TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Sorry, but I am so mad right now..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sorry, but I am so mad right now..

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Ugh, all I want to do right now is rant, so if you don't want to read, click the back button.

So we got this dog back in November 2007, and we already had three dogs before this one came along, so my mom and I both said that we didn't really need another one.. but my stepdad brought her home anyways. At first she wasn't too bad, just a little annoying, but she was still a little puppy. Here we are, a little over six months later, and she's driving me off the wall!

(rant starts here)
I'm home alone tonight, and I was expecting to have a nice, peaceful evening, but NO, I can't even have that with Lilly here (Lilly is this dog's name.. she's a German Pointer).

Anyways, I was getting around to take a bath earlier, and I put all the dogs out to go to the bathroom, and then I keep them in mom's bedroom (it's a bedroom + bathroom) so I can make sure they (mostly Lilly) don't destroy anything.. so I'm in the bath, and Lilly comes in the bathroom, and we've all noticed how gassy this dog is, she smells so disgusting.. so I thought that's all it was, but no, right after I bring them in from going to the bathroom, she poops on the floor by the bed.. so with that, I told her "no!" about ten times and put her outside. But no, she decided to run down to the side of the road and bark constantly at the neighbors who have a lot of guests over tonight instead.

So I get tired of yelling for her to come back in, and I put some shoes on and start walking across the front yard, and once she hears me yell then, she takes off and runs around the garage and sits at the back door.

And then I noticed, after I was putting her outside after her little "accident" in the bedroom, I stepped on some sharp spot on my way out of the bedroom, and noticed a few minutes later that my foot was bleeding..

Ugh, I'm not even kidding when I say that I am SOOOOO sick of this dog right now.. she's driving me INSANE. Yesterday she got ahold of, and pretty much destroyed, my favorite pair of flip flops..



So.. there really wasn't that much of a point to posting this up, I'm just really mad right now and wanted to vent, so if anyone read all the way through this, thanks.
post #2 of 23
I would guess you didn't have that relaxing bath.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's hoping everyone calms down and the rest of your evening is better. Hugs to you.
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I would guess you didn't have that relaxing bath.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's hoping everyone calms down and the rest of your evening is better. Hugs to you.
Haha, not unless ten minutes is considered "relaxing"..

At least they've all calmed down and fell asleep.. for now. But even when the other three aren't asleep, they're not too bad.. it's all Lilly.
post #4 of 23
German Shorthaired Pointer?

Take my word for it.....they mellow out when they hit about 5-ish. And even then they still get like that.

They are naturally a high energy/high strung breed....prone to destructive tendencies because they get bored.
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
German Shorthaired Pointer?

Take my word for it.....they mellow out when they hit about 5-ish. And even then they still get like that.

They are naturally a high energy/high strung breed....prone to destructive tendencies because they get bored.
That's her alright..

If that's the case, I wish she was that old already.. she drives me off the wall.. that's one of the reasons I don't like being alone with her, if I can't "entertain" her for a while, no one else can, and she destroys the house.
post #6 of 23
Have you tried things like Kongs? Treat balls? They are my saviors.

Perhaps try a good game of fetch sometime before you want down time? In my case, it's a game of "throw the ball, doggie races to get it, stares at it, stares at me, then comes trotting back to follow me out to pick up the ball".
post #7 of 23
It's not the dogs fault that he is acting like this it is lack of training and exercise. My australian shepherd mix would drive me batty too but I play fetch with her every day and take her for a long walk every day. Because of this she is a happy dog and doesn't drive me crazy. And I am more fit. Your dog needs stimulation and exercise. He will stop destroying things out of boredom if he is tired. If you can't get him exercise send him my way and I will. German pointers are my favorite purebred dog.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Have you tried things like Kongs? Treat balls? They are my saviors.

Perhaps try a good game of fetch sometime before you want down time? In my case, it's a game of "throw the ball, doggie races to get it, stares at it, stares at me, then comes trotting back to follow me out to pick up the ball".
Oh we try all sorts of things.. tennis balls, sqeaky toys, frisbees, different kinds of chew toys. Of course, our Lab is insane when it comes to tennis balls and doesn't want to share.. no matter how many there are.. so when we try playing fetch, it usually ends up as a growling/wrestling match for the ball..

You'd think she'd be worn out, as much as she constantly chases Roxie, my Pomeranian, but no.. she never seems to get tired of that.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by h~chan View Post
Oh we try all sorts of things.. tennis balls, sqeaky toys, frisbees, different kinds of chew toys. Of course, our Lab is insane when it comes to tennis balls and doesn't want to share.. no matter how many there are.. so when we try playing fetch, it usually ends up as a growling/wrestling match for the ball..

You'd think she'd be worn out, as much as she constantly chases Roxie, my Pomeranian, but no.. she never seems to get tired of that.

I have 3 ball crazy dogs who will fight over the ball a Boston terrier, Lab, and Australian shepherd mix. I have to play fetch with them seperately. It works out very well.
post #10 of 23
We had a Pure bred German Shorthair Pointer and she was Great. She died at age 15. We did have a Lab/Samoyed that destroyed the House. She even chewed teh Beds,Porch,Mattress and alot more.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey88 View Post
I have 3 ball crazy dogs who will fight over the ball a Boston terrier, Lab, and Australian shepherd mix. I have to play fetch with them seperately. It works out very well.
Ahhh, but it's so hard for us to keep them separated, if one goes out, they all want out, if one comes in, they all want in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
We had a Pure bred German Shorthair Pointer and she was Great. She died at age 15. We did have a Lab/Samoyed that destroyed the House. She even chewed teh Beds,Porch,Mattress and alot more.
I wish I could say Lilly was "great", but she's not.

Our Lab is the most well-behaved one. She was a little crazy when she came home as a puppy, but she's not anymore.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Ahhh, but it's so hard for us to keep them separated, if one goes out, they all want out, if one comes in, they all want in.
Have you tried? I bet if you had a fun ball outside with her and someone else occupied the other dogs inside it would work out.

Quote:
I wish I could say Lilly was "great", but she's not.
She is great! All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.

Quote:
Our Lab is the most well-behaved one. She was a little crazy when she came home as a puppy, but she's not anymore.
I love labs! My new dog is a lab and I love her to death
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey88 View Post
Have you tried? I bet if you had a fun ball outside with her and someone else occupied the other dogs inside it would work out.

She is great! All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.

I love labs! My new dog is a lab and I love her to death
We've tried a few times, the only way they don't try to find the others is if someone's actually gone from the house and takes the other dogs "for a ride"..

Ahhhh, I'll send her off to you then for a few weeks.. I think we'd all enjoy the peace.

Our lab was our first dog, and we all say that she's the most well-behaved one..
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey88 View Post
All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.
Especially the training part. Once you've gone through a good positive-reinforcement training course with your dogs, things will change drastically. There's a mental "click" that happens in training, when the dogs come to understand and accept that you are the leader of their pack -- and suddenly they're cooperating with you instead of tearing off on their own.

But it's your responsibility to work with the dogs (all of them, not just the "problem" dog) to get to that point. Go for training! You'll see!
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Especially the training part. Once you've gone through a good positive-reinforcement training course with your dogs, things will change drastically. There's a mental "click" that happens in training, when the dogs come to understand and accept that you are the leader of their pack -- and suddenly they're cooperating with you instead of tearing off on their own.

But it's your responsibility to work with the dogs (all of them, not just the "problem" dog) to get to that point. Go for training! You'll see!
They mentioned looking into an obedience training class for her, and when we're home, it's really my step-brother's responsibility to be training her and stuff, and when he isn't here, my step-dad does. She still does things that he gets on her about a lot, like running out into the street, that's one of the worst things she does.
post #16 of 23
I don't blame you. I'd be quite annoyed as well. My grandma has a little Yorkie, still a puppy. Most annoying dog I've ever seen. She gets all excited to see you then tries to nip when you pet her. She's so sweet when she finally calms down though. I've noticed a lot of small breed dogs are nippy. I wonder why.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat1 View Post
I don't blame you. I'd be quite annoyed as well. My grandma has a little Yorkie, still a puppy. Most annoying dog I've ever seen. She gets all excited to see you then tries to nip when you pet her. She's so sweet when she finally calms down though. I've noticed a lot of small breed dogs are nippy. I wonder why.
Small breed dogs aren't nippy if they are trained and socialized properly. None of the small dogs I have had have been nippy and my sister's chihuahua is the sweetest most gentle dog ever. People tend to let their small breeds get away with more. Large breeds can't get away with alot because they are so big.
post #18 of 23
Just one more thing and then I'll leave you alone about this: training is for the people too! It's funny, but it's true... all the dog's people have to know the same rules the dog has learned, or the dog gets mixed messages and doesn't know what to do. So the whole household really needs to be involved.

EDIT: Hey, you should talk to Nikki! (StarryEyedTiGeR) She knows ALL about dogs and I'll bet she could really help!
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Just one more thing and then I'll leave you alone about this: training is for the people too! It's funny, but it's true... all the dog's people have to know the same rules the dog has learned, or the dog gets mixed messages and doesn't know what to do. So the whole household really needs to be involved.

EDIT: Hey, you should talk to Nikki! (StarryEyedTiGeR) She knows ALL about dogs and I'll bet she could really help!
I do too and will try to help with anything you need.
post #20 of 23
GSPs are stubborn by nature. Before you can get any training through that thick head of hers, you'll have to tire her out.
post #21 of 23
I feel for you. I had a bulldog that chewed the legs off my furniture, ate 14 pairs of shoes, refused to be housebroken, and many other charming things. I walked him, played with him, took him swimming every day, put him out on a runner so he could play, and the local brats tormented him into hating kids. Nothing helped for me. I finally gave him to a friend that was just crazy about him, had a farm, and a lot more patience than I had with his nonsense. He live a long, happy life on the farm, and I will never have another dog.
I love my kitties!
post #22 of 23
Hmmm. Sounds like she needs some training.

Also, if she's only six months old, she's still very much a puppy and I feel your pain. Ruby was the most insane - and I mean literally insane - puppy I've ever come across. She's wonderful now, but she did require a lot of work. Once she got older she mellowed out considerably.

Still, she has had consistent and strict training from a young age. Doesn't take much, and it works wonders!
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Just one more thing and then I'll leave you alone about this: training is for the people too! It's funny, but it's true... all the dog's people have to know the same rules the dog has learned, or the dog gets mixed messages and doesn't know what to do. So the whole household really needs to be involved.
I agree with this 100%. You can't have 1 or 2 people in charge of training. EVERYONE has to know the rules and be consistant or else the pup isn't sure what he/she can or can't do. And, remember, Lilly IS still a puppy so she had a lot of excess energy to burn. What is healthy exercise for an older dog isn't enough for her because she's still growing, learning and exploring her boundaries. Remember, Lilly is the equivelant of a 7 year old boy! I get exhausted just watching kids play!


I have 4 dogs, and sometimes they do drive me crazy because 3 of them are under 2 years old! Talk about energy!! I try to let them tire each other out. If your playing ball, use more than 1 ball. Your lab probably brings the ball back, so have another (or 3-10) ready to throw again. Or better yet, I've found that the fabric frisbees work great, because whoever actually gets it will get into a tug of war with someone else. All you have to do is sit back and watch them play...until they get bored and want something else thrown. Gotta love 'em!

When it comes to chewing, she is probably teething...just like a human baby. I recommend getting some bones at the local market and boil them just enough that blood isn't running out of the marrow (normally takes about 10 minutes). You can give them to them raw, but personally, I think they last longer if you boil them off, plus it saves your carpet! Just keep an eye on them and once they start to actually break take them away. There are also the coated bones you can get in any pet section that last forever.

But, the most important thing is training her to know what is allowed and what isn't.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Sorry, but I am so mad right now..