Brainstorming about TCS together

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Looks like we're going to have our coder available for a while soon, and I am willing to put in the budget, so I figured it's time to do some brainstorming for new features here on the board!

We already have a few ideas, so here they are.

TCS Wiki

CarolPetunia started the ball rolling with her idea of an in-house wiki (which she suggested calling the Kittypedia
), where members will be able to post all those bits of information, golden nuggets of experience, cat care tips etc, arranged by topic. It won't replace the article sections (which are accessible from the very top navigation menu to the right of the site logo), but will come in addition to those and will be user-created.

Expanded Cat Photo Contests

Essentially, it's a combination of switching over the Focus on Felines from Meowhoo.com to TCS, and building up the current contests managed by Heidi. The idea is to automate the contests so that submissions by members will go into queue, to be managed by the contest editor, but from then on, will be handled automatically or something (note the "or something"
- still thinking about the details).

So, time to put on your thinking caps and think what kind of new features you would love to see on TCS? What would truly make this THE cat site on the net? Be creative and let us know your thoughts.

Note - I'm starting this thread in the lounge for extra exposure, but will be moving it to the feedback forum in a few days.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'll have to sleep on it. See if I come up with anything. I would like to see an "ask and expert" I know there has been guest experts in the past but maybe something could be done with email. I don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What I'm looking for is on-site features really, rather than emails and such - things that will be available for all to browse and enjoy. Experts is a good point though - I can't imagine what keeping a regular in-house vet expert would cost like though...

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I can`t think of anything except having another live chat on Skype?
I second this idea or a web board chat

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to have a site with cat product/food ratings and reviews by members (like amazon)

This is kind of ultimate but it would be neat to have a diagnostic tool to solve cat behaviour problems by asking if you have tried certain things, etc. It might also have an input function for what worked.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

I would like to have a site with cat product/food ratings and reviews by members (like amazon)
Actually, many of us have already reviewed products at an affiliated site run by a veteran TCS member: http://www.catreviews.com/

Resurrecting the Skypecasts/ chats is an idea, if we can manage to coordinate all the different time zones involved.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can't think of anything.
I think TCS is already "purr-fect" enough as it is.

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I am mainly thinking about forum add-ons, not new sections on the rest of the site. If product reviews, hmmmm, maybe something along the way of people voting, and ranking products with the overall scores displayed - bring in the power of the community, so to speak.

Keep the ideas coming - these are great - thanks!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
only a few people can change colours of there name etc maybe making it so when you reach certain level of posts making this available?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

only a few people can change colours of there name etc maybe making it so when you reach certain level of posts making this available?
that'll most likely stay a premium member perk, [along w/the larger avatars] in order to help entice others to join as a premium member.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that'll most likely stay a premium member perk, [along w/the larger avatars] in order to help entice others to join as a premium member.
That's my assumption, also.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about a forum specifically for "product reviews"?

Things like the new Tidy Cats Breeze thread(s) could go in there. Those threads are currently in Care & Grooming, but it would be nice to have a forum where one could find reviews of products instead of searching through C&G.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My idea probably isn't a good one, but what about a featured "cat of the day/week" chosen by an appointed mod?? Maybe something like the member spotlight of the week, but with questions only about the featured cat and their habits, likes, dislikes, favorite toys,etc?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
These are a couple of minor fixes and I don't know if they're possible given lack of vbPlaza support. The "balloon text" (the text that shows up when the mouse is over a gift) for gifts and ribbons have a couple of quirks.

1) Fix the display of special characters. Special characters in the gifts "balloon text" show up as html special characters. Example: I send a message from A & B. The message shows up as A &amp ; B

2) For the ribbons, display the user message in the balloon text instead of the standard message text.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if possible [& i don't know if it is?] it would be nice if the ribbons displayed the message we type in like the gifts do... either in addition to or instead of the list of what the ribbon can stand for.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Hmm, I'll have to sleep on it. See if I come up with anything. I would like to see an "ask and expert" I know there has been guest experts in the past but maybe something could be done with email. I don't know.
Any thoughts about kitty blogs?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you put the option to buy a gift in the drop down list when you click on the users name? Maybe it's there now, but I can't find it. If so...please, someone tell me. Because I really hate having to go to the store, remember the name (and how it's spelled) and then go back and find where I was in the thread.