What kind of brush

momoftwogirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of brush do you use? I have one now but I think it is to rough for the kitties... I want something that is softer but does a good job of getting the undercoat. Let me know what you use and if you like it. Thanks

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furminators are really good. I've only used them on horses but they work wonders, both for them and on dogs and cats. You can find them online and at a lot of pet supply stores.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I succumbed to all the ravings about the Furminator....and found myself disappointed. My Furminator is now gathering.......dust.

It removed nothing from my long hair cats, and only a little from the medium and short hair.

I use a metal comb on everyone now, and periodically a slicker brush on the short hair.

The Furminator's advertising raved about gettting to the undercoat - it's a fallacy. Simple observation of it's use clearly shows that it does not go "below the surface", but, skims across the surface of the coat.

The cats hated it too!

Oh, and...wanna Furminator...cheap?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE my furminator! I've used it on:

Saint Bernard
Lab
German Shorthaired Pointer
Australian Shepherd mix
Chow
Husky/Shepherd mix
DLH
DMH
DSH

I've got white cats that when I pet them, I get a handful of hair. Not so after using the Furminator!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
for the main body, i actually use a people comb. for the face [doesn't need it, but they like it] i have a small, fairly soft-bristled brush.
neither are 'pet' combs or brushes. i do have a flea comb, but i only use it if i see fleas [which i haven't for YEARS!]
i also have a zoom groom, but i think the comb works better.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat will let me, we use a Furminator. It really does make a difference, when I pet her after a good (rare) brushing theres no hair all over me. But, it is very messy to use for some reason. I'm still looking for something better...

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not the world's most consistent brusher. But I am making an effort with the Furminator. Luckily my daughter is great with cats and loves brushing them.

hunnysuckle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brush my kitty daily with a soft brissle brush I bought at walmart in the pet section. she doesn't seem to mind it as much as she did when i tried using a brush called Shed Ender. she didn't care for it to much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use any brushes - I use a normal flea comb on every cat and Ling can be combed with a fine toothed (a little bigger then the flea comb teeth) comb.

IMO brushes do very little for a cats coat - you need to get to the base of the hair whether its long or short (especially longhairs). Brushes can be used to just slick down the surface, but good grooming requires combs.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best tool depends on the cat's individual needs. I have 4 indoor shorthaired cats, and they all hated the furminator.

I use a Zoom Groom for basic brushing and massage on 3 of them, and a metal fine-toothed comb Oreo, who doesn't like the zoom groom (the other 3 love it and try to push each other out of the way to get a turn being brushed).

I've recently started using a soft slicker brush too because my oldest cat is getting touchy about her back legs and hips - the slicker gets the shedding hair without putting any pressure on her legs.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

I succumbed to all the ravings about the Furminator....and found myself disappointed. My Furminator is now gathering.......dust.

It removed nothing from my long hair cats, and only a little from the medium and short hair.

I use a metal comb on everyone now, and periodically a slicker brush on the short hair.

The Furminator's advertising raved about gettting to the undercoat - it's a fallacy. Simple observation of it's use clearly shows that it does not go "below the surface", but, skims across the surface of the coat.

The cats hated it too!

Oh, and...wanna Furminator...cheap?
Actually it gets the cottony undercoat on my Persian (Peaches) really well! And that's all it gets out. I love it for her. I don't use it on Maxx because I show him and use other methods. But I bet you can find someone to buy it for you. I actually bought mine from someone on thecatsite! Furminator is not for every cat/owner. But most love it and have had great success with it!

I recommend combs over brushes. They work much better, IMHO.