TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just bought a Canon 40D...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just bought a Canon 40D...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Along with a super nice lens! I am hoping that my love for pictures and taking them will give me something positive to focus on instead of the negative all the time and it will allow me to take some super awesome pictures on our trip this summer....I hope!

I ordered the book "Understanding Exposure" and will be reading the manual once it arrives and will have about a month to practice. Does anyone else have any good advice on picture taking? I want to learn how to take pictures at certain angles to produce certain effects.

Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated!
post #2 of 10
thats excellent news..i'm looking to pick up an slr at some point too...
but i'll get an olympus...just my preference...
sorry can't give advise on using the camera....but look up ...luminous landscape in google..I believe that site gives lots of tips.
post #3 of 10
ooh you lucky sod!
i got a canon 350d so yours is alot posher!
i keep promising my self an upgrade but i cant part with my baby
post #4 of 10
My only piece of advice - get this DVD http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-C.../dp/B00112EFXO

We have the Nikon D80 version and it's fabulous for showing you how to use YOUR camera. Instructions manuals are hard to read, so the DVD shows you where the buttons are, and what to use in different situations.
post #5 of 10
Have you ever shot panoramas, where you stand in one spot and carefully rotate between shots to cover 360 degrees? You can paste the resulting photos together physically in a frame, or use photoediting software to "stitch" them seamlessly together before printing. Really cool!
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistressotdark View Post
thats excellent news..i'm looking to pick up an slr at some point too...
but i'll get an olympus...just my preference...
sorry can't give advise on using the camera....but look up ...luminous landscape in google..I believe that site gives lots of tips.
thanks for the tip! Your pictures are really neat and I can only imagine how you do it. I thought you had an SLR camera with those shots you've taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
My only piece of advice - get this DVD http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-C.../dp/B00112EFXO



We have the Nikon D80 version and it's fabulous for showing you how to use YOUR camera. Instructions manuals are hard to read, so the DVD shows you where the buttons are, and what to use in different situations.
I'll take a look at the dvd for sure. I also like Nikon. I have a Nikon coolpix for my birding scope. Maybe now I can actually use it with a better tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixietina View Post
ooh you lucky sod!
i got a canon 350d so yours is alot posher!
i keep promising my self an upgrade but i cant part with my baby
I still have my Konica Minolta digital and I will keep it because it is still one of the best macro cameras!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Have you ever shot panoramas, where you stand in one spot and carefully rotate between shots to cover 360 degrees? You can paste the resulting photos together physically in a frame, or use photoediting software to "stitch" them seamlessly together before printing. Really cool!
I have not done one, but I would love to learn how!

I am excited or at least as excited as I can be. It is something I hope will keep me distracted so I don't constanly dwell on the bad. Maybe I'll even learn something.
post #7 of 10
Congats on your purchase Hope you have a lot of fun with it. You could take a look here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
and join up. Expect criticism but most of all enjoy!!
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
I am excited or at least as excited as I can be. It is something I hope will keep me distracted so I don't constantly dwell on the bad. Maybe I'll even learn something.
check around the community colleges in your area for 'continuing education' courses. even 4-year universities offer them. they're usually once a week, evening classes, taught by professors [sometimes TAs] & you can learn all sorts of stuff.
i've taken courses in calligraphy [still use that one on occasion] & watercolor painting. learned some interesting techniques in the latter.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
check around the community colleges in your area for 'continuing education' courses. even 4-year universities offer them. they're usually once a week, evening classes, taught by professors [sometimes TAs] & you can learn all sorts of stuff.
i've taken courses in calligraphy [still use that one on occasion] & watercolor painting. learned some interesting techniques in the latter.
I've thought about joining the photograhpy club in the city I work, but can't remember when they are or when the year starts up again. Will have to find out once we have another Audubon meeting.
post #10 of 10
Awesome! I am thinking of getting a Nikon D40x with my tax incentive check whenever that comes in-let me know how you like your new camera once you get used to it & be sure to post some pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just bought a Canon 40D...