I thought I wasn't getting a stimulus check??

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned on here before that I owe taxes for last year. I have an installment agreement with the IRS for monthly payments to come out of my checking account on the 17th every month. I've already started paying.

In the mail Monday I received a letter from the IRS (dated May 19, 2008) to expect a stimulus check by the 23d of this month. I was under impression that if I owed I wouldn't be getting one. I talked to a few people who also owe and they said they received one. I'll believe it when I see it that I'll be getting one but if I do would it be because I was up front with the IRS about owing and already made arrangements to pay? It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get the idea you wouldn't get one? i was under the impression everyone would get one... unless they made too little to file.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get a letter you should be getting one. I know I'm getting one it's just taking forever. I really need it too. Leave it to the government to be slow.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we had our refund direct-deposited, we've already gotten our stimulus, and commited to be patriotic and spend it. If we had gotten it by mail, it would have come in July.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a email from Turbo Tax, and even though I did direct deposit, because I took my fees out of the refund check, mine will be mailed, I wish they had told me this before.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours was direct deposited about 10 days ago.

I don't think it made a difference if you owed or not if you met the income requirements you would get one.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine on the second of May, direct deposited! I immediately proceeded to use it to buy kitten supplies and pay for my kittens.

Best use ever, right?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Ours was direct deposited about 10 days ago.

I don't think it made a difference if you owed or not if you met the income requirements you would get one.
i owed - paid via direct withdrawal, & i'm supposed to get one [tho not for the maximum amount].
evidently direct withdrawal is not the same as direct deposit, tho - 'cause i haven't had anything deposited yet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i owed - paid via direct withdrawal, & i'm supposed to get one [tho not for the maximum amount].
evidently direct withdrawal is not the same as direct deposit, tho - 'cause i haven't had anything deposited yet!
You'll probably end up getting a check in the mail, like me.

The reason I didn't think I would get one is because I remember reading and hearing on a video clip that if you owed you wouldn't get a check. I assumed that it would go towards my balance. According to the letter I'm getting $600. I hope so, I need to pay for my Bengals tickets.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, Bryan, don't be silly- that would make sense to do that!!!
the IRS has got so many wires crossed it's not even funny! It seems like they've spent more on mailing out letters to everyone than on the actual stimulus package
I got my letter, AFTER I got my money direct deposited

and besides all that, why would you waste money on Bengals tickets??

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob owed $122 to the IRS for self-employment tax, but is scheduled to get a stimulus check as well. I think it was only if you made under $3,500 in 2007 that you wouldn't get one..

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there are exceptions.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...182003,00.html

Q. I'm eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?

A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I just got a email from Turbo Tax, and even though I did direct deposit, because I took my fees out of the refund check, mine will be mailed, I wish they had told me this before.
We received our check in the mail yesterday!! Couldn't have come at a better time!!

I think they made the rules up as they go, there is alot that is just now coming out!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Now, Bryan, don't be silly- that would make sense to do that!!!
the IRS has got so many wires crossed it's not even funny! It seems like they've spent more on mailing out letters to everyone than on the actual stimulus package
I got my letter, AFTER I got my money direct deposited

and besides all that, why would you waste money on Bengals tickets??

I got my letter after my money too!!

And I agree on Bungels tickets. What a waste of money

gtull1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you will get your stimulus check even though you are under a payment plan with the IRS. I really hope you do.

We got ours a couple of weeks ago. It has sure helped a lot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I wasn't getting one, they wouldn't have sent me a letter Monday saying to expect it by the 23d (this Friday), would they? I would have gotten a letter saying that they kept it instead?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

If I wasn't getting one, they wouldn't have sent me a letter Monday saying to expect it by the 23d (this Friday), would they? I would have gotten a letter saying that they kept it instead?
idk
i did the calculation, & i'm supposed to get something... but i never got a letter!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I'm glad they sent the email. We passed the date for our SS# and I couldn't figure out why we didn't get a direct deposit, now I know why.
A few more weeks are added on now..

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I dont understant this whole stimuluds check thing. Im married with 3 kids, we make less than 80,000 a year and pay in over 7,000 each year, So We should be getting 600 per each married person, and 300 for each additional child, so that would be a total of 21,00 right?/ And knowledge woujld be a ppreciated!!

Amber