Ugh....so frustrated about spaying

chele721

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I contacted the local low-cost spay & neuter clinic. Tomorrow morning they open their phone lines at 8am to start booking for June appointments. They only open to the public once every month for appointments. The lady I spoke with said they usually fill all appointments within the first hour or two....especially at this time of year. She warned me it is very difficult to get through because they have only 1 lady and 1 phone line to take all the calls....so she suggested to just keep hitting redial. Also they told me all the kittens would have to be completely weaned so Bella would have enough time to dry up or it could cause problems with her mammory glands because that is where the incision is. She suggested I give the kittens away now so Bella can dry up. They are only 7 weeks and I am not willing to adopt them out until they are at least 10 weeks. I feel bad saying this but Bella is in a constant heat cycle and has been for 2 weeks. She is driving all of us insane.
It is hard to even be around her. So my question is how do I keep the kittens from nursing on mama. They do eat dry food and drink water...but still occasionally nurse. Do I need to just keep her separated from the kittens from here on out? That just sounds so cruel to me. Please...I need suggestions. Thanks in advance.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a vet suggesting you wean them early? I wouldn't. I understand her driving everyone nuts with being in heat, but if the kittens aren't ready to be separated from their mother, it's not a good idea to force it early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chele721

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The lady who told me that was the lady at the low cost spay & neuter clinic. I was kinda shocked she told me that...and especially to find the kittens new homes now. They are just 7 weeks today....way to early in my opinion and from what I read.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you contact other vets, or do you have to have low-cost for Belle.

You can separate the kittens from mom, as long as they are still kept together for socialization and play time. Maybe put a sock on mom so they cannot nurse.

Belle can still hang out with them for short periods of time.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Can you contact other vets, or do you have to have low-cost for Belle.

You can separate the kittens from mom, as long as they are still kept together for socialization and play time. Maybe put a sock on mom so they cannot nurse.

Belle can still hang out with them for short periods of time.
ditto to what she said. Keep the kittens till around 12 weeks though.