So who "hoards" cosmetics & toiletries?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I decided our triple medicine cabinet cum makeup mirror and small vanity needed a good scrubbing out this afternoon, and that I really had to throw out stuff we (mainly I) weren't actually using.

I couldn't believe the number of bottles of nearly full body lotion, shampoos and deodorants we'd bought, didn't like, and didn't bother to throw out. Not to mention those nearly used up blushers, eye shadows, foundations, etc., that should have been tossed once replacements had been bought. Why did I hold on to some replacement brushes for an electric tooth brush that gave up its ghost at least two years ago?

I filled up an entire trash bag, and can actually open the doors without stuff falling out now. Tell me I'm not the only one!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most people tend to not throw stuff away. It seems wasteful to alot of people. I have the opposite problem! Things get thrown away alot just beacsue I hate clutter, so many times I wish your problem was mine.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My whole linen closet is practically full of stuff...stocked up on sale, half full, beyond expiration date...you name it. It's embarassing. I could probably get rid of 3/4 of it and never miss it.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same for body lotion, i dont use it but yet i have tonnes of it, i was so suprised that we used a bottle of sunscreen with in 4 days, but not the sun cooler at all!! I need all the aloe vera stuff for when we get to australia anyway but still..

I have three drawers full of cosmetics that i have to go through soon and chuck the old stuff away.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im definately a bit of a hoarder in this category!
Lotions because I always find a new scent I want to try, with less than 30% of the "old" scented lotion used. I have a very bad habit of keeping eye make-up longer than I should, and I probably have most of it still "saved"...Im very bad with trial sizes as well. Get them as stocking stuffers, conference freebies, fun trials, from hotels etc and NEVER use any of them...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, if we don't count theatrical makeup, i really don't have much of that.
could open my own hair products store, tho!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You never know when you might run out of the good stuff, not be able to get to the store and need to use something else.

I don't have nearly as much of a stock pile these days. But that is because of the tragedy of loosing one box marked "bathroom" when I move two years ago.

At the time it was an absolute disaster. I had help with unpacking and thought all was fine until I went into the shower and found that I had no shampoo or conditioner. None!

That is when I realized that a box was misplaced. Also in that box was the other dozen or so assorted sample bottles that I could have used in a pinch.

I ended up using a sample bottle of bubble bath as a substitute for shampoo.

Then I spent the next week going thru every unopened box in the apartment searching for my "bathroom" stuff.

Sadly I never did find that box. And to this day I miss some of the stuff that I know was in it.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, I hoard cosmetics and face lotions--especially the "bonus" stuff I get from Estee Lauder, Clinique etc.

Angie

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have a linen closet full of stuff. I don't know where it comes from- I think it reproduces or something. I'm not a "product" person- I rarely wear makeup, I don't do much with my hair, I'm allergic to most scented hand lotions, body wash, soap, etc. I guess I like things that smell good, so people buy me stuff and I never use it. Just take a sniff every now and then and think, "I should give this away!"

I should drop it off at a women's shelter or food pantry or something.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

I should drop it off at a women's shelter or food pantry or something.
That would be a great idea and probably best done before some of the stuff goes bad.

I'm the complete opposite - I'll run out or nearly run out before I buy anymore. Also, I don't get silly lotion, body wash, or shampoo gifts. I've made it very well known that I cannot use the nasty stuff - after two horrible incidents in the past that involved trying to use stuff on my face, I won't dare try it again.
Don't be afraid to speak up and tell people if you can't use it either. It's better than letting them waste money.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have too much anymore. I do occasional sweeps, and bring the extras to work. I put the lotions in the employee bathroom, and the soaps I use to help clean up patients after they deliver...I like it better than hospital soap.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently developed an allergic reaction to CoverGirl Outlast Lipcolor. I loved that stuff, and wore it faithfully for years, buying new colors whenever they were on sale. It was great. It'd last all day, and not smudge. It lasted through dental appointments. It lasted through my entire wedding day. And night!

But over wintertime, I notice my lips were getting way more chapped than the normally do. I thought, maybe it's the Outlast? And switched to just wearing glosses and balms for the rest of the winter. About a month or so ago, I gave the Outlast a try again. Big Mistake.

My lips wept and swelled. The Angelina Jolie look? Not good on me. Then they chapped. Then they bled. Then they scabbed. Then I decided I better throw out all my Outlast so I'd never be tempted to use it again.

I had forty two tubes of the stuff. FORTY TWO!

And that's when I realized I had a lipstick addiction.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

My lips wept and swelled. The Angelina Jolie look? Not good on me. Then they chapped. Then they bled. Then they scabbed. Then I decided I better throw out all my Outlast so I'd never be tempted to use it again.

I had forty two tubes of the stuff. FORTY TWO!

And that's when I realized I had a lipstick addiction.
i use the maybelline version of that - mostly for shows, but also whenever i want it to last. i have several tubes, but not 42!

but i rarely wear any lipcolor day-to-day.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just the opposite: I have one at a time of each specific thing I use, and that's that.

And the reason I'm that way is that my mom is One Of You!

She worked as a cosmetician for years, and she just loves to try every new kind of goop that comes along. When her bathroom sink started leaking a few years ago, she finally had to haul out all the boxes of makeup and hair spray and handcream that had been accumulating under there.

And of course it was all expired and worthless -- three lawn-and-leaf bags full of very expensive junk! And I helped her clear out even more from the linen closet and from her bedroom.

So you see why I have a phobia about cosmetics!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah mine is the worst. I will get bored with a shampoo or body wash, or find a new one and I feel bad for throwing the half full ones away so I will put them under the sink "because you never know when I may need it." I seriously have NO room under my sink for anything now....lol