Picked up a boat today... *pictures*

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Rob had been hunting on Craigslist and found a boat listed nearby where I work. We went over to take a look at it today, and ended up driving home with it about 30 minutes later!! We got an awesome deal on it, especially since it came with the trailer (which has 4 new tires, and 4 new wheel hubs) also. I was out there washing the exterior off (except the underpart, that was pretty filthy and made the water nasty while I was trying to clean the rest of it!)

We live on the coast of SC, and there's a few lakes nearby, rivers, some Intracoastal waterways, and of course, the ocean. I saw some people out on boats yesterday when I left work and told him we needed to go take a look at it! It's a 74 Slickcraft with a 350 GM engine (which is converted to a marine Mercruiser 250). Supposedly these boats are very commonly restored and are pretty quick. We looked one up and it was selling for $7200! The neighbor came over and said he's extremely jealous
He's offered to help with whatever we need help with (some woodwork needs to be done in the cubby, but it's not that serious), if he gets to go out on the boat with us from time to time in return. The carburetor needs to be rebuilt, but my dad already offered to do that for us (he's built a few boat engines before
)

Here's some pictures of our newest acquisition (as you can see, Rob and the neighbor are already enjoying some in-boat relaxation!):

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty nifty!

You know the two happiest days in a boat owner's life? The day he buys a boat...and the day he sells it!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
So lucky!

My dad has always wanted a boat (ok, I want one too haha) we love to fish and be on the water... but we just don't have the money for it - now especially with gas prices... but it's always been a hope of mine that one day I will be able to get my dad a boat, probably won't be huge, but something... and if you lived closer to me, I'd sure be stowing away haha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Pretty nifty!

You know the two happiest days in a boat owner's life? The day he buys a boat...and the day he sells it!
That's the first thing our neighbor said when he came over too.

I'm looking forward to a weekend out on it. Especially since the cubby up front has another cushion to turn it into a bed so you can sleep there! (And I LOVE when I can get away from where we currently live!) It also has a toilet (or "head", as it was being called) up front. I've never seen a toilet on a regular boat before, so that was pretty interesting too. Rob's going to probably sell our Pontiac Fiero to put the money into the boat instead. (We have 5 cars and a boat, maybe it's about time to get rid of one of those cars - especially since the Fiero turned out to be different than what Rob expected after we got it and had it for a year).

The boat has a 150 gallon gas tank ... THAT will put a dent in the wallet!
150 x 3.60 = $540 at the current price of gas!!
Glad we wont have to fill that up often!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, major cool. Slickcraft hulls are indestructible. Replace a little decking wood every now and then and they'll last forever. And the 350 is ridiculously easy to find parts for. You'll love it

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The boat has a 150 gallon gas tank ... THAT will put a dent in the wallet!
150 x 3.60 = $540 at the current price of gas!
Whoa!

I used to have a boat (I live on a river that is big for recreational boaters), in the 80's, and even then gas for it was expensive. We'd usually cruise for a little while, then pull up on a sandbar or an island and just sit there (and drink...hey, I was in my 20s) the rest of the day. It was too expensive to drive it very far.

A toilet is a *must* on a boat if you are female. I wouldn't buy another boat without one.

Congrats. you'll have lots of fun!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

So lucky!

My dad has always wanted a boat (ok, I want one too haha) we love to fish and be on the water... but we just don't have the money for it - now especially with gas prices... but it's always been a hope of mine that one day I will be able to get my dad a boat, probably won't be huge, but something... and if you lived closer to me, I'd sure be stowing away haha
Well I used to live closer
I lived in NJ (right off Lake Hopatcong) from the time I was born, until 2004 (and didn't leave on my own free will! Lol). We had a few boats over the years there. If I was still there, I'd let ya stow away!

My dad gave up his boat when we moved to NC, and I think he misses it. He was super-excited when I told him we got one (even though they live 3 hours away from me!) Rob wants to buy his dad a little fishing boat, since they used to have one and his dad enjoys fishing. The boat they had was all cracked and busted up, so they've got none now. When his parents pulled in, we expected them to freak out .... but his dad actually looked excited too - he was envisioning fishing poles sticking out the sides.

It feels kinda crazy ... we're building a house, have 5 cars, and now a boat. Never in my life did I think I'd be doing/having all this! Luckily we find deals on most of this stuff
The guy had listed it at $1800 for the boat + trailer..

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We havent figured out what to name it yet, but that's a pretty good idea!

Monte thinks its a new bed
He jumped right up on it and curled up in the center of the cover. Katina thinks its a nice new shady spot to hang out under.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That boat sure looks great!

Wish I could afford one...they are so much fun to use. We spent two years in a row on a boating holiday in Norfolk, it was so relaxing!