Cesar Milan "Dog Whisperer"

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been meaning to make a post here about this for a while, but what are your thoughts on his techniques? They work really well for me (my dog was agressive off and on and extremely posessive over his toys, but using his techniques I was able to work him around that and he's much better now). However, I've heard that some trainers don't care for his methods at all.
Any thoughts?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard some people don’t care for his method as well but all I can say is “I LOVE YOU CESAR!!” I love him!! My boyfriend and I (I swear I don’t have to hold my bf down to watch it LOL) watch him as much as possible. In fact just the other day my boyfriend walked his first dog perfectly! He knew how to be a pack leader, knew how to get her attention when she went after birds, how to train her to sit and what to do if she didn’t sit for him and this was all his first experience with a dog. We were actually talking about writing him just to thank him for that. He knew how to do everything just by watching a show.

I also learned how to give my German shepherd big pills and how to cut her nails without a fuss. We went from have three people holding her down in a struggle to a 2 second procedure that was loving.

As well as he taught us how to make an aggressive dog less aggressive to cats to the point where the dog will actually groom and love at cats!

Some people are against him because he has lawsuits. Which is bad because he only has two, one is from someone that worked with him, something about money and one was because a dog fell and hurt his leg… cant see how that makes him bad.

I have nothing but love for Cesar. I think hes great. Rescuing animals and training people to understand their dogs on a level that their dog can understand is great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness, I'm relieved that you agree with me!
I was starting to think for a while that I was just going insane by thinking he was incredible - both for how he understands dogs and how he manages to translate it over to people who have a hard time understanding things like that.

Actually, I have an OCD-like symptom due to him...I can't stand to look at any person who walks their dogs in front of them. It drives me nuts! More than once I've felt the urge to roll down the car window screaming "heel! heel! heel!" at the top of my longs.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think pretty well the only problem I have with him is the "Alpha Roll" as people call it. When he holds the aggressive dog down to the floor, to force the dog to submit. I know that there is a warning saying to not attempt, but seriously, how many people will listen to that?

Other than that, I don't mind the rest of his methods.

I've read two of his books and watched almost every single episode.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only watched his show a few times but what I have seen of him he seems to know what he is talking about. One show I watched he used a functioning pack of dogs to rehab a dog. That is an unusual way of doing it but it seemed to work and it does make sense. I have also watched the British woman on 'It's Me or the Dog' and I like what she does to. I am glad the trend seems to be towards rewards based training rather than scolding and punishing. It's much more effective and certainly easier on the dog and the owner. They both look at it as changing the owners attitude and practices.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watch a lot of dog trainers, and read books, etc. I prefer to be objective and listen to what they all have to say. Then I take bits and pieces that are useful to me and incorporate it into my training methods. There's always going to be something that someone doesn't agree with, no matter who the trainer is.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few of his methods i disagree with- the main one being the alpha roll. It is just plain stupid! As someone who works with animals on a daily basis ( i work for animal control) and I also am training to be a Search and Rescue dog handler- that is probably the worst way you could work with an aggressive dog- if you're not an experienced handler- (or even if you are) it's probably one of the best ways to get yourself bit. He should know better on that one.

Some of his material is ok- some of it is benificial- but i disagree with a lot of what he does and happily choose other techniques over his. Probably my favorite book as far as obedience/training goes is "The Loved Dog" - Tamar Geller- she knows her stuff and has some excellent non-aggressive advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use mostly his methods - however, like bnwalker, I'm not at all against other dog trainers either. I compare his methods somewhat to horse training. There are tons of different ways to get a horse to cooperate but still promote a strong, healthy relationship between the horse and rider. Some of them like Parelli are just very public and popular because they have steps and a plan to follow. A lot of people like this especially when they don't just 'get it' like other people. Cesar seems to understand dogs and how they act, like the Parelli methods, he has a 'schedule' to follow to help people work their way through their dogs issues instead of stumbling blindly trying to fix the problem themself.

It doesn't mean it's the only way - it just means he has a very method that, while it may not be easy, it's very effective and people like that.

Man, that post one one huge ramble - I'm not sure if it makes any sense. If it doesn't, ignore me.

Edit: I don't completely disagree with the alpha roll, but if you aren't aware of what you're doing, it can go wrong quickly. IMO it's not a bad thing, but it's not completely good, either.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like him, even though I'm dog-less right now... I'm not crazy about the alpha roll, and I'm sure people have tried it without developing the confidence they need. Cesar has that and can go in and break the aggression.

As he says... he doesn't train dogs... he trains people... many people (I've known a few) tend to treat their dogs like babies (especially toy breeds) and let the dog walk all over them, lifestyle-wise. I know a lady who never walks her dogs... and they go completely berserk. She crates them at night and while she's out of the house... all that pent up energy in those two is gonna make 'em go nutso. She was back in Chicago... when I was readying to move here, I heard her mention she has an appt with a Cesar Milan trained dog trainer... I hope that he helped... I haven't had a chance to talk with her much...

Unlike cats, you own the dog, the dog should not own you. If you do, that dog runs you, your household and your life. I like Cesar... and when I get a rescued dog, I'm going to pay even more attention (if that's possible) to his teachings...

Amanda

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

There are quite a few of his methods i disagree with- the main one being the alpha roll. It is just plain stupid! As someone who works with animals on a daily basis ( i work for animal control) and I also am training to be a Search and Rescue dog handler- that is probably the worst way you could work with an aggressive dog- if you're not an experienced handler- (or even if you are) it's probably one of the best ways to get yourself bit. He should know better on that one.

Some of his material is ok- some of it is benificial- but i disagree with a lot of what he does and happily choose other techniques over his. Probably my favorite book as far as obedience/training goes is "The Loved Dog" - Tamar Geller- she knows her stuff and has some excellent non-aggressive advice.
I've seen volunteers come to help out at the shelter here use one of his "techniques" & almost loose his face. The dog paid the consequences, & that one "technique" made the dog extremely fearful & aggressive, or brought that side of the dog out. (That said, the dog did have some issues previously that we had seen)

I personally think he's a quack asking to get attacked.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love his techniques and believe that he knows what he is doing.

It's the subtle things that he does. Something as simple as explaining that most "bad" behavior stems from dogs having too much energy--they just need to be walked every day.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand his thought s and reasons but do not use his advice much as each dog is different ... I did roll my terrier once and only ONCE it did work and my other training made her a easy to handle girl ... MOST of Ceaser s training is for TOP alpha dogs which amazingly are NOT the ave dog... Yes Used for a NON top dog the training COULD make a AGGRESSIVE animal

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, you got me started. I absolutely hate Cesar Milan. While the theory of placing yourself in the alpha position is absolutely spot on, his methods to do so are excessively cruel. The original "Dog Listener" is Jan Fennel, which Cesar so blatantly borrowed his name from. Jan's technique places yourself in the alpha role, but by using gentle techniques that dogs use in natural packs.

The difference between their techniques is like comparing Hitler to Gandhi. I ask you: as a person, who's leadership style would you be more willing to follow? One that dominates/demands compliance, or one that leads by showing compassionate leadership?

It is not well published, but he was sued at least once for killing a dog in his care. His "choking" method crushed a windpipe and the dog (owned by a lawyer) had to be euthanized. That's when his "don't try this at home" warnings started.

To show how her techniques work. My DH went out of town for a wedding one weekend. That weekend I went to a lecture by Jan Fennel, went home, and made 2 minor adjustments to how I lead my 2 dogs: Ate a cracker before I fed them, and didn't allow them out the door in front of me. When DH got home the next day, he asked me what happened to the dogs because they were so relaxed and happy. An alpha always eats first, and an alpha always leads the pack. My dogs were happy because I did 2 things differently that had confused their relationship to me in the past.

Best book on dog behavior: Jan Fennel's The Dog Listener. It is worth its weight in gold.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister swears by his techniques. She has a 7 month old Great Dane who is PERFECTLY behaved. Moreso than any dog I have ever met. She raves about Cesar to anyone who will listen.

ETA: I have never seen my sister do anything cruel to this dog, so I'm not sure what cruel methods you are talking about Momofmany

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't really watched it recently to know if it's the same.. but I know there used to be things that bothered me about his methods. Like seeing him take a terrified dog and force it to be near the thing that scared it until it finally settled down, exhausted. I just don't agree with things like that. I don't think he's all bad. But his methods are definitely not for every dog, and I cringe a little at all the people that take it upon themselves to try it.

I don't really like the idea of making my dog walk close beside/behind me like he does.. She is taught to walk loose-leash, meaning she can be in front of me, behind me, wherever, as long as the leash doesn't pull tight. I like to give her the freedom to sniff around as we walk, and just call her to heel if I need her to. I don't believe letting her walk in front of me sometimes means she doesn't respect me as she would otherwise.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it seems to me from the few times i have seen his show.
that most of it is common sense to me.

the "alpha roll" my not work all the time.
but at home, Someone does need to play that roll

like some other people said, i dont care for his leash, thing.
My dog was all over the place, but could come back next to me when told to, sit when i said, etc.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prefer Stanley Coren, who sounds similar to Jan Fennel (I've heard of the cracker thing from one episode of Coren's show)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

When he holds the aggressive dog down to the floor, to force the dog to submit
I don't like that either, or the use of choke chains.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scares me how many people actually think that man is someone who's advice should be followed. And worse - who actually do follow it. That's the sort of thing keeps me awake at night.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Scares me how many people actually think that man is someone who's advice should be followed. And worse - who actually do follow it. That's the sort of thing keeps me awake at night.
I definitely agree. My sister is quite a Cesar M. fan. She quotes him like a pastor citing a Bible passage. Scary...