Now that's a smart bird.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The Gray Parrots are supposedly extremely intelligent. My husband's old workplace has a cockatoo, which he brought home for a week because the place was being painted. That bird was "parroting" me within about two days: "No, Jamie, no - bad cat!", screamed it when Jamie was stalking him, and later repeated it every time he saw my husband at work.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The Gray Parrots are supposedly extremely intelligent. My husband's old workplace has a cockatoo, which he brought home for a week because the place was being painted. That bird was "parroting" me within about two days: "No, Jamie, no - bad cat!", screamed it when Jamie was stalking him, and later repeated it every time he saw my husband at work.
That's funny about the cockatoo! Yes, African Greys are very smart and long-lived.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

OK, that's funny! I can only imagine what a bird would learn to say in my house.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birds ARE very smart.
Alot of people don't think they know what they are saying...I would like them to spend a week in my house, I know they would change their mind.

This story actually reminds me of one I saw on animal planet about a budgie. He told the person that had him his home phone number and he was able to be reunited with his owner.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

Birds ARE very smart.
Alot of people don't think they know what they are saying...I would like them to spend a week in my house, I know they would change their mind.

This story actually reminds me of one I saw on animal planet about a budgie. He told the person that had him his home phone number and he was able to be reunited with his owner.
Budgies are very smart. As a kid that was the only pet I could have because of my Mom's allergies. I taught all of my birds to talk. My last one "Tinko" had quite a long vocabulary. It was cute, but it could also be annoying, hehe

I'm glad the bird was reunited with his family

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
African Greys are one of the most intelligent of the parrots. The most famous was Alex. He appeared to understand concepts as well as language.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

African Greys are one of the most intelligent of the parrots. The most famous was Alex. He appeared to understand concepts as well as language.
Alex was definitely incredible. Every time there was something on TV about him, my husband wanted to get an African Grey. The only thing that stopped him was our experiences with Polly, a green parrot that was a member of our family for roughly 80 years. My great-grandmother bought him (the name was misleading) from a neighbor when he was already an adult, and he just got passed down through the generations. Polly was incredibly smart, had a love of obscene language, and could be unbelievably vicious when he was in a bad mood. There's no question in my mind that he knew exactly what he was saying.