Just got my first kitten!

cafilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all --

I am a 20 year old girl from Bakersfield, CA. I have been around animals my entire life, but have admittedly been more of a dog and horse person. After I graduated high school, I was employed as a Veterinary Technician and attended college to major in Animal Science, but after 2 years my interests changed towards law enforcement and now I'm a Sheriff Dispatcher for the local department. My passion is horse racing and my heart belongs in Louisville, Kentucky.. so my goal in life is to save up for a little while longer, then attend Louisville University to major in Equine Marketing and hopefully get a foot in the horse racing business.

Anyway, I moved out of my parents' house a few months ago, and, to my devastation, the new house I'm renting doesn't allow me to have pets over 20 lbs, so the love of my life (a 2 year old Siberian Husky) had to stay with the parents. I work nights, so I'm home all day by myself. Yesterday I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself cause I'm so lonely, and had this brilliant idea to get a kitten so I can have a new best friend.

I'm known for my spur-of-the-moment decisions, and within 2 hours of this brilliant idea I brought home an 8 week old female brown tabby who I have named Belle, after the filly Eight Belles who died after the Kentucky Derby this year (for all of you who follow horse racing, haha).

So far she is doing great and already spoiled. I have one health issue that I'm going to post in another thread, but its not too much of a concern quite yet.
I'll get pictures up asap. Of course my camera broke a couple days ago, right when I needed it most!

I'm excited to be a part of these boards, from what I've seen they are awesome!!

Thanks for reading :-)
Katelyn

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Katelyn & Belle!! How exciting for you to have your kitten! As a horse person, you will already be accustomed to reading body language and I know that you will quickly appreciate the finesse of cat communication. I have been around horses and cats my entire life and I am still amazed at how horses and cats manage their inter-species communications.
I used to live in Oildale, for 3 years, but I moved away about 3 years before you were born
My husband & I were in Bkfd this past March; he had a client there, plus his very close friend works there for the Kern Co. DA's child sppt. division. I was glad to see that Trout's is still alive and well. But was disappointed at how houses have replaced the almond orchards, and that the Blue Diamond almond plant and the potato sheds are gone

Well, welcome, again. See ya in the forums
Susan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cafilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your welcome!

Here are pics of my little girl:

cafilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just fixed it, I tried to do the page links as pictures. My bad. haha

cafilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Welcome to TCS, Katelyn & Belle!! How exciting for you to have your kitten! As a horse person, you will already be accustomed to reading body language and I know that you will quickly appreciate the finesse of cat communication. I have been around horses and cats my entire life and I am still amazed at how horses and cats manage their inter-species communications.
I used to live in Oildale, for 3 years, but I moved away about 3 years before you were born
My husband & I were in Bkfd this past March; he had a client there, plus his very close friend works there for the Kern Co. DA's child sppt. division. I was glad to see that Trout's is still alive and well. But was disappointed at how houses have replaced the almond orchards, and that the Blue Diamond almond plant and the potato sheds are gone

Well, welcome, again. See ya in the forums
Susan
Wow, thats so cool. I live in Rosedale, near Oildale. Trouts is definitely still alive and kickin' lol. The Sheriff Dept knows it well, haha. And yes, its all houses now.. Bako is going to be the new LA in a short time, unfortunately. My mom drives by what used to be an orchard and will start her speech about how they used to ride horses through this area before it was a neighborhood... and on and on and on. Yep, good ol' Bako has definitely grown! In my opinion you're not missing out on much anymore, but thats probably just because I'm stuck here! hehe

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome and yay for your new kitty!
Like you, I recently moved from my parents house and had to leave my dogs behind. I have a Border Collie/Lab mix and a Blue Heeler. I also have a rabbit that had to stay with my parents as well. I miss them so much and it was really rough at first.
I know that my parents take good care of them, though and I wouldn't trade my Ringo kitty for anything!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Katelyn! Welcome to the Cat Site!

Belle is such a cutie pie!
Hope to see more photos of her!

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)
what a cutie pie!!
See you on the forums!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Katelyn
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TheCatSite Katelyn

I am so glad that you and your adorable tabby, Belle, have joined our community of caring people who love cats. Please make yourself at home.

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome. I just found this forum myself and am excited to find people that don't look at you strange when you say you have 6 cats. lol. I grew up with horses and other critters myself. I love the name of your kitten. My parents raise mini horses in MO, not quite the same as my old Arabian/quarter horse but they are cute. I still get my barn fix. Warning, cats are contagious, like potato chips it's hard to stop at one.