spring flowers

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanted to share, love the spring.
CAMPSIS RADICAN

arrangement of columbine, lilies of the valley, weigela, ajuga.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh aren't they gorgeous!!
Some of the shrubs that i planted last year have started to flower and their lovely.

I nearly bought a lilly of the valley plant the other week. Do they come back every year and are they a spreading plant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Lilly of the valley are hardy and come back every year, grow well in shade, have a fragrant flower.

The downside is they do spread with a very tough rhizome root, and are very hard to dig out, and most likely a few hangers oners, will show up the next year. so only put them where nothing else can grow, and you don't care that they take over, or be prepared to do some hard work.

I took them from the back yard when I moved here, and they are still popping up. I put some under a huge norway spruce tree(dry shade) and they are doing very well. Not much else does there.

all of that being said, you can probably dig some up for free. Just ask around. No need to pay for them.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a raised rockery part at the top left of the garden. Theres already a couple of rose bushes and a holly bush in there, but a carpet of white lilly of the vally would look quite nice there i bet?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only if there is not too much sun. the little flowers will dry out and turn brown in a whole day of sun. IF it is sunny, minature thymes, and so many other flowers work for a rock garden. There are a ton of interesting sedums that bloom, plus creeping Jenny, that has a great bright chartreuse color does well.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Lily of the Valley are tenacious little boogers. I've been pulling them out of my front flower garden every year for the past 4 years and I see they've survived again this year.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely flowers!
It's so nice to see things blooming and coming to life again after the long winter.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, Lily of the Valley sounds like just the right thing for the front of our house -- it faces north, and although it gets appallingly hot of course, there's no direct sun on that side of the house, and very little under the big crepe myrtles at the corners. We have some jasmine and some wild strawberries that provide a bit of ground cover around the shrubs up close to the house, but those are very spotty. Do you think the Lilies would make it in this climate?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Gosh, Lily of the Valley sounds like just the right thing for the front of our house -- it faces north, and although it gets appallingly hot of course, there's no direct sun on that side of the house, and very little under the big crepe myrtles at the corners. We have some jasmine and some wild strawberries that provide a bit of ground cover around the shrubs up close to the house, but those are very spotty. Do you think the Lilies would make it in this climate?
they thrive in zones 3 to 9. What zone are you in? There is a map of planting zones. You can access it on your computer.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh!! spring flowers, nothing quite like it

Some great shots there, I certainly like the composition of the last picture, just a shame you missed or cropped the top of the leaf out. Keep sending them in though.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful Photos! I love colorful spring flowers!
Your arrangement is very pretty too!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my father has become quite the gardener in his retirement and my parents yard is starting to bloom too
they have lillies of the valley also, and every year they spread a little further