My how things change... Need advice

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out here because my job at Intel is based here in Chandler AZ. I love it here. Was born less than 5 miles from here actually. on the air force base which is closed now.. anyway.

I found out today I'm going to be assigned to a rather large transition. I'll be traveling 100% of the time. Monday through Friday and home weekends. This leaves me in quite the pickle with my rug rats. This is going to last like this for at least 6 months.

I don't think I could bring myself to give these guys away. But I also don't want to be cruel leaving them alone 5 days a week. Is there a chance that people do cat care work where they'd come twice a week or once a day etc to feed the cats and clean their box? or would that just not be cool?

I'm really concerned about this. I just don't think I could handle giving them away.

If there are people out there doing this cat care work, what should I figure in for cost? just a rough guess is fine.

Thanks for any advice.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any family or friends, near you. That you would trust to swing over and feed them?

if all else fails put up a add for a cat sitter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If i lived near you id do it for minimum costs.

Maybe somoene on TCS lives close to you and would be able to do it, or maybe a neighbour or a cat lover friend??

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check with your vet. They often have employees who do this on the side, for a little extra spending money. I would try for $5/visit, but it might be more, with the price of gas these days.

It might work to have them in on Tuesday and Thursday, for say, $10 per visit? Just thinking out loud, here. We have friends who will check up on ours if we're gone more than a couple of days, but you wouldn't want to impose on someone like that for long-term.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Check with your vet. They often have employees who do this on the side, for a little extra spending money. I would try for $5/visit, but it might be more, with the price of gas these days.

It might work to have them in on Tuesday and Thursday, for say, $10 per visit? Just thinking out loud, here. We have friends who will check up on ours if we're gone more than a couple of days, but you wouldn't want to impose on someone like that for long-term.
I think this could be tried to see how it works out. But you might want to also make arrangements with the vets office in case they need care and you aren't there to personally bring them it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this would be painful, but... I think your cats would be much better off, and much happier, if they just lived with someone else during these six months. Do you have a friend who would do that for you?

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i run a home alone pet service in my town... so they do exist... i charge $20.00 A visit.. cats usually get depressed when the owners are gone and dont eat alot.. leaving on the radio or tv helps keep them company..

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was close enough, I'd watch them for you.. I hope you can work something out, most of my ideas have already been mentioned.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I know this would be painful, but... I think your cats would be much better off, and much happier, if they just lived with someone else during these six months. Do you have a friend who would do that for you?
like a short-term fostering situation... where you'd be responsible for food, vet care, etc.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I agree with that too.

I think leaving them alone for so long with minimal care (2 times per week to check on food, water and litter) is, for lack of a better word, cruel. Plus cats can get into a great deal of mischief in a day, and can get hurt, let alone 2 or 3 days.

Cats may be aloof but they rely on our companionship, and you being away so much for extended periods of time will be distressful to them

I know you say you don't know if you can give them up. But you have to seriously consider it. Do what is best for them, not what is best for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't know anyone here so fostering isn't really an option.

Sigh... not sure what to do. Almost wish I could just pay some college gal to home sit m-f

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Sigh... not sure what to do. Almost wish I could just pay some college gal to home sit m-f
take out a add in a college newspaper?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Do you have any extra rooms in your house? Maybe you could take a tenant for 6 months? When I was in college, I rented a room in a house. I would have been happy to take care of cats!