cramps (lady subject)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How bad do you get menstral cramps? When I was on the Depo shot I didn't get cramps often but when I did they were bad. Now that I'm off the shot I keep getting them off and on. Sometimes they hurt so bad I get dizzy. I've told my nurse about it before but she doesn't really say anything. She askes if I've had a period and I tell her no. I haven't had one in like four years.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I'm on the pill - it's one where I'm only off the hormones for 4 days instead of 7 (yay! lol) and my cramps do vary each month, but basically I get them RIGHT at the beginning of my flow, like basically if I'm not wearing any kind of feminine protection for some reason and I feel those cramps, I know it's time to hit the bathroom ASAP! (But I'm on the Diva Cup bandwagon now lol and am actually expecting my first "results" with it any hour now) Occasionally my cramps are curl-in-the-fetal-position-and-don't-move but most times they're bad, but I can handle them

If you're not menstruating and still very crampy, I'd hit the doctor's and get a full "lady check up" lol... even if you don't find anything wrong, I'd rather know for sure that I'm simply crampy than wonder if there's something else goin on in hoo-ha land

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not allowed to be on the Pills and get very sick every month. I hate Periods. I get Golfball size Blood Clots and had Severe Anemia. I was on three 325 mgs of Iron before. Now I am on two 325 Irin Pills but am always tired. I was sick four days last week with terrible cramps.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an endometriosis discussion going on right now as well. My cramps are pretty bad, not nearly as bad when I am on the pill. Endo and fibroids can cause abnormal bleeding (heavy, or light) and severe cramps. Maybe Polycystic Ovarian Disease can cause this? I don't know much about that condition.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cramps are horrible on the first day and mild the second and then they go away. The first day is awful though, I can't eat anything or else I end up in the bathroom all day, I can't stand up, I break out in a cold sweat. By the end of the first day the cramps have eased up enough so that I can function but then I'm really weak.

Unfortunately, I've tried every pain reliever there is and nothing seems to work for me... I just have to deal with it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

There is an endometriosis discussion going on right now as well. My cramps are pretty bad, not nearly as bad when I am on the pill. Endo and fibroids can cause abnormal bleeding (heavy, or light) and severe cramps. Maybe Polycystic Ovarian Disease can cause this? I don't know much about that condition.
I thought of the endometriosis thread as well. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166601 I had 6 miscarriages as a result of that, and used to have such bad cramps that I'd sometimes pass out. Six years ago, I had a benign tumor on my uterus, and "keyhole surgery" wasn't successful, because I had horrible abdominal adhesions due to the endometriosis. I ended up having extensive abdominal surgery and a hysterectomy, and have been pain-free since then, though my recovery was really slow (6+ months).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

My cramps are horrible on the first day and mild the second and then they go away. The first day is awful though, I can't eat anything or else I end up in the bathroom all day, I can't stand up, I break out in a cold sweat. By the end of the first day the cramps have eased up enough so that I can function but then I'm really weak.

Unfortunately, I've tried every pain reliever there is and nothing seems to work for me... I just have to deal with it.
No pain relievers work for me either. Heating pads seem to make it worse. I just have to lay there in pain until they go away. Which usually isn't long thank goodness. This is going to sound weird but I discovered that eating something with sugar in it helps a bit.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine were [don't have periods anymore
] bad enough when i was younger that i took the pill [there was only one then - mid 70s] to alleviate them, even tho i practiced abstinence for BC. after being on the pill for about 10 years, i went off. the cramps never returned as bad as they were - they had lessened so that OTC pain relief was effective.
still glad i stopped early, tho - i was only 40 when my periods stopped.

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

mine were bad enough when i was younger that i took the pill [there was only one then - mid 70s] to alleviate them, even tho i practiced abstinence for BC. after being on the pill for about 10 years, i went off. the cramps never returned as bad as they were - they had lessened so that OTC pain relief was effective.
Same here. I've been off the pill for a couple years now and the cramps are pretty bad, but totally manageable with ibuprofen. Not like when I was younger and NOTHING worked to dull the pain.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter told me that she never gets cramps. It is a good thing that I love her because after she told me that I told her that I hated her.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I'm on the pill ...if I'm not wearing any kind of feminine protection for some reason and I feel those cramps, I know it's time to hit the bathroom ASAP!
haha ditto. I get them pretty varied too... enough normally to put me in a grumpy mood. One day i had them SO bad though, and we had no medicin, that i called 3 friends, none of which could get me anything, and then my mom finnally came home. I was BAWLING and clinging to the wall in pain and she wouldnt go to get me meds right away. Youd think shed know the feeling huh?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

haha ditto. I get them pretty varied too... enough normally to put me in a grumpy mood. One day i had them SO bad though, and we had no medicin, that i called 3 friends, none of which could get me anything, and then my mom finnally came home. I was BAWLING and clinging to the wall in pain and she wouldnt go to get me meds right away. Youd think shed know the feeling huh?
Haha, I bet your mom would've come back with a "well when I was young we didn't have special cramp medicine and I had to deal with it" stories hahaha

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have PCOS and horrid periods so bad i can easily spend my entire period in the fetal position crying and trying to use a heating pad to help. It's unbearable sometimes. My doctor put me on Yaz to help with some of the symptoms and I also take Ponstel a few days before, and during my period- it is the ONLY thing that helps. It's formulated especially for period cramps/etc so you'll need a prescription- but it works soooooo well. I can actually function with limited pain when i take Ponstel
It's a lifesaver for me!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, cramps! I used to get some pretty decent cramps, but since I started regularly taking birth control pills (not long after I was married, so almost 3 years), the pain from cramps has continually lessened. The longer I am on the pill, the less I feel any cramps and the lighter my flow.

Instead of cramps, my symptoms are a really terrible headache for 2-3 days before I start, and I am always VERY tired. Which naturally makes me grouchy. But otherwise, usually nothing. The headache is tough though. Nothing helps it, just like some of you poor ladies' cramps. It makes it very difficult to think straight!

to all the ladies, young and old. We need hugs when we feel crappy, and we feel that way once a month, dangit. Monthly hugs for all!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it feels like somebody's grabbing my mommy parts and trying to rip them out. That's the only way I can describe the pain.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Instead of cramps, my symptoms are a really terrible headache for 2-3 days before I start, and I am always VERY tired. Which naturally makes me grouchy. But otherwise, usually nothing. The headache is tough though. Nothing helps it, just like some of you poor ladies' cramps. It makes it very difficult to think straight!
that sounds like menstrual migraine.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

To me it feels like somebody's grabbing my mommy parts and trying to rip them out. That's the only way I can describe the pain.
Not that it's funny really but that did make me chuckle because I always describe it as "I'm birthing a cow"
I have a lot of guy friends so that is a better way to answer them when it's period time and I'm grouchy and they go "what's your problem?!" it also makes me a little less grouchy cuz it's funny to say haha

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Not that it's funny really but that did make me chuckle because I always describe it as "I'm birthing a cow"
I have a lot of guy friends so that is a better way to answer them when it's period time and I'm grouchy and they go "what's your problem?!" it also makes me a little less grouchy cuz it's funny to say haha
Men will never understand cramps, just like they will never understand the pain of birthing a child.