New member: Pussy Mooshkin

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all

Just thought I'd introduce myself as the latest cat fanatic to join the forum!

I had my first cat when I was about 4 - we found him being chased by dogs on bonfire night, rescued him (he was a little kitten) and he lived with us for years until he got sick and my mum had him euthanised. I don't remember the details but I do remember missing him like crazy.

Once I grew up and left home, one of the first things I did was get two kittens, Hatrack and Woosie. That was in 1991. Over the years I've had a number of other cats, including Mwnci Diawl and Titw and their various litters of kittens (later rehomed), Minky, and more recently Llinos Lwyd and Bibi (Bibi was killed by a car at the end of March and we miss her like crazy).

Now we're down to just the one cat, Llinos Lwyd, and it feels so wrong to only have one cat in the house, having always in the past had at least two (and more often three or more). So, once our local shelter lets me know that they have kittens that need adopting, we're going to adopt two and probably call them Mimi and Paddy (after the Maguires in the UK comedy drama Shameless).

I can't live without cats in my life... we have a dog too and I love him to bits but it's not the same as having a cat. Luckily the dog (Jack) likes cats too, and they seem to always warm to him (even when we take him for walks, local cats run over to say hello!) so we shouldn't have any problems when the new babies arrive.

My daughter who's 18 is also a cat obsessive, and I can remember when she was little the only game she ever wanted to play was "being a cat", where I had to do her hair up in little buns either side of her head (she called them cat ears) and she would put socks on her hands and fix a 'tail' to her back, then run round on all fours all day long pretending to be a cat! Crazy girl

Anyway that's me. I love cats. End of.

Pussy Mooshkin x

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TheCatSite Pussy Mooshkin

I am so glad that you, Llinos Lwyd and your doggie Jack, have joined our wonderful community of caring people who love cats. Please make yourself at home.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message. I will get back to you asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome

This place is kitty paradise

Funny how they worm their way into your life and you just can't live without them... they really are our babies, aren't they?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pussy-mooshkin

Funny how they worm their way into your life and you just can't live without them... they really are our babies, aren't they?
That is so true...
cats are our babies, friends, teachers, healers and personal warm fuzzies.

that is a hard combination to beat.

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Indeed!

I am SOOOO excited about getting the new kittens! Typically, our local shelter hasn't actually got any yet... the lady who runs it says that usually they're snowed under with kittens at this time of year, but they've not had any yet... so flipping typical - my daughter and I (she still lives at home) are desperate to get our babies!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hola Catulina y Milky (y CoolCat!)

Cool that your cats speak Spanish. Mine speaks Welsh

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola say to you..
....yes they can speak spanish too!

Originally Posted by pussy-mooshkin

My daughter who's 18 is also a cat obsessive, and I can remember when she was little the only game she ever wanted to play was "being a cat", where I had to do her hair up in little buns either side of her head (she called them cat ears) and she would put socks on her hands and fix a 'tail' to her back, then run round on all fours all day long pretending to be a cat! Crazy girl
I hope your daughter being a member of TCS too!..

have a nice friday!

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

You have strawberry cats... lucky you! I hope I can find a strawberry baby when the shelter finally gets some kittens!

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome

I'm a bit worried this morning - have just left Llinos with the vet as she seems to have something stuck in her throat (she's a keen hunter so I suspect it's a mouse bone or a bird bone). She's having to be sedated and as I signed the consent form, it struck me that though it's a small risk, what if she reacts badly to the sedation and doesn't come round?

So I'm all on edge this morning... I have to call the vet at about 1.30 this afternoon so please everyone keep their fingers crossed that Llinos will be OK

x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I'm always fascinated by the people from around the world who end up here.

I sure hope Llinos will be OK.

One thing you will notice is that in the U.S., to a very large extent cats are kept entirely indoors. This has to do with a lot of factors, including increasing urbanization, rampant feral diseases, local laws, and environmental concerns. In this area, researchers say that cats that go outside have an average life span of six months, and those kept exclusively indoors have an average life span of 16 years.

I like those Welsh names, but I think I can safely say I won't be pronouncing them any time soon!

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In some parts of the US, I gather there are bigger risks from predators (coyotes etc), is that correct?

We live in the Welsh countryside - we're in a small village but we're by the main road, which is the biggest risk to cats round here. In fact, my little Bibi was killed by a car only 2 months ago (2 months ago today, in fact) - but she was a little daredevil - the concept of "danger" never occurred to her, the little minx. She used to dash across the road from a place where she couldn't even see it - she'd just suddenly go like she had a rocket up her backside. I've never known a cat like it. She was completely mental - she used to do somersaults for no reason, or run up to walls and backflip off them! Crazy little thing - we always knew that with her devil-may-care attitude to life, she wouldn't make old bones (she was 3 and a half when she died).

Llinos, on the other hand, has a very healthy fear of the road. I hope our new kittens, when we get them, are as sensible as Llinos. Having said that, a new bypass is being built which will take most of the traffic out of the village, so the place will be a lot more cat-friendly in about a year's time.

It's very difficult to keep a cat indoors... that means a whole summer of windows being kept closed, and finding ways to keep the little darlings entertained... We did try to keep Llinos and Bibi indoors, but they were so miserable we decided to let them out if that's what makes them happy (and it really does!) Maybe with two little'uns, it won't be so difficult to keep them in the house until the new road is finished, because they'll keep each other entertained.

Llinos isn't so difficult to pronounce... the "LL" sound is like this: position your tongue as if you're going to say "L", but then blow instead of pronouncing the L. "Llin" rhymes with "lean", "os" rhymes with "boss". (L)LEAN-os. Easy peasy

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending healing thoughts that your sweet Llinos will be OK.

pussy-mooshkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

I've just spoken to the vet's receptionist, and it seems they found a large stem of grass down Llinos' throat, which they've now removed. I can go collect her in a couple of hours. Yay!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & Welcome to the Cat Site!

Look forward to hearing more about Llinos!

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums