tail problems...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What apears to be the head/mid section of his tail is putting alot of pain on my cat.

Before you say, take him to the vet, already done, and he said hes fine, didnt really look at him, thats due to the fact, he hates anything going near his tail.

it apears he banged it in a door. yeah, painful... anything i can do which will make him feel better?

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to criticize your Vet, but how can a cat in pain, and displaying that pain, be determined to be alright?????

It's awfully hard to do anything if you cannot touch his tail. With a broken or fractured tail...sometimes it's recommended to put the tail through a tube, such as an empty toilet paper roll, and then secure it with gauze wrap. In this way, the tail may heal itself. My cat got his tail caught in the door, it wasn't broken...just bent a bit....without any treatment, it fixed itself.

Perhaps your cat can take care of it himself...and just by your not touching him.....it will heal. I don't know....just a suggestion.

Poor kitty!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gaogier

What apears to be the head/mid section of his tail is putting alot of pain on my cat.

Before you say, take him to the vet, already done, and he said hes fine, didnt really look at him, thats due to the fact, he hates anything going near his tail.

it apears he banged it in a door. yeah, painful... anything i can do which will make him feel better?
How can the vet determine the cat is fine if he didn't really look at him? You need to have a vet that isn't afraid to examine your cat to determine if the tail is broken or just hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, he just said its common... he wont operate on my other cats until they are at-least 1 year old (getting the chop)

I will use the roll idea... do i just tape it on? and hope for the best?

He said that he can move his tail, so he is not worried... ok, but it hurts when it moves... it cost £130 for this...

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the cat can move his tail, then it is more likely a sprain...just like when you sprain your finger or stub your toe. It hurts like heck and don't dare touch it....but it will heal on its own.
If in fact, that is the case...then just let the cat deal with it. He'll move or not move his tail based on the pain. Just don't touch his tail.

With the roll, yes, slip it on, and try to lightly tape it on. It will support the tail while it heals from it's accident. Just like a cast will help a bone heal. I'm sure your cat will fight you about putting it on....

Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gaogier

well, he just said its common... he wont operate on my other cats until they are at-least 1 year old (getting the chop)
good grief, where are you? i've NEVER heard of waiting until the cats are a year old before spay/neuter - if they're boys, they'll already be spraying, trying to get out... if they're girls, they'll have had 3-4 heats by then, & be trying to get out, calling, et.
check out this website: spay usa... assuming you are in the U.S.? you might be able to find a place where you can get them done before then. my local place only requires a weight of 2 pounds before the op.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not sure! I can say that his tail is not looking right. He has a problem laying down and sitting. Our vet is good, he have us options on the getting the chop even though both have not sprayed

I dont see how the tail thing can work. I understand how but tail is smaller than the tub it will just fall off. Would getting pet insurance now help pay for the vet bills

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

The vet said he has a fractured tail it will get better with some meds

If no improvement tail will come off

I want to know what it is like to have a cat tailless

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I too have to ask where do you live? If I understood right that your current vet doesn't neuter cats until they're one year old as a matter of policy, you really need to find another practice ASAP and get a second opinion on the tail, etc. Are there any other vet practices in your area? A humane society - anybody? I know you're trying to do the best for your baby, but I'm really wondering about your vet's qualifications, based on your description so far.

And, your vet should have already discussed with you possible outcomes if surgery were necessary and provided you with some resources so you can make an informed decision. A lot of cats without tails are just fine, but it would be nice to have a skilled surgeon involved and for you to know what to expect.

The best of luck with your little one - I hope you can find the help you both need for his health.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We dont see the same vet... Its always different, this vet was a stand in vet from Poland... He strongly suggested that its better to get the cats chopped at 1 years old.

We are getting them chopped when we saved up a little more cash so we can treat them when they get home... They are indoor cats which like to watch people do their thing in the field next door. If they see a mouse ect they will go for it, but never leave 50m radius.

I say we are going to get them done when we give them their first shots... thats due to it being a little cheaper as-well as both getting done at same time.

I sound like a bad person, i am not, just out of work, due to waiting for huge operation my self. So atm every pence i get counts... Just got them a 7.5KG bag of dry food, which was £4 off... it cost about £10.99 from jollyes

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting back - and, I don't think anyone thought you were a bad person, but might not be getting the best vet advice available. But, I know you're doing the best you can, and if love can heal your baby, he's going to have tons of that. In a perfect world, I think I'd still like to get a second opinion from a different practice, but sometimes thing just don't work out perfectly.

Interesting...I wonder if all Polish-trained vets feel that waiting til a year til neutering is the best approach. In the US, it seems like early neutering (at 2 pounds) is becoming far more accepted.

Good luck to you and your kitty.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
second vets meds have made all the improvement...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what do you think of this?

any ideas?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a kitty at the shelter right now with a tail like that. People found him as a stray (they unintentionally ran over his tail, causing the damage). Brought him to us as they cannot keep him.

The tail is "dead". So, our vet suggested removing it. He is constantly getting his tail shut in his cage door, etc.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shasha had gotten the tip of her tail slammed in a door. She was in an awful lot of pain and the vet removed the tip about 1/4 inch the next day. The rest of her tail is normal and she recovered. The tail is part of the cats backbone and I would think it is something to take care of.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
got another appointment today,

you see, the first time, said its brused, second time, tehy said it could be broken but did not xrays, and today they will give him xray we hope.

he is perectly happy untill something touches his tail...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has lost his tail...

Not sure what has happened, but what are your experences with it?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Many cats can do without tails. I have one that looks like she is a Manx. She has no tail and has done fine for 15 years without one. My other girl, Carly, has a tail that has no feeling and doesn't function. I'm surprised that it wasn't amputated. But she seems to do fine except we need to make sure we aren't stepping on it.

If the cat is using the litter box properly, then I think your troubles should be over. Keep an eye on the wound for infection.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he has never used a litter box....

if i didnt know better, i would say he never goes...

I need to check?

Not sure how much of his tail has gone....

from my pic i think its only the bent part...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he went to the bathroom, and it was diarrhea with some blood.

took him to vets. She said that the vet who done the surgery may of cut his stomach with the tube... as its swollen.

Now has medication to fix this, and should improve.

I have to give him special cat food, or rice and chicken.

He dose not like this cat food, the vet said that every cat she has had loves this food.

I am asking, what is the recipe for the rice and chicken home made food?