So I landed an interview but am a little scared...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Well I went out with my cousin and her friends tonight (my cousin and her bf have been together like 7 years now and he still hasn't popped the question... yet the have a house/mortgage and a dog... she's getting frustrated and was holing herself up until tonight and she called me to come out/DD so I did)... the first bar we went to was actually the place the whole bunch of us had gone for New Years and that night we discovered that my junior prom date is a bartender there... so my cousin immediately called him over and I showed up and it was awesome to see him again
(also, my cousin and her friend had been there since 5, had some beers and dinner, then the friend's bf showed up for a few and I had 2 beers and when Karl - the prom date - brought over the bill it was only $35!!! We left him a $30 tip and thanked him continually throughout the night via text after we'd left)...

So after we left there, we went to a country bar, Prospectors, for awhile... I'd been there before and the local country station broadcasts live there every Friday... so the 4 of us were hanging out in one corner and kinda chatting it with the bartender (kinda cute lol) the station was giving out tickets via raffle to their annual anniversary show this summer - hard tickets to get - I already have tickets but my cousin was upset that she hadn't landed one... well, sweet-talking the bartender not only got her a ticket but landed me a job interview for Sunday!

I'm excited but scared... the bartender said he was the floor manager and to come back Sunday around 5 and told me what to wear... then he asked if I'd ever been behind a bar to work before.... I said no, cuz I haven't - his response was lie and say I had! How do I do that?! Like what if they ask for references?! I was thinking I'd just say I did a little bartending on and off in college but be non-specific about it... I won't be overly upset if I don't get the job... I mean I really do need a job, but I also need really steady money - my student loan payments (currently on unemployment deferment) are about $1000/month... it's my understanding that bartenders make minimum wage and basically live off tips, but tips aren't consistent.... and if I have to barback (ie: not make drinks... just fill the coolers, ice buckets, garnish trays etc) first, that's sure to be less money

I mean I know it's worth a shot and I won't be any worse off than I am right now if I don't get it, but it would be kind of a cool job to have...

So any suggestions on this situation? I mean I can pour beer from a tap and open bottles and make basic drinks like gin and tonic, rum and coke, etc... but without the recipe in front of me at the moment, I can't do fancy stuff like cosmos and all yet.... I took an at-home bartending course but that's all....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

the bartender said he was the floor manager and to come back Sunday around 5 and told me what to wear... then he asked if I'd ever been behind a bar to work before.... I said no, cuz I haven't - his response was lie and say I had! How do I do that?! Like what if they ask for references?!

So any suggestions on this situation? I mean I can pour beer from a tap and open bottles and make basic drinks like gin and tonic, rum and coke, etc... but without the recipe in front of me at the moment, I can't do fancy stuff like cosmos and all yet.... I took an at-home bartending course but that's all....
I used to bartend for a living and it was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I absolutely loved it and would go back to it in a heartbeat if it paid better money.

However, there is really no bluffing your way into the job.

If you lie and say you have bartended before and the manager asks you to make a drink to test you, what are you going to do? Consult a recipe book? Some of the places I've worked at actually tested my bartending abilities during the interview. Gave me random drinks to make to see if I actually knew what I was doing. And one even asked me to create a "new" drink.

And like you said, what about references? Most places do ask, and if he does, how do you plan on producing some?

If he doesn't ask and you are hired on blind faith, how do you plan on doing the job if all you can do is pour coke in a glass with rum or pour a beer. Can you even pour a beer as it's supposed to be poured: with just the right amount of head on it?

My advice to you is to go to the library tomorrow morning and borrow some bartending books with drink recipes in them, and study, study, study the recipes and memorize some of them.

Not only do you need to know what goes into the drink but also what glass it goes into.

When you go on Sunday, don't dress like a sleeze, which is probably what the guy told you to dress like...short skirt, low cut top, lots of makeup? Just dress nicely. And be up front with the Manager/Owner.

Tell him that you don't have any formal experience bartending, but you have mixed drinks for friends at parties and you enjoy it and you would love to get into the field.

I don't know how it is in the US, but where I live there are actually bartending schools. At one time they weren't mandatory, but they were moving that way because many places had started to ask me if I had taken the bartending course. In my case I hadn't because I basically was thrown into the lounge area at a restaurant I worked at when the bartender suddenly quit
I wasn't even old enough to be in a bar let alone be working in one. I ended up staying in there and actually running the lounge and ordering the stock etc.

It's possible that you might require a formal course (the aren't very long, a few months I think) which teaches about the alcohol, recipes, glasses. technique and what alcohols and mixes compliment one another etc.

If they don't require bartenders to take a course, you may still get hired if you are honest and up front with the owner about your lack of or minimal experience. Sometimes eagerness to learn is all that is needed. The rest can be learned on the job in time. Also a bartender needs to be efficient and friendly. It's a pretty high stress job and not all fun and games. You have to be able to work under stress and keep your cool and still be friendly. Often you have a waitress/waiter coming to you and shouting out a multitude of drinks they need and you can't be sitting there writing them down all of the time or you will never get the drinks mixed and out.

So be honest. If they hire you based on your actual merit, wonderful. But don't lie and scam your way into a job that you can't possibly try and bluff your way into. It's not like you are applying for a secretarial job and tell them you know how to work a photocopier but have never used one in your life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

However, there is really no bluffing your way into the job.

If you lie and say you have bartended before and the manager asks you to make a drink to test you, what are you going to do? Consult a recipe book?

And like you said, what about references? Most places do ask, and if he does, how do you plan on producing some?

If he doesn't ask and you are hired on blind faith, how do you plan on doing the job if all you can do is pour coke in a glass with rum or pour a beer. Can you even pour a beer as it's supposed to be poured: with just the right amount of head on it?

Not only do you need to know what goes into the drink but also what glass it goes into.

When you go on Sunday, don't dress like a sleeze, which is probably what the guy told you to dress like...short skirt, low cut top, lots of makeup? Just dress nicely. And be up front with the Manager/Owner.
The lying part really threw me... I was surprised that he said that, especially if he's the floor manager... I did take a course and I definitely do know how to pour a beer correctly, wine correctly and the proper way to mix drinks and the right glasses.... my bartending book has like a gazillion recipes in it, but I know I can't memorize them all.... idk, I kind of think the job won't happen mainly because of the money issue - if I'm employed AT ALL I owe $1,000/month no matter what to my student loan place.... now if I was a good, experienced tender, that is very easy to make at a good bar, but I would think if they were/are going to hire me with my current experience, they'd want me to barback first to get to learning everything and I really think that money is not going to be enough - it's pretty much the reason why I haven't been out seeking bartending jobs, but this kind of just fell in my lap last night... I wasn't even asking about it, just chatting with the guy and he goes "Do you need a job? Come back over on Sunday" So I'll go and be myself and be honest and if that's not what they're looking for, so be it

As for the dress, he just told me to wear jeans and a cute black top... that's all - I think he just wanted me to know like it's not an office interview and to not show up in a suit... I mean last night I had on jeans and a halter and very minimal make-up (my cousin called me last minute about all this, so it was a quick throw together... and I'm not an overly slutty dresser anyhow haha and never wear huge amounts of make-up)... it is a country bar so it's not like downtown New York City lol.... their tenders (the girls too) just wear jeans, boots and black bar t-shirts (like regular tshirts haha) and as far as I know the general range of drinks ordered isn't anything fancy, but I know I'd still be expected to know that stuff... it's one of those industries that you really need the experience to be hired but you gotta find a place to get the experience and I can't really take the monetary hit during the learning time.... yar

Any more suggestions are welcome!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they ask if you've tended bar, tell them, "Not professionally, but I've done it to help out and I've taken the course." That is not only not a lie, it's the absolute truth, and it will rule out them checking with a previous employer.

Often, getting and keeping a good job depends way too much on getting in the front door.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

When they ask if you've tended bar, tell them, "Not professionally, but I've done it to help out and I've taken the course." That is not only not a lie, it's the absolute truth, and it will rule out them checking with a previous employer
Yeppers. Now that I hear that she does have the bartender course and knows a bit about what she's doing, that is my advice too.

And a job is better than no job at all. Gaps in your resume can hurt you a great deal when it comes time to getting that dream job.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is immensely easier to find a job when you have a job, than when you don't have one.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice... I will go to the interview tomorrow and tell the truth and be myself, I'm just thinking that money will be the sticking point... it's the stupid student loans and like I can't just pick up a part time job for some petty cash until I get a good full time one - if I'm employed at all, I owe $1000/month... ugh

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a side note. Make sure you come across as really eager and REALLY wanting to learn. That's a big thing for people with little to no experience. I'd also kind of stress that course, it does make a big difference.

You come across as really nice and friendly on here, I bet you'll do just fine

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the advice... I will go to the interview tomorrow and tell the truth and be myself, I'm just thinking that money will be the sticking point... it's the stupid student loans and like I can't just pick up a part time job for some petty cash until I get a good full time one - if I'm employed at all, I owe $1000/month... ugh
It's a job and it's better than no job. It will be part time yes.. and probably only on weekend evenings/nights. So you will have to look at getting another job too.

Jobs are not so easy to come by these days, especially high paying ones right out of school. A lot of places expect you to start at the bottom and work your way up, which means starting at lower pay before getting a higher one. So don't be surprised if you end up working 2 or even 3 part time jobs to meet your monthly student loan payments.

There was a time I was working full time at a job that paid bearly over minimum wage and working 2 part time jobs on the side. I worked 7 days a week in order to meet my living expenses. I didn't like it, but it was something I had to do in order to survive. You might have to suck it up and do the same thing too for a while until you can get one or maybe 2 jobs that pay an adequate amount of money for you to live on.

But in the meantime, you do what you can to support yourself. If you were a single mother, sitting on your butt waiting for a dream job to drop in your lap wouldn't be an option. The sooner you start paying off that student loan, the sooner it gets paid.

And for $1,000.00 month repayment, it must be one heck of a sizable loan! So the sooner you get started, the better off you will be.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the more I think about this whole situation, the more uncomfortable I'm becoming with it.... I really really don't like the fact that he told me to lie and say I had serious behind the bar experience and I don't at all - to me that says they are looking for someone experienced and not looking to train someone... otherwise he would've said something like "well that's ok, we'd be willing to step you through it"

Also, what if he was lying himself... he could just be some bartender there and not a manager.... he didn't even tell me who I should ask for/would be talking with... I'm not even sure of HIS name (it was really loud in there and he was talking as he was working... and I didn't pay so I don't have a receipt to see if his name is on it).... I'm just imagining now walking in there and being like "yeah I was in here the other night and one of the bartenders said I should come for an interview".... like I almost feel like I'm being played for a fool and he was more trying to flirt with me than genuinely offering me an interview - and like I just mentioned, I don't even know if he's qualified to offer an interview... what if he was just trying to get me to come back so he could see me? He didn't even tell me a certain time to come - I would think a manager/owner/HR person wouldn't just want someone showing up expecting an interview

I don't know... I think I will have to talk to my mom about it in the morning and tell her how I'm feeling now that I've had serious time to think about this (we were visiting family today so I wasn't thinking about it at all until I got home tonight) and see what she thinks

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Don't be surprised if you end up working 2 or even 3 part time jobs to meet your monthly student loan payments. There was a time I was working full time at a job that paid bearly over minimum wage and working 2 part time jobs on the side. I worked 7 days a week in order to meet my living expenses. I didn't like it, but it was something I had to do in order to survive. You might have to suck it up and do the same thing too for a while until you can get one or maybe 2 jobs that pay an adequate amount of money for you to live on.
That thought has also crossed my mind if this were to just be a part-time gig... I know (via the hard way) that I physically cannot handle the stress of working several jobs 7 days a week... I literally burn out and break down and become depressed/very sick... I have been applying for regular, full time work more in the field of my interest, just nothing has been offered to me yet... I'm also waiting to hear from Ameriprise (financial advising firm) about a position I applied for there - my parents are clients and their adviser is my "inside" to this opening, so she's working on getting my resume really seen and really considered and all that

Another huge problem is benefits... part time jobs don't come with them and I need the health insurance - I have none right now so basically I pray I just don't get sick or hurt (and get samples from my OBGYN for those meds)

This stinks, because I would love to bartend but it just isn't looking like the right time in my life for it at the moment... the loans are the biggest problem - I went to school out of state for 5 years, so it's about $110,000 which I already know regardless of what job I get, I will be taking at least the next 30 years to pay off unless I win the lottery

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't comfortable with the situation, then you shouldn't do it. There are great advantages and disadvantages to bar tending or bar keeping. Make a list of pros and cons......
I'm sure there is a more appropriate, comfortable, enjoyable PTJ for you.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But what if they are expecting you for the interview and you dont show up and dont call. Then when you really need the job you wont be able to apply there because you will have already turned them off to you! Bartending can be a great way to make cash! I dont know a single bartender that brings home less than 100 in tips each night, which means you would only have to save your tips for ten days to pay that one bill!! Sooner or later you're going to have to get a job to pay it! What did you go to school for?? Can you get a job in your field maybe??

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

But what if they are expecting you for the interview and you dont show up and dont call.
They're not expecting me... on my way out on Friday the bartender said "so maybe I'll see you on Sunday if you wanna come see about a job" I never committed to actually going or committed to a time... the bartender doesn't even know my name

My degree is in German language and literatures which I why I'm trying to get into finance and/or investment banking - they're internationally connected industries... I've applied to a lot of places, including several where I know someone that already works there and is trying to "showcase" me to whoever it is that's responsible for hiring, I just haven't landed anything yet

I do not want to teach (nor can I because I don't have a teaching certificate) and I've applied to TONS of translation companies, but they always turn me down because I am not a native German speaker and they have plenty of access to native German speakers who are also fluent in English (in Germany, they're required to take English very early on in school, so they are fluent in it early on)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! $110,000!

I'd be making more than $1,000 per month payments if I were you. You need to get that paid off as soon as you possibly can, and at $1,000.00 per month you will be paying on that for decades and it will be affecting all of your other credit that you want to get... IE: car loan, mortgage etc.

When I went back to school I had to get student loans too, but I made sure that I didn't get one extra penny more than I absolutely needed, and I worked while in school so that I could minimize the amount of loans I took out because I knew that once I finished school I had to pay the loans. It's easy to get money handed to you when you aren't having to pay it back right away, and then the reality of it all hits you in the face after the fact when you actually see the total of how much had been extended to you.

I would seek out a credit counsellor as soon as you possibly can and talk to them about getting a plan into place that will get you on the right track of paying down that loan ASAP and in a more timely manner than "decades".

So far as job hunting is going. Don't just submit a resume and leave it for them to contact you. For every job out there, there are dozens of applicants. You need to step up and be persistent and show them you are a serious candidate that takes iniciative. You need to be following up on applications and interviews.

Also, you went to school out of state, so don't rule out looking out of state for a job. It might come to that the way the job markets are in some places.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the loan and job-hunting advice... I do appreciate it, but as far as the loans are concerned, I've done everything I can about them, believe me - I was not able to work during school, went some summers as well and out of state tuition was about $36,000 so I knew all of this was coming, yes it sucks but I've accepted that it's going to take me forever to pay off - working out of state is an option to a point, but with gas prices I can't be commuting too far or it's not worth it and I'm unable to move... I don't simply just submit resumes, but I do have to respect when the company contacts me after receiving my application and tells me to please not continually contact them - they do receive lots of applications and can't deal with all of those people also bugging them, so I understand... I was just posting about this particular situation that found me... I had weighed the pros and cons of bartending after I took the course and did realize that right now it's not what's going to work for me and I was not seeking this interview but was just offered it, I think simply because he was flirting with me (I admit I started it in order to get a concert ticket for my cousin.... tickets that you literally cannot buy and this bartender was able to go right to the radio station DJ and get one for my cousin)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I do not want to teach (nor can I because I don't have a teaching certificate)
teaching isn't for everyone... but if you decide to give it a try, you can probably get an emergency certificate. there's a teacher shortage - they're letting pretty much anyone w/a 4 year degree teach on an emergency basis.
you have to do some stuff while you're teaching, [they observe you, etc.] but you have a job, meanwhile.

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well I went out with my cousin and her friends tonight (my cousin and her bf have been together like 7 years now and he still hasn't popped the question... yet the have a house/mortgage and a dog... she's getting frustrated and was holing herself up until tonight and she called me to come out/DD so I did)... the first bar we went to was actually the place the whole bunch of us had gone for New Years and that night we discovered that my junior prom date is a bartender there... so my cousin immediately called him over and I showed up and it was awesome to see him again
(also, my cousin and her friend had been there since 5, had some beers and dinner, then the friend's bf showed up for a few and I had 2 beers and when Karl - the prom date - brought over the bill it was only $35!!! We left him a $30 tip and thanked him continually throughout the night via text after we'd left)...

So after we left there, we went to a country bar, Prospectors, for awhile... I'd been there before and the local country station broadcasts live there every Friday... so the 4 of us were hanging out in one corner and kinda chatting it with the bartender (kinda cute lol) the station was giving out tickets via raffle to their annual anniversary show this summer - hard tickets to get - I already have tickets but my cousin was upset that she hadn't landed one... well, sweet-talking the bartender not only got her a ticket but landed me a job interview for Sunday!

I'm excited but scared... the bartender said he was the floor manager and to come back Sunday around 5 and told me what to wear... then he asked if I'd ever been behind a bar to work before.... I said no, cuz I haven't - his response was lie and say I had! How do I do that?! Like what if they ask for references?! I was thinking I'd just say I did a little bartending on and off in college but be non-specific about it... I won't be overly upset if I don't get the job... I mean I really do need a job, but I also need really steady money - my student loan payments (currently on unemployment deferment) are about $1000/month... it's my understanding that bartenders make minimum wage and basically live off tips, but tips aren't consistent.... and if I have to barback (ie: not make drinks... just fill the coolers, ice buckets, garnish trays etc) first, that's sure to be less money

I mean I know it's worth a shot and I won't be any worse off than I am right now if I don't get it, but it would be kind of a cool job to have...

I don't know anything about bartending, but I'm sure you'll do great! Just try not to be nervous!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there still "forgiveness clauses" in student loans for teaching? I know mine had them, and they forgave 10% each year I taught. My wife got 20% of hers forgiven for teaching one year in a designated "low income" school.

But that was a long time ago.

Jobs are plentiful down here, especially around Fort Worth, due to the natural gas drilling going on.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I've never heard of that 'forgiveness clause'. That's fantastic.