Siamese!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any Siamese breeders/owners on the forum? I am getting two Siamese kittens (they are in my sig) in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you had particular advice for taking care of and raising Siamese cats, and I also wondered if you had any particular stories about the Siamese cats that you have raised, or litters of kittens you have had, etc.

I had a Lynx Point CPSH when I was young and I have always wanted another Lynx and a real Meezer.

Thanks everyone!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIrst of all, your kittens are ADORABLE! Congratulations1

I am not a breeder, but I have had siamese. I love them, it's a fantastic decision. Be prepared for loving partners, who are brave, loud and love to love and be loved

I suggest taking them with you places (in the car, pet food stores, etc.) and harness training them young, they are very brave cats and you can have A LOT of fun with a siamese!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, that is what I am looking for! Thanks so much Imunsie! I hadn't heard that they could harness trained. I mean, cats in general probably can be, but I think it would be really fun to take the kitties via harness to Pet Supplies Plus when we went to pick up their supplies. Or to the park (we have great parks here). Plus, if they are harness trained, hopefully I can get them to assume that harness = going outside, no harness means inside. I intend for them to be INSIDE kitties unless I am with them!

By the way, Cello is quite gorgeous. Kismet too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou and Mika, the kitties in my signature, have been harness trained and we would take them for walks around the neighbourhood in the nice summer evenings. Both of them love the car (they didn't at first of course). We take them with us to the hardware store, the library, pretty much anyplace where they will allow the animals in. One night my hubby and I were at our local hardware store and while hubby was finding the items he wanted, I let Bijou walk around on harness and leash to check out the store.

They both have us wrapped around their beautiful paws.

Congratulations - you are going to have years of pleasure. I cannot see the photos for some reason, but I have no doubt they are beautiful.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat can be harness trained if you want. I keep mine inside so no need for a harness

Siamese are very people oriented and talkative, so be prepared to be helped in EVERYTHING you are doing
The kittens are cute - have you picked out names?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are especially easy to train (harness and otherwise) because they are brave. Also, they LOVE to climb up high
haha I am so excited for you

Cello is even an adoptee, got him when he was 7 and within a week he was harness trained, and you are right! my cats know harness = outside, no harness = insde. You are going to have SO much fun

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yosemite- Great story! Bijou and Mika are gorgeous! Bijou has AMAZING eyes! Wowza. Their photos are part of my signature, but I want to add the real photos to a thread that I will put where it belongs!

GoldenKitty - I think I will like to be helped.
The fluffy little lynx is a girl, and we want to call her Pixel, after the kitty from The Cat Who Walked Through Walls by Robert Heinlein, although I have seen that there is another member with a Pixel named after the same cat from the same book. I say... She has good taste! The seal point is a boy, and we want to name him Bamf, which is the noise that Nightcrawler (our favorite of the X-men) makes when he teleports, plus it is a cute name for a cat. It is also an acronym that stands for something slightly not family friendly that my husband thought was ridiculously funny. I think it is cute anyway, so we compromised. I will let you try and figure out what it stands for...

Imunsie - I think I will too! I am SO excited!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

hopefully I can get them to assume that harness = going outside, no harness means inside. I intend for them to be INSIDE kitties unless I am with them!
My 3 understand they only go out when the harnesses are on, I can stand with the door wide open and they won't come out.

Your kittens are adorable

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Oriental Shorthairs, which are the same as Siamese but in different colours. 2 boys of 18 months and 15 months. They are so loving, they spend a lot of time glued to our laps purring and just watch out if they think you are not paying them enough attention (ie if you are doing anything else besides focussing 100% on them!) I am sitting here typing this post with cats climbing on me, patting my face and bellowing at me. They are a bit naughty and LOUD too
I adore them.

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am getting a Tonkinese kitten in a few weeks. How do I go about harness training? I would really like for her to learn to walk on a lead. When you guys talk about taking your cats to pet stores, do you ever have a problem with the dogs that are there??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to the OP - I"m assuming both will be spayed and neutered before you get them - kittens as young as 4 months old can and do breed - you don't want them to be breeding

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty - Alas, the breeder is not fixing them for me. They will be about 13 weeks old when I get them. I am in the process of scheduling their appointment to be spayed/neutered shortly after I bring them home. Mithril's vet does not spay/neuter that young, so I am searching for a local vet that won't make me wait until they are 6 months. But trust me, I am not going to let them breed! I want happy kitties with long lives and no accidental litters.

Thanks for the compliments and advice everyone! If anyone has anymore advice or stories, please feel free to share. Everyone is so friendly here! (as long as you love and care about cats, too, anyway!)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SSmith0385

How do I go about harness training?
Mine were easy, I put the harness on and took them outside, they all got it right away.

I put the harnesses on at the door, then let them walk out. The harness comes off as soon as we come back in the door.

Mine only go in my garden or up to mums house.

Congrats on your new kitten

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Seal Point Siamese and my Brother had a Lilac Point Siamese. She was 15.5 Years old when she died. My Coco is half Siamese her Mom was a Seal Point but she is Black and White. Only kitten that wasnt Siamese looking in the litter. My Sister went to get a Siamese Kitten and took Coco because no one wanted her. She is 16. I hear they live long. Maui my Sisters Cat is half Siamese. Her Mom is a Seal Point and I almost took her Mom but got Sasha instead.

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a seal point siamese, Bella
she was the best cat ever! She was my special buddy, she followed me everywhere slept on me or under the covers with me every night, sat on me, talked to me... Id look at her and she purred! lol So when she passed (she was only 4 and had an undiscovered blood disorder), I knew Id have to get another... this is absolutely my favorite breed now!

btw! Your new kitties are gorgeous and I love their names!!!

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you Jesi!! I am very excited about bringing them home and spoiling them rotten.
You're Welcome!~ I bet you are!!! I so cannot wait to see more pictures of them once they are home with you!

I can hardly contain myself either... I have a hold on a beautiful little siamese and just found out her sister is now available after someone couldnt pay for the deposit (something happened with their check), so we decided to get her sister too!!! Yay.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

The fluffy little lynx is a girl, and we want to call her Pixel, after the kitty from The Cat Who Walked Through Walls by Robert Heinlein, although I have seen that there is another member with a Pixel named after the same cat from the same book. I say... She has good taste!
why, thank you!
i think i've figured out the acronym, too!

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last siamese I had, seemed to have a weak stomache, she threw up a lot. Does anyone else have this problem and if so is there a type of kitty food thats more easily digestable, just in case my new girls have the same problem? TIA!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My SunLi throws up when she eats dry cat food. Of course I think it's because she doesn't chew it, but swallows it whole. She doesn't throw up after eating wet food.