Bowling Tonight...Wish Me Luck

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I'm a notoriously terrible bowler. In fact, I once managed to bowl a 3. (Yes, it was for all 10 frames, and yes, I hit all 3 pins with the same ball.) DH loves to bowl and bowls in a mens' league through the winter. It's the off season for him, and he managed to talk me into joining a mixed league with him, a friend of his, and one of my best friends. It starts tonight.

Wish me luck...I'm gonna need it!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!!

I'm on a mixed league. I wasnt really great when I started ... by the end of my first season I had an average of 107, and at the end of this past season I had an average of 105 and a high game of 158. My husband has a 180+ average (he's been bowling for 11 years). The entire league agrees though - we're there to drink beer and have fun!
Our next season wont start until September, so we need to practice time to time (Last time we didn't, and my average dropped down in the low 90s).

The more you bowl, the better you'll get
He probably wants you for the handicap you'll get
My handicap was always over 100 pins!

PS: Getting your own ball instead of using house balls will help A LOT.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a 3?!? time to do the granny throw, Tari!!

I used to bowl on a mixed league with my ex and had an average of 137
I love to bowl, I really miss it

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in a league when I was in middle school (hey, I lived in Wisconsin...it's a state requirement to bowl!
). As I recall my average was in the 140's. The last time I bowled was a few years ago (looong after middle school), but I can still usually bowl a pretty fair game.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Most important thing is to have fun.

I went bowling for the first time in years and bowled a strike in my first practice throw. Followed by a pair of gutter balls for the 1st frame
Fortunately the rest of the frames were respectable except the last which was another pair of gutter balls. Had to keep the symmetry, right?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, just remember you're there to have a good time. I got roped into bowling on a league by my husband and his father. I was like "you have never seen me bowl...I'm terrible!" They didn't care.

My first set put my average...at 54. It was the lowest on the league but with the best handicap so they LOVED me. Because every week I did a little better but they still got that handicap. It's nerve wracking, but our league was great...people gave me tips, and when I did start actually hitting pins, people on other teams cheered for me! It's competitive, but it's a community too.

I agree, getting your own ball will make a BIG difference! I didn't realize that until half way thru my first season. Also, I would recommend getting your own shoes rather than renting. They make a big difference.

And there are things that are out of your control, such as oil on the lanes, and many things that I don't understand. I'm just happy if I can get the ball to go in a straight line! I bowled for 3 years and never broke 120, but I had a great time. Just enjoy it, and listen to any advice anyone gives you. Let us know how it went!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if all else get a shotgun, and just shoot the pins left stading or, hmm you could run down the lane and kick them over hehe.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

My first set put my average...at 54. It was the lowest on the league but with the best handicap so they LOVED me. Because every week I did a little better but they still got that handicap.
i was in a mixed league w/work back in my 30s when i was a travel agent. i had never, ever bowled in my life, & i did terribly - at first.
we ended up winning the tournament because of my handicap & my improvement!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember Obama got a 37 on his game?

My problem is that I'm not competitive enough to do well. I keep an average in the 130's, and it just never gets much better than that. My practice is to just pitch the ball down there in the midst of the pins, and see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Remember Obama got a 37 on his game?

My problem is that I'm not competitive enough to do well. I keep an average in the 130's, and it just never gets much better than that. My practice is to just pitch the ball down there in the midst of the pins, and see what happens.
Well, I definitely beat Obama, so I guess I did pretty good. I'm not really that competitive, either, especially when it comes to sports. I'm definitely in it just for fun, but DH is a very, very competitive kind of guy. He's doing a pretty good job of reining himself in so far.

I bowled a 103, a 94, and a 105...for a total of 305. They put my handicap at 94, so that helps. I was a lot of fun. The other team we bowled against was great and very supportive and in it just for fun, too.

I'm actually a pretty good shot, though, so Bruce's idea of shooting the pins in a pinch could have some merit.