Eye Infection?

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I think one of our kittens might have an eye infection. I hope not, I hope it's just a bit of crust that's built up (this is the last one to open her eyes), but I've included a picture to get some opinions on what the problem is and what I can do - I'm sorry that the picture isn't very clear, this little one won't hold still for anything, but it should show enough.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
does it have a green tinge? if it's just yellow, it's not as scary... but a green tinge would definitely mean infection.
do warm moist compresses help it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No green tinge as far as I can tell - I've tried wiping her eye a few times with a warm cloth, but it doesn't really seem to be helping. :/

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have no more suggestions
just going to send & that your little one will be ok.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get the kitten to fall asleep on you or in your arms. Keep a nice warm wet cloth over the eye. Rubbing it might hurt because it's crusted to the fur. While the kitty is sleeping the wetmess of the cloth will loosen the gunk up enough to wipe away. Wipe it from the inner corner to the outside.

Hope that helps

Susan

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, i will try that

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep take a warm wet cotton ball or paper towel and wipe it. If you don't get it uncrusted there will be some major build up and eye infection. Good luck!

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the kitten falling asleep on me was simply not going to happen, but I did manage to get it to hold still long enough to get a little of the gunk off. I checked it this morning and so far most of the gunk seems to have disappeared on its own, so I'm hoping it's falling off. I'm going to call a vet today to be sure.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! The rest of the crust seems to have fallen off overnight, and the kittens eye is open
*dance*

emmie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens has this.. every morning we get up and babys eye is closed again..

I take a warm cloth and gentle drip a small drop of warm water (boiled but cooled untill body temp) onto the closed eye then very gently wipe away from the inside corner out. Use a different part of the cloth each time so that any crust that comes away doesnt end up back in the eye.. Im doing this three times a day and kittys eye is getting much better..

I hope your babys eye is fine now but if not then try that..

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,
this is actually very common. If the infection isn't clearing up, you should call your vet to get some triple antibiotic ointment to put in the kittens' eyes--that'll take care of it right away. You need to make sure to wipe the gunk off their eyes at least twice a day to prevent pus build-up: if the pressure is too severe, the kittens' eyes can be permanently damaged.

I'd recommend just calling the vet and getting the ointment. It's the easiest and the best thing to do for the kittens.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

Hey guys,
this is actually very common. If the infection isn't clearing up, you should call your vet to get some triple antibiotic ointment to put in the kittens' eyes--that'll take care of it right away. You need to make sure to wipe the gunk off their eyes at least twice a day to prevent pus build-up: if the pressure is too severe, the kittens' eyes can be permanently damaged.

I'd recommend just calling the vet and getting the ointment. It's the easiest and the best thing to do for the kittens.
I have the same prob with a foster litter. 2 of the 5 have it. I have been dealing with it for over a week. I called vets, but they will NOT give out the antibotic without a $65 office visit! I tried to buy the meds online, but need a script, so SOL

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

I have the same prob with a foster litter. 2 of the 5 have it. I have been dealing with it for over a week. I called vets, but they will NOT give out the antibotic without a $65 office visit! I tried to buy the meds online, but need a script, so SOL
when i rescured Firefox, she had an eye infection, too. the vet gave me a 'special' antibiotic ointment for it. got home - ingredients were EXACTLY the same as the generic triple antibiotic ointment i ALREADY had at home!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some eye bath/eye wash that contains minimal amounts of boric acid. But it MUST contain boric acid. Soak a cotton ball and hold it around the crusted eye. After a few seconds gently wipe the crust away.

It should help...a LOT!

If you fail to get an eye wash, use saline solution. Not as good but better than water!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get powdered boric acid in most pharmacies. Make a very weak, warm solution and use that. My mother did that for years, and never had a kitten whose eyes didn't heal up quickly.

The eye solution you get from your vet probably has boric acid in it, about 3%, if I recall, maybe even less.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The eye infection antibiotics I got from my vet ALSO were the exact same ingredients as the drug store triple antibiotic ointment -- but it didn't have percentages or quantities on the one from the vet. Anyone know if they really are the same thing, or is the vet one different in some way?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

The eye infection antibiotics I got from my vet ALSO were the exact same ingredients as the drug store triple antibiotic ointment -- but it didn't have percentages or quantities on the one from the vet. Anyone know if they really are the same thing, or is the vet one different in some way?
no, but i will share this - someone [probably a baby kitten!] managed to 'lose' the vet ointment... so i used the people one. worked just fine, too!

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also try tea.

Boil a tea bag. Cool it down and add a few drops into the eye every once and awhile (just make sure it's not too hot or cold). I had a kitten that had eye trouble and tried several different things to clear it up and nothing worked until I did the tea trick. It cleared up in two days. I used what I had Tetley Ice Tea Bags...

kittenrescuer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems so!

I found something that helps with eye infections in cats.

Tea bags!

Just put them in warm water (the teabags) wait till they start to make, and then squeeze out the water and hold it to the infected eyes.

But only do this until you have time to go to the vet and get a REAL evaluation and medicine. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used cold tea, but I would pour boiling water on as that sterilises it.  I didn't put it in the eye, just used it for cleaning a friend's cat's eyes before putting his eye ointment in.  The friend wasn't very reliable at doing it and I was only there for a couple of days so I have no idea how much (if at all) my care helped.