Orijin, wellness...and

brookey326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I posted a few weeks ago, I am trying to get my cats on a more healthy food and on an eating schedule. I have done some research and have even had some taste tests with my cats to figure out what is best. I have decided to go with wet (wellness- grain free variety) morning and night and leave out measured food during the day. I have decided I like what Orijin has to offer for the dry, but I was wondering what anyone would recommend a second food to mix with it? Sharky?? ha ha
I am also really scared that I will under feed my cats. They have always had their bowls filled all day and I worry that if I start measuring the food I won't be giving them enough. Can anyone give me a good amount??? I have (4) ten pounders and (1) 5 pounder. The big guys will eat anything you put in front of them. But my two girls are somewhat finiky.

Any help would be much appreciated!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by brookey326

...I have decided to go with wet (wellness- grain free variety) morning and night and leave out measured food during the day. I have decided I like what Orijin has to offer for the dry, but I was wondering what anyone would recommend a second food to mix with it?...
This is precisely what I am feeding my five. Nothing more.

What is the purpose of the "second food"?

(I have not found "taste testing" to very useful, in fact, when I first got the Orijen, all 5 turned up their noses at it! Remember, you'll need to transition them over to whatever you choose for new foods - including the Wellness. I started adding a few pieces of Orijen in increasing quantities until, after about a month I was feeding 100% Origen.)

One of my cats has trimmed down in weight, all of the others are maintaining their appropriate weights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookey326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that most people on here recommend mixing two different dry foods. I guess to keep variety in their food....I am not partial to doing this. I am just trying to get recommendations from everyone I can, Everyone has their own rules and opinions though so I get frustrated and confused.

But Yeah, I will be switching them over slowly. As soon as I figure out what I want to feed them. Ha Ha,

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use wellness wet, orijens and mix it with wellness complete health dry (salmon) my cats love both and do awesome on both!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wellness core would be another grain free to think about.. Most rotate or use two in case of recall , allergy or avail issue....

Do you want a grain free or grain containing??

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am pretty much going through the same with my 9-month spayed female. She's 11 pounds. (yikes!) I am semi-free feeding Wellness Dry (not the CORE) right now. I put out 1/4 cup in the morning and a 1/4 before I go to bed.. When I come home from work around 5pm, she gets a few teaspoons of Wellness or Natural Instinct Wet. She's been spoiled in the past, so I am afraid I am underfeeding, too.

As I said in my other thread, I think mine did better on 2 foods. She has loose stool and some gas right now and I may start introducing Fromm's Duck ala Veg, very very slowly. But I'm giving the Wellness a few more days. I may try a tad bit of pumpkin tonight first.

Good luck!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm mixing dry foods because they like one for the taste and I like the other for nutrition. I'm mixing Royal Canin (just for the taste of it!) with Wellness Salmon & Deboned Turkey. I picked up a bag of Instinct Lamb flavor and I'm going to road test that for treats (so I'll know if they like it in case I have to switch).

We're combo feeding 3oz of wet per day with ~1/4 cup of dry for each cat. Both cats are holding at 9-10 lbs which is ok for their frames (can still feel ribs, see a waist). The combo-feeding guidelines on the wellness bag tell you to feed too much dry IMHO, so I go slightly lower.

They have usually 3 wet meals and 1 dry. Once the dry is gone, it's gone...they did whine a bit at first, but now that we're feeding low or no grain wet, they don't seem to get hungry as fast.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I don't have my kittens yet, it's my intention to feed Wellness wet in the morning, wet in the evening and an alternating combination of both Orijen and Core in a measured amount through the day. I would like to keep things as grain free as I can. I guess my concerns also are if I will under/over feed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Kittens eat loads of food. They eat 3 times the adult amount of food.
that is what most bags say... and some will many only eat 1.5 to 2 times the adult