I am so doing it this time (Weight Loss)

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've finally decided it's time to get this weight off my body. I'm about 5'3" and weight in at about 205 lbs. Two weeks ago I started walking about three times a week and eating better, and so far it seems to be helping. Now last week, I increased exercising up to every day for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Most days I will walk depending on the weather, and others I go down to our fitness room and use an elliptical machine (it's the only one they have down there.. kind of cheap if you ask me lol). The most I skip is one day a week. I've just so had it with taking blood pressure medications and living with side effects, so it is time to get this done. I've struggled with blood pressure problems for going on about 4 years now and I'm just sick of it; I hate worrying about it all the time. Within the last 3 weeks, I've lost about 5 pounds already. I already feel better, have a little more energy. The only drawback is Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some days when I walk my joints kill me on the next day.

This lady at the doctor's office suggested I eat more protein throughout the day to stay full longer. Does this work for anybody else? Anybody got any advice for me? I feel good about doing this but I'm afraid it's going to be like the last time I did this and stopped because I felt it wasn't going anywhere..

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on a Diet and will eat String Cheese for Protien. I have lost about 9 Pounds so far. I eat alot of Soy and Tofu. What are you eating so far?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormchickx

This lady at the doctor's office suggested I eat more protein throughout the day to stay full longer. Does this work for anybody else? Anybody got any advice for me?
i think it would help. for one thing, protein consumptions seems to help control carb cravings.
now, this isn't a necessary thing - but i have a website where you can order protein powder [for making drinks] samples for $1.99 each. that way, you can 'try before you buy' & see if you find one you like. i've found that if i'm eating enough protein, i'm less likely to graze [that's what i do, btw].
i also like these bars for snacking: powercrunch.
they come in several flavors, & are carried online as well as in Vitamin Shoppe stores. each bar has 9 g of carbs & 14 g of protein, & only 4 g of sugar, plus 1 g of fiber... & they're very good!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice is to eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds. Basically, if you can't wash or rinse it, don't eat it. Exception is nonfat dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) which is okay.

Especially, don't eat refined sugar, refined flour, and artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors. No fatty dairy, no bread. Whole wheat pasta is okay.

You'll be washing a lot of produce and spending time cooking but you will look and feel great. If you must buy something packaged (peanut butter or pasta sauce for example), check the ingredients to make sure there is no added sugar and that the ingredients are simple ones you would use if you cooked it. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am on a Diet and will eat String Cheese for Protien. I have lost about 9 Pounds so far. I eat alot of Soy and Tofu. What are you eating so far?
Mostly eating cereal that's high in fiber (Kashi for example) oatmeal, yogurt (no sugar, the Light kind). I do get Nature's Own Breads, the kind they make with more fiber in them. No white breads at all. I'm also trying to eat more tuna, fresh vegetables and fruits, low fat cheeses, and canned stuff that doesn't have sodium added or Organic canned beans (you can find a ton of these at Kroger and they're pretty good). If I eat out, I don't order fries or burgers, mostly grilled chicken and stuff like that, salads, wraps, making sure they don't have the high fatty dressings and such. I've been told to eat something with a lot of protein and wait 20 minutes to see if I'm still hungry.

i think it would help. for one thing, protein consumptions seems to help control carb cravings.
now, this isn't a necessary thing - but i have a website where you can order protein powder [for making drinks] samples for $1.99 each. that way, you can 'try before you buy' & see if you find one you like. i've found that if i'm eating enough protein, i'm less likely to graze [that's what i do, btw].
i also like these bars for snacking: powercrunch.
they come in several flavors, & are carried online as well as in Vitamin Shoppe stores. each bar has 9 g of carbs & 14 g of protein, & only 4 g of sugar, plus 1 g of fiber... & they're very good!
The bars sound pretty good, I can see if a health store around here has those. I am thinking of trying protein shakes from the smoothie shoppe (nixing the sugars of course). Ty a lot

My advice is to eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds. Basically, if you can't wash or rinse it, don't eat it. Exception is nonfat dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) which is okay.

Especially, don't eat refined sugar, refined flour, and artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors. No fatty dairy, no bread. Whole wheat pasta is okay.

You'll be washing a lot of produce and spending time cooking but you will look and feel great. If you must buy something packaged (peanut butter or pasta sauce for example), check the ingredients to make sure there is no added sugar and that the ingredients are simple ones you would use if you cooked it. Good luck!
I found this awesome peanut butter that's all natural, made by Krema. They don't add sugar or anything of the like in it and it tastes wonderful. I make a half a sandwich with that on there and sometimes add low sugar strawberry jam to it. It calms my sweet tooth a bit.

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Actually, high protein low carb (but not scary low carb diets) are very successful. There are many out there, or you can just do your own thing. The KEY is to be sure that you are eating LEAN protein, chicken breast, turkey breast, white fish etc. Red meat or shrimp is ok, just once or twice a week or so. It's not for everyone and there is ALOT of debate about whether or not ketosis (the state of fat burning) is a good thing. I can only speak for myself - I've lost 53 lbs since January 1st and I feel great. I still have 40 or 45 more to lose, but I'm sticking with it. To be clear, ANY weight loss plan will work if you stick with it - it's just a matter of deciding it's going to happen this time no matter what

Good luck!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This lady at the doctor's office suggested I eat more protein throughout the day to stay full longer. Does this work for anybody else? Anybody got any advice for me? I feel good about doing this but I'm afraid it's going to be like the last time I did this and stopped because I felt it wasn't going anywhere..
Each meal should be balanced - protein/carbs/fiber. When you add fiber and protein, it slows down the digestion rate and keeps your stomach more satisfied. Also, if you change the way you eat - eat smaller portions 6 (3 main meals and 3 snacks) times a day over the older way of eating 3 main meals you will also help stop the cravings and be more satisfied.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

That's what I am doing right now. Have some food related health issues and have stopped the white sugar/white flour/highly processed or packaged foods. I'm creating all my meals from scratch and balancing portions 6 times a day. I've seen a huge different in how I feel and energy levels within the last 2 weeks.

No white breads at all. I'm also trying to eat more tuna, fresh vegetables and fruits, low fat cheeses, and canned stuff that doesn't have sodium added or Organic canned beans (you can find a ton of these at Kroger and they're pretty good). If I eat out, I don't order fries or burgers, mostly grilled chicken and stuff like that, salads, wraps, making sure they don't have the high fatty dressings and such. ..............
The bars sound pretty good, I can see if a health store around here has those. I am thinking of trying protein shakes from the smoothie shoppe (nixing the sugars of course).

I found this awesome peanut butter that's all natural, made by Krema. They don't add sugar or anything of the like in it and it tastes wonderful. I make a half a sandwich with that on there and sometimes add low sugar strawberry jam to it. It calms my sweet tooth a bit.
Just watch your portions and balance your eating and you will be much better. Also, watch out for concentrated items (ie-fruit juices, smoothies, nut spreads, energy bars). They may have 'no added sugar' but are high in calories. It's always better to eat the actual fruit or food over the processed items. It's ok as a treat, but not a regular daily item. Watch the energy bars also, half the chemicals they put in them you can't even figure out!

Eat as natural as possible, balance portions and increase your fiber and veggie intake and you will do well. Good luck!

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Exception is nonfat dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) which is okay.
Watch the non-fat dairy; many times they add high fructose corn syrup to make up for the lack of fat to give it some taste. Personally, I'd rather eat a little more fat and avoid the HFCS. I tend to eat little dairy when I diet, but when I do it is full fat. I avoid all sugar, and especially HFCS.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on Weight Watchers for about 4 months, and I find that adding protein does help me feel less hungry or puts off the hunger for longer. I usually try and eat some turkey or a Lean Cuisine in the middle of the day. Another great source of protein is the breakfast sausage or hamburgers made by Boca. Good job!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the very same spot you're in right now -- I've been wakling every day for seven weeks, and the difference it's making is just astounding!
Like you, I've been searching for ways to get enough protein without taking in too many calories along with it... and the best thing I've found is Clif protein bars. I started out with the Luna Nutz Over Chocolate bar, which is very good, but then I found the Clif Peanut Butter bar, and oh my gosh! It's perfect: very moist and chewy, and just slightly sweet, like a peanut butter cookie -- but not so sweet that you can't enjoy it when you're not in dessert mode.

I've tried the protein drinks and just can't deal with them -- but these bars are terrific! I've got my 82-year-old mom eating them now, too. In fact, we just came back from picking up single Clif bars in a variety of other flavors to try, and so far they're all good!

Congratulations on what you're doing for yourself -- great job!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Like you, I've been searching for ways to get enough protein without taking in too many calories along with it... and the best thing I've found is Clif protein bars. I started out with the Luna Nutz Over Chocolate bar, which is very good, but then I found the Clif Peanut Butter bar, and oh my gosh! It's perfect: very moist and chewy, and just slightly sweet, like a peanut butter cookie -- but not so sweet that you can't enjoy it when you're not in dessert mode.
imo, the Clif bars are too high in sugar...
nutrition info:
Calories 250
Calories from Fat 50
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Potassium 250 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Insoluble Fiber 4 g
Sugars 20 g
Other Carbohydrate 17 g
Protein 11 g
ingredients: (peanut toffee flavor)
Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifProâ„¢ (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Dry Roasted Peanuts, ClifCrunchâ„¢ (Apple Fiber, Oat Fiber, Organic Milled Flaxseed, Chicory Extract, Psyllium), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Peanut Toffee (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Peanuts, Cocoa Butter, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Dry Roasted Peanuts, Natural Flavors, Salt, Soy Lecithin), Organic Peanut Butter (Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts, Salt), Icing (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Cocoa Butter, Soy Milk, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Peanut Flour, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Green Tea Extract (50mg caffeine equivalent).

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely recommend the website Sparkpeople.com for weight loss. I've been using it for over a year now and I've lost over 50 pounds so far! They have a ton of tools, articles, and etc and it's all free. If you sign up and put in your height/weight and how often you plan to exercise and your weight loss goals the site will set up a guide for you with how many calories and how much protein/fat/fiber/other nutrients you should be eating each day. They also have a feature where they will give you meal ideas for each day or you can look up the foods you've eaten and it will tell you how many calories and fat/protein/etc you have eaten. They also have a fitness tracker to see how many calories you are burning and a lot of useful articles and things too...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

imo, the Clif bars are too high in sugar...
nutrition info:
Calories 250
Calories from Fat 50
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Potassium 250 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Insoluble Fiber 4 g
Sugars 20 g
Other Carbohydrate 17 g
Protein 11 g
ingredients: (peanut toffee flavor)
Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro™ (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Dry Roasted Peanuts, ClifCrunch™ (Apple Fiber, Oat Fiber, Organic Milled Flaxseed, Chicory Extract, Psyllium), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Peanut Toffee (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Peanuts, Cocoa Butter, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Dry Roasted Peanuts, Natural Flavors, Salt, Soy Lecithin), Organic Peanut Butter (Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts, Salt), Icing (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Cocoa Butter, Soy Milk, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Peanut Flour, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Green Tea Extract (50mg caffeine equivalent).
It has a lot of protein, but it would have to be a meal replacement, not a snack. According to Weight Watchers, it's 5 points, which is about 1/3 of what I personally can eat in a day.

Laureen, how many g of sugar would you eat in a day...???

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

It has a lot of protein, but it would have to be a meal replacement, not a snack. According to Weight Watchers, it's 5 points, which is about 1/3 of what I personally can eat in a day.
but compare it to Power Crunch [peanut butter fudge flavor]
nutritional info:
Calories 200

Calories From Fat 105

Total Fat 12 Gm

Saturated Fat 5 Gm

TRANS FAT 0 Gm

Cholesterol 0 Mg

Sodium 100 Mg

Potassium 125 Mg

Total Carbohydrate 10 Gm

Dietary Fiber 1 Gm

Sugars 5 Gm

Protein 13 Gm

ingredients:
Peanut Butter (Ground Roasted Peanuts), Protein Blend [Proto Whey (Micro Peptides from Extreme Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Fraction, Maltodextrin, L-Glutamine, SoftPsil (Micronized Psyllium Fiber), MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Sucralose), Milk Protein Isolate], Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Cottonseed Oil, Sugar, Whey, Dextrose, Cocoa, Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Wheat Starch, Soy Lecithin, Baking Soda, Salt, Sucralose. May Also Contain Trace Amounts of Carmine Natural Color.
not as natural, i grant you - but far lower in sugar [and calories] plus higher in protein!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I try to cut back on the sugars as much as possible. I don't drink sodas like I used to, just the diet sodas and I drink a lot of water now. If I have to have chocolate, I buy those Hershey's sugar-free chocolate squares and I think they taste about the same, plus my bf loves them to death. I'm trying some of those South Beach frozen meals as long as they are lower in sodium. Some of those organic frozen dinners are great too (forget which ones). I'll have to try that website given in an earlier post and see how that works. Thanks so much for the support, everyone

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
laureen227;2297121 said:
but compare it to Power Crunch [peanut butter fudge flavor]
nutritional info:
Calories 200

Calories From Fat 105

Total Fat 12 Gm

Saturated Fat 5 Gm

I am not thrilled with the natural bar either but it is lower in SAT fat and total fat ...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am not thrilled with the natural bar either but it is lower in SAT fat and total fat ...
but, at least for me, sugars & carbs are far worse [weight-gaining-wise] than fats.
might be different for others....

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but, at least for me, sugars & carbs are far worse [weight-gaining-wise] than fats.
Me too! I have learned fat is not the enemy, and is far more necessary for good health than sugar. I've lost 50 lbs cutting out sugar & carbs while still eating good, natural fats. Plus, eating a bit of fat keeps you fuller longer, while sugars are pure empty calories with no benefit. Even a little bit of sugar will set off a major carb craving for me, so I really try to avoid it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh. That's how bad my eyes are -- I read it as 10 grams of sugar! Now, I do use Clif as a meal replacement, and only once a day... but I'm trying to get my mom to eat them instead of her beloved candy bars, as often as possible, because she needs the protein so badly. Maybe she can finish these up and I can find something better for us that maybe she'll like as much.

So many of these things are just drenched in chocolate, and as much as I love chocolate, I don't want it on everything, y'know? Especially because the chocolate they use in these things is not the best.