Favorite BBQ Foods?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty basuc when it comes to BBQ items. I love baked beans, deviled eggs and corn-on-the-cob as side items. I can't really eat steak anymore (*sobs*) because it flares my colitis but I love bratts, mets, hamburgers, chicken, ribs, pork tenderloin and hot dogs off of the grill. Oh, and grilled veggies like zucchini, squash, tomatos and portabella mushrooms.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Kansas City, home of the best BBQ in the nation. What you are calling BBQ is not really BBQ. It's not something you cook on a grill or serve with food cooked on a grill. It's smoked meats like pork, ribs, ham, brisket, chicken, turkey, sausages, etc.

That said, I love ribs.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are thinking of just grilling out?? Asparagus on the grill is really good!! We cook on our firepit vs the gas grill now and everything is better. I've even done plain old grilled cheese (w/American Cheese) sandwiches on the firepit grill and those are great.
Our usual is brats, polish sausage, hamburgers, steak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I live in Kansas City, home of the best BBQ in the nation. What you are calling BBQ is not really BBQ. It's not something you cook on a grill or serve with food cooked on a grill. It's smoked meats like pork, ribs, ham, brisket, chicken, turkey, sausages, etc.

That said, I love ribs.
Actually I really like both salads with meat from the grill, especially chicken.

Originally Posted by GailC

Are thinking of just grilling out?? Asparagus on the grill is really good!! We cook on our firepit vs the gas grill now and everything is better. I've even done plain old grilled cheese (w/American Cheese) sandwiches on the firepit grill and those are great.
Our usual is brats, polish sausage, hamburgers, steak.
Ooh, grilled cheese on a grill sounds great! Im thinking of having a little BBQ with the neighbors and thought it would be fun to try something new. And I loove charcoal/wood grills so much better than gas, yum!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love ribs...mmm....slow cooked until the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender
I love pretty much any style/sauce- wet, dry, sweet, spicy, whevever! For side dishes, I'm a fan of good, crisp homemade coleslaw.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loooove my herbed ribs recipie where the ribs are boiled first then marinated overnight in oil and fresh picked herbs then slow grilled for a couple of hours keeping them moist with more oil and herbs.

I also like filet mignon wrapped in bacon and grilled coated each time it is flipped with Tiger sauce.

Also, take some good size white mushrooms and wrap them in bacon and cook them over the grill....very yummy!!!

chawknz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think anything that comes off the BBQ grille will gladly go down my throat into my tummy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really like BBQ (IE: BBQ Grill) because of the brunt outside. But I do like baked potatoes done on the BBQ. Wrap in foil and throw them in the fire. And I don't mind ribs. But that's about it.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the meats I would have said are mentioned already, but what about sides? I usually make my grandma's potato salad (which IMO, is THE best in the world).
Just your basic red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, green onions, Hellmann's, and salt and pepper, mixed while everything is still hot, then cool in fridge. Yummmm.....And my mom's calico beans (how fitting for this forum). Butter beans, pinto beans, hamburger, bacon, onions, molasses....some other stuff goes in, but I forgot everything. They're awesome. If you want the recipe, I'll gladly hand it out.

keenbbq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My top barbecue food would have to be a medium rare steak with fresh ground pepper. Many people have asked me which kind of barbecue I think is best "Gas or Charcoal?". My answer is always that both gas and charcoal give you the same flavour to your food. My advise for when purchasing a barbecue is alway on the amount of use you intend to get out of it? A charcoal barbecue is great if only use it a few times a year as they are cheap to buy and easy to setup. If on the other hand you intend to use your barbecue on a regular basis then a gas barbecue is for you. Gas barbecues may seem exspensive to buy but the plus side is that they are cheap, clean and easy to run. When you buy any new barbecue always make sure it has at least a ten year warranty as this is a sign of a good quality built product. My personal favorite barbecue has to be the Smokey Joe portable at only £24.99 with a ten year warranty. I have had mine for over a year now and it is brilliant and I have used it for family barbecues along with camping and music festival trips.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends, i usually like vegetables bbqd. I didnt have corn on the cob, but there was tinned corn, i drained it, added some garlic butter in the centre and wrapped it in foil and let it cook on the grill.

I usually just like skewers marinated in my sauce, Eggplant also tastes good on the bbq!

Side dishes are pasta salad, rice salad, potato salad and a beautiful garden salad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, those calico beans sound great, I would love the recipe!!
I have to say I think you get a totally different taste between charcoal and gas. I also like Aussie grills, I have two (one charcoal, one gas) and they've held up pretty good so far. I also like the corn in tin foil idea, I'll have to try that if the price of corn on the cob doesnt go down soon!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my mom's calico beans recipe:
1 pound bacon
1 pound ground beef
1 big onion
2 big cans Bush's baked beans
2 cans butter beans
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar

Fry bacon until crispy, take out and put on paper towel to blot. Save bacon grease in pan.
Chop onion fine, put in bacon grease and fry until golden brown.
Take out of pan and drain grease.
Brown hamburger in separate pan. Drain off fat when done.
Crumble or chop (this is easier, and less messy) up bacon so it's in little pieces, about the size of bacon bits, but a little bigger.
Throw all ingredients together in (ok, I don't know what it's called but it's an oval shaped, blue pan with white speckles that you bake in the oven, and it has a lid...roasting pan? I always forget
)
Bake, covered, in oven at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes or so.
Don't be afraid to let it get thick. These are supposed to be thick, not runny like regular canned baked beans. If you cook them and you feel they're too thick, stir in a little water. Careful not to add too much!
I hope you all love these beans!! It's one of my family's recipes.

You could make vegetarian ones, I suppose, by using those veggie crumbles in place of ground beef, and don't they have fake bacon too?
Serves at least 10 people.