Switching wet foods?

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My breeder says she is introducing my kitten to Proplan wet food and Whiskas in the packets. Obviously, this is not the wet food that I want her to be eating once I get her. Do you have to wean kittens off of wet food when you change it the same way that you do with dry? (Mixing 3 parts, 2 parts, etc?) Or is it different?

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i believe you do, although i am weaning my kittens off of their previous dry food, i gave them a different wet food... their little tummies didn't like it too much~

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SSmith0385

My breeder says she is introducing my kitten to Proplan wet food and Whiskas in the packets. Obviously, this is not the wet food that I want her to be eating once I get her. Do you have to wean kittens off of wet food when you change it the same way that you do with dry? (Mixing 3 parts, 2 parts, etc?) Or is it different?
If you mean do you have to gradually change over to the new food with wet, the answer is no, not usually. You do with dry food or it can cause loose stool or other intestinal issues. Even then, it depends on the cat since I have changed dry food abruptly for Bijou and Mika and had no issues whatsoever.

The problem I find with wet food is that cats are picky little boogers. Our two will only eat 2 flavours of Merricks and I've tried at least 10 different quality brands. So that being said, if you have difficulty getting your kitten to eat what you want to feed, then you may have to add some of the food you want to the food the cat is already eating, gradually increasing the amount of the new food over a period of a week to ten days or so. Otherwise, no problem switching wet foods abruptly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can mix a little of both together. I have stacks of canned food - they get a new one every other meal. Its the dry you have to switch more slowly.