My Heart is Heavy

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend just told me today she has 5-6 years to live. I didn't know that. I know she has AIDS, and is an activist for those who cannot speak for themselves.

She is a step-mom (and only mom her daughter has known since two years of age) and her husband has cancer. They have been sending their 8-year-old to grief counseling. She needs to start understanding that she will not have any parents in about five years.

Their daughter's biological mom is a drug addict on the streets.
She has no custody rights for many good reasons.

My friend has AIDS from transfusions for childhood cancer when she was seven. Her parents were killed in a car accident when she was nine.

Just when I start thinking the world is full of jerks, it always amazes me how strong the human spirit is.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG how sad
You think you got it bad till you hear a story like this, it certainly puts a lot of things in perspective doesn't it. God Bless them and give them strength

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate and can completely sympathize with her daughter. May she find the courage and the strength to carry on with her life. Life is not fair and never what we expect it to be.

Where does she go for her counseling?

Does she have any aunts or uncles she could go to?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to imagine trying to explain this to an 8 year old, that the girl could understand at such an age.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, how heartwrenching
I can't even imagine what that family must be going through. That poor girl

I sometimes don't understand how such sad things can even happen.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

OMG how sad
You think you got it bad till you hear a story like this, it certainly puts a lot of things in perspective doesn't it. God Bless them and give them strength
OMG.
to all of them.
to you, too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your friend

I have to say that I have never heard anyone being given "5 to 6 years to live." Five to six years is a long time to predict ahead of time. Do you perhaps mean months?

I know you said she has "AIDS', but is it actually AIDS now or is it HIV? They are actually different. AIDS is when you start to acquire AIDS related illnesses. If she does have AIDS, what disease does she have that the doctors based their prediction on? You don't die from AIDS, you die from a disease/sickness that you acquire because of AIDS.

Is she on medications? Back in the 1980's getting HIV was a death sentence. It isn't that way now. While there is no cure for HIV, science has made great strides with prolonging life and warding off disease. It's not uncommon for someone with HIV or even AIDS to live 20 plus years or more, provided they take care of their health and take antiviral medications to suppress the virus.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my prayers are definitely with that family. what kind of cancer does the father have if you don't mind me asking?

any idea where the little girl will go should something happen to the parents?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Where does she go for her counseling?

Does she have any aunts or uncles she could go to?
I don't know where she goes for counseling (other than here in Victoria). I believe it is provided by the Canadian government in some kind of program. (I'm American.)

My friend said that her daughter will be going to relatives in the East. I asked, and she said that they are not strangers and know each other.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

...I have to say that I have never heard anyone being given "5 to 6 years to live." Five to six years is a long time to predict ahead of time. Do you perhaps mean months?
No one gave her any kind of timeline - it is her own. She said she is seeing herself starting to waste away, and she's seen it happen like this before.

I know you said she has "AIDS', but is it actually AIDS now or is it HIV? They are actually different. AIDS is when you start to acquire AIDS related illnesses. If she does have AIDS, what disease does she have that the doctors based their prediction on? You don't die from AIDS, you die from a disease/sickness that you acquire because of AIDS.
AIDS and several related illnesses.

Is she on medications? Back in the 1980's getting HIV was a death sentence. It isn't that way now. While there is no cure for HIV, science has made great strides with prolonging life and warding off disease. It's not uncommon for someone with HIV or even AIDS to live 20 plus years or more, provided they take care of their health and take antiviral medications to suppress the virus.
She's on lots of meds. She got HIV when she was a child; I believe about 25 years ago.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

my prayers are definitely with that family. what kind of cancer does the father have if you don't mind me asking?
I didn't know the name; something to do with his blood.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

any idea where the little girl will go should something happen to the parents?
Family back East.

Evidently, the daughter doesn't want to talk about it to her parents or the therapist, so they are going to "cool it for a while."

Sorry to post such a bummer.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched someone die of the related illness and it was not pretty.. Hopefully a breackthru for the strain she has will come soon

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the little girl has somewhere to go if need be.In the mean time, even though they're having it rough and facing some pretty bleak odds....maybe they can still try to just enjoy the time they have together and make some good memories with the little one. I bet they still have some good time left
Nobody truely knows the future aside from we are all born and will all pass at a certain time- until that time though we can just live day to day. I'm sure that little girl and that family will cherish however long they have together and have a good time making memories as a family.
My heart and prayers will definitely be with them though. Do keep us updated on them

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man how heartbreaking for everyone
Do you know if the father's cancer is terminal? I hope he can pull through - it's not fair for one family to have to go through so much.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sad.
It's good that their little girl has somewhere to go, but like someone else said, I think they should try their best to enjoy their time together.

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what an incredibly sad situation all around. My heart goes out to your friend and their family.