Sorry, but I am so mad right now..

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, all I want to do right now is rant, so if you don't want to read, click the back button.

So we got this dog back in November 2007, and we already had three dogs before this one came along, so my mom and I both said that we didn't really need another one.. but my stepdad brought her home anyways. At first she wasn't too bad, just a little annoying, but she was still a little puppy. Here we are, a little over six months later, and she's driving me off the wall!

(rant starts here)
I'm home alone tonight, and I was expecting to have a nice, peaceful evening, but NO, I can't even have that with Lilly here (Lilly is this dog's name.. she's a German Pointer).

Anyways, I was getting around to take a bath earlier, and I put all the dogs out to go to the bathroom, and then I keep them in mom's bedroom (it's a bedroom + bathroom) so I can make sure they (mostly Lilly) don't destroy anything.. so I'm in the bath, and Lilly comes in the bathroom, and we've all noticed how gassy this dog is, she smells so disgusting.. so I thought that's all it was, but no, right after I bring them in from going to the bathroom, she poops on the floor by the bed.. so with that, I told her "no!" about ten times and put her outside. But no, she decided to run down to the side of the road and bark constantly at the neighbors who have a lot of guests over tonight instead.

So I get tired of yelling for her to come back in, and I put some shoes on and start walking across the front yard, and once she hears me yell then, she takes off and runs around the garage and sits at the back door.

And then I noticed, after I was putting her outside after her little "accident" in the bedroom, I stepped on some sharp spot on my way out of the bedroom, and noticed a few minutes later that my foot was bleeding..

Ugh, I'm not even kidding when I say that I am SOOOOO sick of this dog right now.. she's driving me INSANE. Yesterday she got ahold of, and pretty much destroyed, my favorite pair of flip flops..

So.. there really wasn't that much of a point to posting this up, I'm just really mad right now and wanted to vent, so if anyone read all the way through this, thanks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would guess you didn't have that relaxing bath.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's hoping everyone calms down and the rest of your evening is better. Hugs to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would guess you didn't have that relaxing bath.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's hoping everyone calms down and the rest of your evening is better. Hugs to you.
Haha, not unless ten minutes is considered "relaxing"..

At least they've all calmed down and fell asleep.. for now. But even when the other three aren't asleep, they're not too bad.. it's all Lilly.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
German Shorthaired Pointer?

Take my word for it.....they mellow out when they hit about 5-ish. And even then they still get like that.

They are naturally a high energy/high strung breed....prone to destructive tendencies because they get bored.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

German Shorthaired Pointer?

Take my word for it.....they mellow out when they hit about 5-ish. And even then they still get like that.

They are naturally a high energy/high strung breed....prone to destructive tendencies because they get bored.
That's her alright..

If that's the case, I wish she was that old already.. she drives me off the wall.. that's one of the reasons I don't like being alone with her, if I can't "entertain" her for a while, no one else can, and she destroys the house.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried things like Kongs? Treat balls? They are my saviors.

Perhaps try a good game of fetch sometime before you want down time? In my case, it's a game of "throw the ball, doggie races to get it, stares at it, stares at me, then comes trotting back to follow me out to pick up the ball".

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not the dogs fault that he is acting like this it is lack of training and exercise. My australian shepherd mix would drive me batty too but I play fetch with her every day and take her for a long walk every day. Because of this she is a happy dog and doesn't drive me crazy. And I am more fit. Your dog needs stimulation and exercise. He will stop destroying things out of boredom if he is tired. If you can't get him exercise send him my way and I will.
German pointers are my favorite purebred dog.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Have you tried things like Kongs? Treat balls? They are my saviors.

Perhaps try a good game of fetch sometime before you want down time? In my case, it's a game of "throw the ball, doggie races to get it, stares at it, stares at me, then comes trotting back to follow me out to pick up the ball".
Oh we try all sorts of things.. tennis balls, sqeaky toys, frisbees, different kinds of chew toys. Of course, our Lab is insane when it comes to tennis balls and doesn't want to share.. no matter how many there are.. so when we try playing fetch, it usually ends up as a growling/wrestling match for the ball..

You'd think she'd be worn out, as much as she constantly chases Roxie, my Pomeranian, but no.. she never seems to get tired of that.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by h~chan

Oh we try all sorts of things.. tennis balls, sqeaky toys, frisbees, different kinds of chew toys. Of course, our Lab is insane when it comes to tennis balls and doesn't want to share.. no matter how many there are.. so when we try playing fetch, it usually ends up as a growling/wrestling match for the ball..

You'd think she'd be worn out, as much as she constantly chases Roxie, my Pomeranian, but no.. she never seems to get tired of that.
I have 3 ball crazy dogs who will fight over the ball a Boston terrier, Lab, and Australian shepherd mix. I have to play fetch with them seperately. It works out very well.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a Pure bred German Shorthair Pointer and she was Great. She died at age 15. We did have a Lab/Samoyed that destroyed the House. She even chewed teh Beds,Porch,Mattress and alot more.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

I have 3 ball crazy dogs who will fight over the ball a Boston terrier, Lab, and Australian shepherd mix. I have to play fetch with them seperately. It works out very well.
Ahhh, but it's so hard for us to keep them separated, if one goes out, they all want out, if one comes in, they all want in.

Originally Posted by mews2much

We had a Pure bred German Shorthair Pointer and she was Great. She died at age 15. We did have a Lab/Samoyed that destroyed the House. She even chewed teh Beds,Porch,Mattress and alot more.
I wish I could say Lilly was "great", but she's not.

Our Lab is the most well-behaved one. She was a little crazy when she came home as a puppy, but she's not anymore.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, but it's so hard for us to keep them separated, if one goes out, they all want out, if one comes in, they all want in.
Have you tried? I bet if you had a fun ball outside with her and someone else occupied the other dogs inside it would work out.

I wish I could say Lilly was "great", but she's not.
She is great! All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.

Our Lab is the most well-behaved one. She was a little crazy when she came home as a puppy, but she's not anymore.
I love labs! My new dog is a lab and I love her to death

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you tried? I bet if you had a fun ball outside with her and someone else occupied the other dogs inside it would work out.

She is great! All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.

I love labs! My new dog is a lab and I love her to death
We've tried a few times, the only way they don't try to find the others is if someone's actually gone from the house and takes the other dogs "for a ride"..

Ahhhh, I'll send her off to you then for a few weeks.. I think we'd all enjoy the peace.

Our lab was our first dog, and we all say that she's the most well-behaved one..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All it takes is training and exercise! Any dog can be a good dog. If you believe in her she will be a good dog. Take her on long walks every day. Teach her tricks. Keep her mind working.
Especially the training part. Once you've gone through a good positive-reinforcement training course with your dogs, things will change drastically. There's a mental "click" that happens in training, when the dogs come to understand and accept that you are the leader of their pack -- and suddenly they're cooperating with you instead of tearing off on their own.

But it's your responsibility to work with the dogs (all of them, not just the "problem" dog) to get to that point. Go for training! You'll see!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Especially the training part. Once you've gone through a good positive-reinforcement training course with your dogs, things will change drastically. There's a mental "click" that happens in training, when the dogs come to understand and accept that you are the leader of their pack -- and suddenly they're cooperating with you instead of tearing off on their own.

But it's your responsibility to work with the dogs (all of them, not just the "problem" dog) to get to that point. Go for training! You'll see!
They mentioned looking into an obedience training class for her, and when we're home, it's really my step-brother's responsibility to be training her and stuff, and when he isn't here, my step-dad does. She still does things that he gets on her about a lot, like running out into the street, that's one of the worst things she does.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame you. I'd be quite annoyed as well. My grandma has a little Yorkie, still a puppy. Most annoying dog I've ever seen.
She gets all excited to see you then tries to nip when you pet her. She's so sweet when she finally calms down though. I've noticed a lot of small breed dogs are nippy. I wonder why.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I don't blame you. I'd be quite annoyed as well. My grandma has a little Yorkie, still a puppy. Most annoying dog I've ever seen.
She gets all excited to see you then tries to nip when you pet her. She's so sweet when she finally calms down though. I've noticed a lot of small breed dogs are nippy. I wonder why.
Small breed dogs aren't nippy if they are trained and socialized properly. None of the small dogs I have had have been nippy and my sister's chihuahua is the sweetest most gentle dog ever. People tend to let their small breeds get away with more. Large breeds can't get away with alot because they are so big.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just one more thing and then I'll leave you alone about this: training is for the people too! It's funny, but it's true... all the dog's people have to know the same rules the dog has learned, or the dog gets mixed messages and doesn't know what to do. So the whole household really needs to be involved.

EDIT: Hey, you should talk to Nikki! (StarryEyedTiGeR) She knows ALL about dogs and I'll bet she could really help!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Just one more thing and then I'll leave you alone about this: training is for the people too! It's funny, but it's true... all the dog's people have to know the same rules the dog has learned, or the dog gets mixed messages and doesn't know what to do. So the whole household really needs to be involved.

EDIT: Hey, you should talk to Nikki! (StarryEyedTiGeR) She knows ALL about dogs and I'll bet she could really help!
I do too and will try to help with anything you need.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GSPs are stubborn by nature. Before you can get any training through that thick head of hers, you'll have to tire her out.