My almost 10 year old calico

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a calico almost 10 years ago, she will be 10 on July 30 this year. Her name is Mystyc, my beautiful calico.

Yesterday my calico was taken to the vet by my brother's girlfriend, she wasn't moving one of her back legs. I am in Louisiana on vacation, I kept calling and txting her all day long to find out what the vet said.

No broken leg, no fracture, no dislocation. Turns out she had bad artheritus, and bone spurs. I know humans with bone spurs and they say they are very painful. I am planning on coming here for a while and it is a good 2 day drive to get here from home. She's always been a very independant cat. People are now telling me I should put her down. I know that if she is just going to be in pain and having a hard life, that is the best idea. I am just not sure if it is the right idea. I don't want to put her down if she can life a happy life still, but I don't want to leave her alive to suffer if she will just be in pain and not happy.

I've noticed over the last couple years she isn't climbing as well as she used to. I thought it was just old age catching up with her, and she just wasn't as strong or spry as she was when she was younger. I never thought she would have artheritus... bone spurs... never even thought to imagine that. I feel as though I have failed her because I am two days drive away from her when she was really hurting, and cuz I didn't think she had a problem. I know people can't do the stuff they did as they age, i figured cats were the same. She is my first kitten I ever had in my life. I've never had a cat her age either.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts... please, I will be happy to hear them. I have been crying on and off all day. I am so sad, I love her. She's my first baby cat. I have had her since 4 weeks old. The idea of her not being alive really hurts me. But the idea of her suffering in pain hurts me more.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are medications that can help arthritis in cats, I am currently looking into supplements for my cat with kidney failure as her knees are very bad. If she wont take anything and her quality of life lessens, then you will have to consider it - I had to have my 14yo pts last year due to a combination of arthritis and suspected cancer, she stopped taking her pain meds, and had got to the stage where she didn't want to eat, so I let her go, but if you can get her stabilised and she is eating well and enjoying things, then just spoil her till it is too much for her.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for you, think I'm going to cry too. As long as she is eating and drinking, meds for the arthritis and maybe some pain meds would be ok, imo, and you'll know when the time is right to let her go. If you can make ramps and stairs for her to access all the taller stuff in the house. Someone did this for her cat, and she seemed to be in less pain cause she didnt have to jump anymore and cause unneccesary pressure on her joints.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 16 you old Cat has terrible Arthitis. She walks with ahump because her spine is bent. She has it bad in her Paws too. She has had it for years. Do not have her Pts just because she has Arthitis. Coco has shrun too. You have not failed her. Do not listen to those people.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh please don't have her pts due to this. Your precious girl has many years ahead of her! Sierra will be 14 in July, and she had been slowing down, having more trouble jumping, etc. Since she has been taking Cosequin for Cats, she's like a kitten again, jumping all over and playing! http://www.healthypets.com/cosequincats.html This has really made such a difference! Please check into getting this for Mystyc! It takes a few weeks to really kick in, but this could really help her, wouldn't that be great! Here is more information about the advantages of Cosequin for our little ones. http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...in_cat_FAQ.asp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I felt like it wasn't time, but I am not a cat, and I don't know what it feels like to have bone spurs. I didn't wanna run down and have her pts if it wasn't time yet. I hoped that there was hope, and help available for her.

I haven't seen her since all this came about since I am in Louisiana, and she is in Wyoming.

DawnofSierra, I haven't seen ya in years!!!!!!

We are going to the french quarter today.

You all be safe, and thank you.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DawnofSierra

Oh please don't have her pts due to this. Your precious girl has many years ahead of her! Sierra will be 14 in July, and she had been slowing down, having more trouble jumping, etc. Since she has been taking Cosequin for Cats, she's like a kitten again, jumping all over and playing! http://www.healthypets.com/cosequincats.html This has really made such a difference! Please check into getting this for Mystyc! It takes a few weeks to really kick in, but this could really help her, wouldn't that be great! Here is more information about the advantages of Cosequin for our little ones. http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...in_cat_FAQ.asp

100%, absolutely agree with the above. Do NOT put her to sleep!!! Your kitty is only 10 years old and you can do something about the arthritis. She can get relief with pain meds short term, and as Dawn said, Cosequin will help tremendously long term. My cat is 19, has multiple health problems including arthritis and bone spurs and does wonderfully with Cosequin. She *ran* up the stairs today after breakfast!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others. Arthritis pain is managable! My own calico will be 10 next month and she's hardly slowed down so age obviously isn't the problem.

Out of curiosity, will you be reuniting with her? I know it would break my heart to know my cat was hurting and be so far away. I hope you'll be together again soon and that she can be treated and continue to live a long and happy life.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Out of curiosity, will you be reuniting with her? I know it would break my heart to know my cat was hurting and be so far away. I hope you'll be together again soon and that she can be treated and continue to live a long and happy life.
Yes, I am heading back to Wyoming on Sunday. I will be back with her on Tuesday. One small problem is I am thinking about coming back here. I am not sure if I can bring here, and if she would handle a two day trip. I also have a 4 year old manx named NyghtShade. I am trying to figure out how I will get her here. I don't want to fly her, unless I can cage myself with her. I fear for what can happen to here in a cargo area of a plane. To those people she is just a cat. To me... she is much more. I fostered her and her siblings when they were abandoned as 3 week old kittens. My cat, MyRage (Mirage) Had a miscarage(sp?), and she was lactating, and looking for babies. So I went to the shelter, and these kittens needed a mom as much as my cat needed babies.

I will be looking for advice on moving cats across the US later. But right now I am concerned with my Mystyc. She is my first kitten I ever had.

I will happily do anything I can to keep her alive and happy. Just when you get advice all saying putting the cat down is the best thing to do... well... I was hopeful that there was another alternative. I knew if anyone would know, or be able to help it would be the people here.

Thank you again. Be safe.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arthritis can be managed with join supplements like everyone has said. I would definitely start her on these and see how she responds before you make any drastic decisions.

As for travel, a lot of airlines allow you to carry the cat in the plane and have them under your seat, so check with your airline to see what their rules are. Travel is never easy on cats OR humans, but it is not impossible. Your girl likely has many happy years left to her, so please give her a chance.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sympathize with you. My first cat got really sick and I wasn't there for him. He did need to be PTS and it was horrible. Anything you can do to keep her alive is a good thing.

Moving the cat won't be that hard once you know what to do. Lots of people here have experiance with this. I agree to deal with first things first, like her health, but than definately look into moving her to be with you...sounds like you miss her.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

As for travel, a lot of airlines allow you to carry the cat in the plane and have them under your seat, so check with your airline to see what their rules are. Travel is never easy on cats OR humans, but it is not impossible. Your girl likely has many happy years left to her, so please give her a chance.
Thank you for that info. We got rained out so we didn't go to the french quarter. Instead we did research on plane tickets and reading about taking cats. I found the info I needed. Now we will be making reservations for NyghtShade to move NyghtShade to Louisiana. Unfortunately for Mystyc, I can't bring her here. She is an indoor outdoor, and we can't have indoor/outdoor cats here. She is one of those cats who will not be okay with being forced to be inside. She gets angry and stressed. Then she picks on the other animals, and humans. I have a friend that I will trust to be with my Mystyc. She has cared for many animals as they were terminal, old, or just not wanted. She has taken many for their families who did not have the time to give them what they needed to be happy for what time they have left.

I really hate to give her up. My husband has moved here (Louisiana), and I feel torn between my girls and my hubby. My inlaws think i am insain for wanting to stay with my cats instead of my husband. I feel bad because he needs his back worked on and he needs me right now, just like my Mystyc needs me. I have been with my husband a little longer then I have had Mystyc. So when I get home, I will get ahold of my friend to see if she can take Styc for me. If not... I guess I will have to do some serious hunting. I won't take her to the shelter, not unless I was going to go live in one of those little kennels right beside her. If we can get set up in our own house, I could get her back, but to force her to live a life inside when she wants to come and go as she wishes.

My baby Rage (MyRage) already has a place to go. My stepmom wants her, and has always wanted her to be her cat. I don't want to part ways with my baby Rage, but unfortunately... the people we will be staying with have 3 dogs and 1 cat already, and have offered space for one cat. The Manx NyghtShade is the one who got the spot. She is a little baby 4 year old baby that is. Cuddles under the covers every night. doesn't like to be away from my husband and I. Rage doesn't really care if we are there or not. As long as she is taken care of and loved.

Be safe, and Thank you.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to do what you have to do. Its okay. I am glad you have trusted people you can give your animals too. That is a good thing. Not everyone can do that and have to give them over to a shlter and worry who they will be with. Take care.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a phone call from my brother last night. He told me that Mystyc climbed up to her favorite spot above the entertainment center. He said she is still a bit stiff, but in a better mood, and getting around much better now. I can't wait to see her. I am leaving Louisian tomorrow and getting home on Tuesday.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she is feeling better - my arthritic cat is doing better since we put her on some supplements.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The positive thing is that your cats will be with people you know and trust. You can call them and visit them. You can get photos. If your situation changes maybe Mystic can come live with you if not at least she will be with someone who loves cats too.