just plain crazy! Now just a few minutes ago he was getting petted and was content. But after 5 minutes tops, I disengage as a safety measure. He will settle down and then curl up comfy in the room for a while. He does want the attention-it's almost like he's mis-wired somewhere. I may give Rescue Remedy a whirl.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Don't let the bed cats bite.