=( I think he's allergic to the kitties!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gah! I think my boyfriend of two and half years is allergic to my kitties! Every morning he wakes up all stuffed up and needs to blow his nose like six times. =(

What should we do? NOT getting rid of kitties, and so far it's not bad enough for him to want to move out, but I'm nervous!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's bothered by allergies, the first thing he needs to do is get tested to find out exactly what he is allergic to. Just because you have cats doesn't mean he's allergic to them.

If it turns out he is allergic, he can take allergy meds, and you can do a search of the forums for hints and tips to help.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, have him tested. If he is allergic to the cats, I would think he would be having trouble all the time he is around them not just in the morning but what do I know. If he is allergic then he could be fine with just being on Zyrtec daily. It is not the end of the world. I hope he isn't but try not to get worked up about it till you know for sure.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

If he's bothered by allergies, the first thing he needs to do is get tested to find out exactly what he is allergic to. Just because you have cats doesn't mean he's allergic to them.

If it turns out he is allergic, he can take allergy meds, and you can do a search of the forums for hints and tips to help.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm allergic to cats, and I have 4. This is the only time of yeara that my allergies bother me. It is because I am allergic to every kind of tree and grass there is on earth. The problem is that right now everything is blooming. All of the pollin mixed with the cats pushes my allergies over the edge.

If it comes down to it, you may have keep the kitties out of the bed room. For me morning is always the worst, I know if I was deligent and did not let them sleep with me it would be better. A few other things are to make sure you have a good vaccuum that cleans up allergens, an air purifier that has a heppa filter helps. I also have a dust mite cover on my mattress and pillows because dust mites were by far my worst allergy.

Your boyfriends allergy doesn't sound too bad, and maybe doing a few of these things will make him comfortable enough to want to stay. that you find what works for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it has something to do with the animals, but I honestly don't know if it's cats. We went into a pet store the other day and were petting the bunnies, and he went NUTS(sneezing over and over and over and running nose). They only had two or three kitties, so I'm wondering if it might actually be the woodshavings from the gerbils.

Once the insurance kicks in, we'll most definitely get him tested!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he's allergic to you? (Not impossible, but not likely.)

If it turns out he's allergic to the cats, it CAN be treated, and keeping the cats clean works, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha that would be funny if he was! Funny in a bizarre, oh crap kind of way..

Would it be a good idea to get over-the-counter allergy medication for overnight, or would that be bad since we don't know what he's reacting to?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am Allergic to Cats and have 4. I get Sick when I go to my Sisters from the litter she has in her G Pigs and her Rats Cages. I take Flonase and Clariton D. Have him get Skin Tests. I am Allergic to alot of stuff.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really allergic to cat too!!!!! I even get hives when they rub on me!

I don't take meds, all I do is bathe the cats once a month and I don't have any problems with them. I do bathe them with conditioning shampoo from Wal-Mart.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

Hahahaha that would be funny if he was! Funny in a bizarre, oh crap kind of way..

Would it be a good idea to get over-the-counter allergy medication for overnight, or would that be bad since we don't know what he's reacting to?
try Zyrtec or the generic equivalent.
i'm pretty sure i'm allergic to mine - i'm always less congested when i'm visiting non-cat homes [like my mom's] for a few days.
but i'm allergic to tons of things; grasses, tree pollens, dust mites, molds - so the cats are just one more thing. i'd have to take the Zyrtec anyway, so i might as well enjoy my babies!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I don't know how it is in Colorado, but here in New England the pollen levels are bad and anyone with allergies is suffering.

If he does end up having a cat allergy, here is a TCS article with tips on how to cope with it:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/223...t-Allergy.html

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get the generic version of Claritin at Wal-Mart for about $10 for 100 pills, give or take. That's over the counter, non-drowsy, anti-histamine that really works well.