When a 'good' groomer goes wrong!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Izzy got groomed today....shaved!!

I paid $25 to have someone groom her & it's not at all what I wanted, I did not want her shaved!

I asked for her paws/legs trimmed as that's where she mats the worst & an evening out of her hair.

This is the end result, my poor nekkid girl.
Poofy head & little nekkid body.

She even put bows in her hair!!

NEVER going back to that woman again!!

I am worried about her sunburning now....she has no fur & that pasty pink little skin.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you didnt pay her Nat. Her legs are not even close to a Bichon cut at all. The only thing remotely "bichonish" is her ears.

I have never seen or heard a groomer put bows in a Bichon. I think she gave you a poodle shave down.

Shes a sweetheart and it will all grow back. Keep a shirt on her if shes going to be outside for long. Her nose should be ok if she doesnt stay out long.

Some groomer huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, everyone thinks she looks like a poodle here, too!!

Mom picked her up & paid her. I am pi$$ed. I will NEVER reccomend her & she's the only groomer locally (besides Crazy Carlee who has "whoopsed" enough to require 10 stitches in a dog).

I will happily drive 1 hour each way to get her groomed by a real person!!!

This is what my beautiful girl looked like before that woman got ahold of her

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad you took those bows out
That shows she didnt know what she was doing. Actually that is what they do with poodles.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Im glad you took those bows out
That shows she didnt know what she was doing. Actually that is what they do with poodles.
i used to own 1/2 poodles [1/2 poodle, 1/2 ???] - had 2 of them. we shaved them every summer [inside/outside dogs]. no sunburn problems, even tho i live in the sunny south!
'course, they had shade available when outside.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why people are thinking the bows are so strange... We put bows on quite a few small breeds where I work because so many of the owners were requesting it before it was routine.

I will agree the cut does not look good. Are you sure there wasn't any matting on her body that would have caused them to shave her?

She's a very cute little dog. What is she? She really doesn't look pure poodle or bichon to me..

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah usually groomers only shave them down like that if they are too matted. I used to work for a groomer and there were lots of owners that got really mad because their dogs were matted and she couldn't fix them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I combed her out this AM before I took her in. Yes she had a few mats at the tips of her hair, hence me being pro-active on the grooming. Shaving is warranted in extreme matting, she wasn't even near there! I've seen some seriously matted dogs & cats at the shelter......not my Izzy, I'd never let her get that bad!

Bows....ugh. No, she may be a froo-froo doggie but I draw the line at bows & clips in her hair.

(She's supposedly a purebred Bichon)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People do put bows in a lot of little dogs, but Izzy is a Bichon and a Bichon groom (which is what Izzy was 'suppose' to have today) does not include bows.

She was cut around her face which is why she doesnt have a Bichon look, but she is .........way before her cut with her sweet Bichon face

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Snowball will get that groom every once in a while and it lasts about 5 minutes before he runs into the dirt and rolls around

Originally Posted by laureen227

i think she looks like one... here's a pic from animal planet of a bichon

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

we shaved them every summer [inside/outside dogs]. no sunburn problems, even tho i live in the sunny south!
'course, they had shade available when outside.
Because Bichons have pink skin, they do get sunburned easily, which is why Izzy should have never been shaved down, but finding a groomer that can do a really good 'Bichon' cut is not always easy to find.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be pretty mad - in the first pics I initially thought she was a mini poodle puppy - woopsie!

But aside from that OMG WHAT a cute, sweet, adorable little girl! I love Bichons they are so white and gorgeous. She's a very sweet baby.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

but finding a groomer that can do a really good 'Bichon' cut is not always easy to find.
when i had my grooming business i had a few bichon clients. one owner told me that she was stopped in the park by a judge who complimented her on the dogs cut and said exactly what you did, good bichon groomers are quite rare.

i was also told this by the school i trained at, so i made a point of doing lots of bichons there!

i would hazzard a guess that as izzy wasn't matted, she tried to scissor her and went wrong, hence the 'clipped' look. there was enough fur on her to start with to achieve a reasonable bichon cut, obviously not on her head though!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

when i had my grooming business i had a few bichon clients. one owner told me that she was stopped in the park by a judge who complimented her on the dogs cut and said exactly what you did, good bichon groomers are quite rare.
Oh I wish you lived close to me. I have gone through several myself. I found one that I was really happy with and then all of the sudden, he completely changed the cut on us. Even after asking what was going on, he said he was doing it the same and after several more bad cuts, we changed once again. I am not so overly happy with who I am using now, either

In my neighborhood there are 3 other Bichons and one of them, I really liked his cut, so I started using the same groomer, but now after a year, her cut is changing
so a few weeks ago, he went yet to another groomer
so far so good.

My Bichon has really curly hair, not just wavy and he looks just like a lamb when he is washed in between his grooms and I love that, too

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone else uses this same groomer, she said she's never had an issue with her....although she always gets her Yorkie x shaved when he goes in for grooming.

Others said the same thing, they always get their dog shaved when they go to her. So....apparently she's not a groomer but a 'shaver'.

Either way, I have a nekkid puppy & I'm not happy. She's not happy, either....cuz mommy slathered her in sublock before she got to go play outside today.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!! You had to pay money for that! Yikes!!! I trim my mom's dog and he's a wire hair fox terrier. He lookes great, has the beard, the eyebrows, the fuzzy legs, I never went to grooming school or class and I can to a better job than that! We took the fox terrier to the groomer a few times and they do an awful job almost every time! They don't shave him like a fox terrier at all! They just shave everything off, but his beard. It's so frustrating!

I actually ended up getting paid for grooming other people's dogs when I was in high school! Maybe it's because I don't know how you "should" shave a dog and just listen to what the owners want.

She doesn't look awful! But I do agree, her poor pink skin!

Oh!!! And the bows! They would put a bandana on the wire hair fox terrier, it must be to hide how awful they shaved them!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My groomer gave my Golden bows the first time I brought her in... I thought it was weird at first but then I started to like them... Now I think she looks cute in them so I always have them give her bows!

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of our bichons that come in.. well.. don't look much like a bichon, lol. The rare times we get one that does, the groomer does a very nice cut. The others she just has to get as close as possible. We have a Wire Fox Terrier that comes in too, actually. He used to get the standard cut and looked very nice, but lately they have been requesting the whole shaved except the beard look.

Aw, Nekochan, your Golden reminds me of one that I've been giving baths to for a while now. She always requests purple bows.