I can't stand spiders!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going outside earlier to get the food bowls for the dogs, and when I opened the back door, I felt something fall on my head, so I shook my head a little and saw a spider fall on the porch!

It was one of those little black ones that look kinda fuzzy.. I have no idea what they're called, but they freak me out.. so I stepped on it. I thought I almost had a heart attack.. I always run when I see a spider.

Is anyone else terrified of spiders??

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am totally terrified of spiders. The black fuzzy ones are called Wolf spiders (I think.) When I was at Put-In-Bay, I saw one on the deck, the size of my HAND!!! I amost had a stroke!!! I was ready to swim across Lake Erie, and run home!!! Regardless of what they're called....they scare the bejeebers out of me!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor thing....was it really necessary to step on it? Could you have just ignored it or relocated it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

poor thing....was it really necessary to step on it? Could you have just ignored it or relocated it?
Nooooo.. "spider" and "poor thing" don't go in the same sentence for me.. I hate them!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of spiders. We get really big ones in the house and I hate them. I do relocate them outside waaaaaaaaaaaay away from the house but it's really difficult for me to do. Just today I saw one on the door at the top of the stairs and my legs buckled under me and I nearly fell back down the stairs.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I am totally terrified of spiders. The black fuzzy ones are called Wolf spiders (I think.)
They're not. Wolf spiders are generally shades of grey and brown, and mostly prefer to stay on the ground and hide.

I'm pretty sure she meant a Bold Jumping Spider
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/beast/bbeast8-04.jpg (warning, very close up picture)

Completely harmless and very good at catching flies. I suppose they earn the "bold" in their name and tend not to immediately run from you - instead they'll sit and stick their front legs out to make themselves look bigger or they'll seem to be sitting there listening if you talk to them (which of course, they're not).
If I find them in the house I always put them outside.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really admire spiders but can understand the fear people have. I don't comprehend why "fear = hate" but I may be weird

I am sorry you got scared

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

They're not. Wolf spiders are generally shades of grey and brown, and mostly prefer to stay on the ground and hide.

I'm pretty sure she meant a Bold Jumping Spider
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/beast/bbeast8-04.jpg (warning, very close up picture)

Completely harmless and very good at catching flies. I suppose they earn the "bold" in their name and tend not to immediately run from you - instead they'll sit and stick their front legs out to make themselves look bigger or they'll seem to be sitting there listening if you talk to them (which of course, they're not).
If I find them in the house I always put them outside.
That sort of looked like it, but I'm not sure if that's it.. I've been looking for a picture, but I'm not having much luck.. plus, looking at too many freaks me out a bit..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are grey ones too. Main identifier is that they're rather squat looking and fuzzy.

They also have a bad habit of jumping on people. Years ago my grandma was using the bathroom when one jumped off the curtain and onto her head.
I heard her yell - luckily she wasn't frightened by them, but was startled by her sudden nosy companion.

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I really admire spiders but can understand the fear people have. I don't comprehend why "fear = hate" but I may be weird
Same here. I also don't understand how "fear = need to kill" or worse, need to talk about having killed and show pictures (no, I'm not talking about spiders). Thankfully that stopped!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind spiders outside and I leave them alone, but inside my house is a different story. I figure, I leave you alone in your house, you leave me alone in my house!

I also thought wolf spiders were the fuzzy ones. We get HUGE fuzzy spiders from the woods that wander in occasionally. Is there such a thing as wood spiders? Because these things don't look like the jumping spider in the link. Ours come in a variety of colors, if that helps!
(Sorry, I'm just not doing a spider search because I'll get major creepy-crawlies!)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I also thought wolf spiders were the fuzzy ones. We get HUGE fuzzy spiders from the woods that wander in occasionally. Is there such a thing as wood spiders? Because these things don't look like the jumping spider in the link. Ours come in a variety of colors, if that helps!
(Sorry, I'm just not doing a spider search because I'll get major creepy-crawlies!)
Wolf spiders are fuzzy, but as a type of hunting spider they have longer thin legs for running and grabbing prey. Jumping spiders' shorter legs are made for jumping, obviously.

And I can agree about looking up pictures, it's not that the pictures of spiders bother me, but I really don't need super close ups showing every hair in detail....kind of like the really detailed close ups of peoples' faces where you can see every pore is a bit off putting.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't mind spiders outside and I leave them alone, but inside my house is a different story. I figure, I leave you alone in your house, you leave me alone in my house!

I agree.. stay out my my house and I'll leave you alone!

Ugh, we had this huge one get in our house years ago when we lived in a different place, and I screamed at the top of my lungs when I saw it.. after it was gone, I kept making sure there weren't anymore in every room I went to..

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, we had one spider in the house that had long legs, was pale grey and hairy. I would say with legs it was probably 4-5" across. It was on the bathroom wall. I didn't see it until I was already sitting down doing my..umm..business. It was far enough away from me it didn't REALLY freak me out, but I hit the wall and it did this really weird thing with it's legs. It almost went into a perfect spiral...it was freaky, but fascinating at the same time (ok, this was a night after we went to the bar so I we a little liberal with the "kill it if it gets in my house" thing!
). But, I've never seen a spider do that with it's legs..it was like it was curling them around itself for protection. Do wolf spiders do that kind of thing?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But, I've never seen a spider do that with it's legs..it was like it was curling them around itself for protection. Do wolf spiders do that kind of thing?
I'm pretty sure most of the leggier spiders will - I know black widows will do it. (yes, I know it wasn't fair to poke her, but she wouldn't go in the cup.
)