Runny Poop

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My six week old babies are having runny poop problems!

Can this be from getting dewormed? OR from their first vaccinations? They got both of those on Thursday (so the dewormer was given Thursday, Friday and Saturday). They also got weaned at about the same time and are eating wet and dry food and drinking water...could this be it too? I will get them to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime I am worried about them! I am going out of town on Friday and hope they will be better before I leave.

Thanks!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG....me, too!!! The kittens I am fostering are now just about 6 weeks. They were separated from mom last Wednesday (not yet weaned, but the shelter did it...kept mom) after their shots.

I've left out canned food to help them get used to eating food and they have water....they've been social and everything.

Tonight, one of them came running downstairs out of nowhere and was dragging her behind. She seemed really anxious about this and was jumpy in the process. When I looked at her, her bottom has some soft-mucus-poo and her fur around it was wet. Her bottom seemed a little swollen/irritated and red. I cleaned her off and she seems ok now..playing and everything...

But I am wondering what is causing this and if I really need to be overly concerned.

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having a similar problem, my kittens are also 6 weeks old and weaning. I'm feeding them regular meals of wet kitten food (they weren't interested in the dry stuff) and a little bit of KMR milk from the syringe (they're orphans). They both, but one (the runt) more than the other have runny poo, they're still happy boys though and playing so I'm not too worried but they will be going to their permanent home (together) next Tuesday (because I'm leaving the country), so it definitely needs to be cleared up. They haven't been wormed yet because I can't find roundworm treatment in Indonesia... could this be the problem??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like we are having the same problems! Mine are orphans as well, had them since about 7 days old. They are still acting fine...playing, lots of energy, eating...but I am also going out of town Thursday! They are at the vet right now just to make sure they get better so my DH's aunt who will be watching them won't have to worry! I am worried about Stitch...she is definitely dehydrated(tested her skin turgor) so hopefully the vets take care of that today!

joyzerelly- mine didn't have this problem before they were wormed, just after! But so many things happened at the same time (vaccinations, deworm, weaned) that I am not sure what has caused it. Who knows, lol.

I'll let you know what the vet says!

BTW- the foster coord/vet tech got mad at me that they weren't fully weaned by 5 weeks old! And this morning she seemed irritated when I asked for wet food...said they should be just on dry now! But the dry they gave me is TOO big for them to chew!

Won't all cats wean at different ages?lol

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitties are back home. They do not have any kind of infection but I was given Amforol to give to them the next 3 days. It should clear up their problems by the time we leave! That way I won't be worrying about them the whole time, or at least not as much.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And nothing was suggested as to what could be causing it (shots or otherwise?). I still have just one with this problem..and it is like she just can't control it...it just seeps out wherever she is (EWW!!!! LOL!). I feel really badly. Her bottom is just nearly raw and swollen.

Originally Posted by roxsam

The kitties are back home. They do not have any kind of infection but I was given Amforol to give to them the next 3 days. It should clear up their problems by the time we leave! That way I won't be worrying about them the whole time, or at least not as much.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

And nothing was suggested as to what could be causing it (shots or otherwise?). I still have just one with this problem..and it is like she just can't control it...it just seeps out wherever she is (EWW!!!! LOL!). I feel really badly. Her bottom is just nearly raw and swollen.
Aww, poor thing!! Two of mine have really raw bottoms too
She can't pinpoint exactly what caused it...she said probably a lot to do with stress from their first vet visit, shots, medicines, things getting stuck in their butt, lol. That along with being weaned and adjusting to their new food.